Sign in to follow this  
shinRaiden

Ride through chernobyl

Speaking of the not-so-gaping maw of hades:

photojournal

Comments from folks? I wasn't all that old when it went melty. My grandfather tells stories though of his days in Los Alamos back before they did robotic testing.

The picture of the chair though is the most eerie imho.

Strange. Spooky. Depressing.

To see everyone just suddenly leave and leave everything as it was.

Very spooky and very sad, but at the same time it just makes me want to play STALKER even more smile_o.gif

Jez, no wonder those people develeoping STALKER took that ghost town for their scenario.

A couple of guys I know were recently on a STALKER press tour and they got to visit the Chernobyl area. They were quite moved of what they had seen. Seemed very surreal to them, and from watching these pictures I can understand why. Very interesting stuff.

Why was that chair picture so scary? rock.gif

I'd like to visit that town. If the pics were this eerie, what about the real thing? crazy_o.gif

Its compleletly unreal looking, imagine walking through there, a completly deserted area. It must be like something out of a stephen king novel. I can understand the stories about the silence freaking people out biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]There were cases of radiactive tv sets and other stuff being sold on city second hand markets and then police shot 7 or 8 of them and it helped

lol!

What a supremely cool site. Like it a lot.

Sobering and fascinating.

Last place in Europe you can find wild horses.

It would be if it was IN europe.

That site was undoubtedly one of the best I've ever seen. I've been to places where everyone just got up and left everything and somewhere you'd expect a lot of noise, such as a village or town, is just quiet. There's some towns around man-made lakes in Northern England like that (kilder, for one) which had settlements in but had to be abandonded when the water companies said they were going to flood it. now all that's left is a few buildings and a road leading into the water.. that WAS a wierd feeling..

Ditto.

Reminded me a bit of some of the tours i've made, i'd like to go to Prypiat (sp ?) one day.

I've always loved ghost towns, Pompei was the first i got to visit when i was a little boy, since then, i go back there from time to times, then came Oradour sur Glane (not sure about the spelling anymore), and finally, I had the occasion to scuba dive in a dam lake to see a ghost village. I love this kind of experiences, must be because i'm a lonely-type of person in my free-time.

I think i'm going to spare some money to pay myself a trip to Ukraine some day ....

what are you calling Europe ?

Ukraine is apart of the geographic Europe

what are you calling Europe ?

Ukraine is apart of the geographic Europe

Doh.. i thought it was in russia. Damn, poor uneducated me. wink_o.gif

Ditto.

Reminded me a bit of some of the tours i've made, i'd like to go to Prypiat (sp ?) one day.

I've always loved ghost towns, Pompei was the first i got to visit when i was a little boy, since then, i go back there from time to times, then came Oradour sur Glane (not sure about the spelling anymore), and finally, I had the occasion to scuba dive in a dam lake to see a ghost village. I love this kind of experiences, must be because i'm a lonely-type of person in my free-time.

I think i'm going to spare some money to pay myself a trip to Ukraine some day ....

It sure would be cool to visit there one day smile_o.gif One thing, I don't think it would be safe at all, surely it is ALL irridiated and you run high risk of cancer and such from being there?

reading this part was creepy

Quote[/b] ]This town might be an attractive place for tourists. Some tourists companies have been trying to arrange extrim tours in this town, but people- their customers scared and have been complaining about silence which is hard to stand in empty town. They charged 210 us dollars for 2 hours excursion and town guard say, they all were leaving in some 15 mins, complaining that silense is tremendous as if one got deaf.

Imagine no birds, no bugs no nothing

reading this part was creepy
Quote[/b] ]This town might be an attractive place for tourists. Some tourists companies have been trying to arrange extrim tours in this town, but people- their customers scared and have been complaining about silence which is hard to stand in empty town. They charged 210 us dollars for 2 hours excursion and town guard say, they all were leaving in some 15 mins, complaining that silense is tremendous as if one got deaf.

Imagine no birds, no bugs no nothing

well . you still have the 3 meters long catfishes, but i doubt those make any noise ....

It sure would be cool to visit there one day smile_o.gif One thing, I don't think it would be safe at all, surely it is ALL irridiated and you run high risk of cancer and such from being there?

give me an ANPVP, a S3P and a Geiger counter and i'll be all set....

Can't be all that risky afterall ....

with my lifestyle, past and present, i'll die either of a cancer of an heart disease/stroke (or a few other possible things, but we'll stay in the "natural" causes) so .. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Doh.. i thought it was in russia. Damn, poor uneducated me

hehe tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Very interesting that this topic came up, as the same topic with the same link came up on another forum I visit just yesterday.

As I said on that forum, the pictures make you realise a bit more clearly the affects of nuclear disasters, and how much of the world could end up being like that if a nuclear war took place.

A very cool site, many of these pictures look like things you can see in horror films and computer games. Not like something you would see in real life.

I would very much like to go there, seeing something virtually untouched by time must be very impressive. Also "hearing" the silence there must be awesome but creepy indeed.

And I also wouldn't worry too much about the dangers of going there, bring a geiger counter and some common sense (perhaps take a chemical shower afterwards? :P )

The last picture is what really impressed me, could win an award that one.

Very disturbing. Such serenity in the midst of devastation.

We know several people here who were evacuated from Chernobyl. I don't know if they would want to look back and see these pics.

Also "hearing" the silence there must be awesome but creepy indeed.

I've heard the silence in the heart of Manhattan.

When I was a kid, there was a big snow blizzard on a Friday night. I went out at around 7:30 Saturday morning. No people, no planes, no cars, no buses, no subways, no dog walkers, no joggers. The snow had stopped but the snow plow trucks were nowhere to be seen.

All I heard was the wind. For New York, it was awesome.

Later on in the morning, people were going cross country skiing up and down the main avenues. smile_o.gif