Sign in to follow this  
usmcrp

P3dedit

I was made aware of this thread going on the official forums and I just wanted to say that only 5 copies of p3dEdit are "legal"! 2 of the lucky bastards are MOD teams, 1 is a "solo" addon maker and thats all! All you other little bastards that have it illegaly, be my guests, but you could avoid this childish "I have it, you dont" showing-off and pay some respect to the people that REALY make good use of it and us that wrote it!

TNX

Flip

I was made aware of this thread going on the official forums and I just wanted to say that only 5 copies of p3dEdit are "legal"! 2 of the lucky bastards are MOD teams, 1 is a "solo" addon maker and thats all! All you other little bastards that have it illegaly, be my guests, but you could avoid this childish "I have it, you dont" showing-off and pay some respect to the people that REALY make good use of it and us that wrote it!

TNX

Flip

rgr that.And thanks for the hard work who ever it was. biggrin_o.gif

TNX

Flip

Agreed...

Quote[/b] ]hang on, youve been modelling since november, and you have been given p3dedit, ive been modelling since october last year.....

And if modelling skill qualifies you for P3Dedit, then I think that Federalist deserves a copy tounge_o.gif . From what I've seen, bmgarcangel is a reasonably good modeller, but there are much more talented people that haven't received P3Dedit rock.gif . Kind of bizarre.

hey

well, i don't know. connections hehehe biggrin_o.gif

Someone gave it to me for my mod bassically, and thats why I use it, for mod matters.

Peace

~Bmgarcangel

what would be a good question to ask is where did the leak start?  rock.gif

Ask bmgarcangel he is apperiatly the one who got the Tool from some one rock.gif

[Turns light on]

Who sended you the file

Give me the name

[/Turns light off]

Thats all tounge_o.gif

SA: I just HOPE it didnt started from you...

The problem is that we will never trust any of you guys (that we gave the tool to) ever again...

Flip

The problem is that we will never trust any of you guys (that we gave the tool to) ever again...

Flip

sad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]SA: I just HOPE it didnt started from you...

that was most certainly uncalled for. I thought we trusted each other...oh well i guess we can discuss on ICQ.

Flip

Nope it dident started with me...

altrough I got my bets on who it is.

Read 7 pages of this thread, and just had to say

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>What a bunch of Elitist Crap!!</span>

If you ever reach the state of modelling ability that myself and my peers here have reached, you will understand why this tool must be restricted, for general use at least, until then, keep your opinions to yourself.

A side thought, how about a version in which you can open and look at models but not edit them? Learning without the dangers of people stealing directly...

Perfect example of what i just said.....show me something youve modelled yourself please...what, you dont have anything? Well, in that case, let me explain that WE are not going to make addons in order to have any little kiddie, (and just look at the old ofp.info comment system before it was removed to see the kind of people we are afraid of jacking our addons) using p3dedit to open up anybodies hours of hard work and claim it as his own. This is not counterstrike.....

...and if this tool was made public, thats what would happen. Plus even if it wouldnt, imagine the accusations that would fly around as soon as someone saw an addon similar to thiers....if p3d was public, everyone would assume its a modified version of theirs, trust in the community would disintergrate....

I dont think you realise how hard modellers work, and i dont think you have thought through the consequences of releasing p3d to the public. If you could model you would understand, because you would know what we do and how discouraging it would be to have a situation as described above. Top and bottom of it, the modding community would not flourish the way it has by forcing people to think for themselves. In OFP, you want a model, you dont nick someone elses and mod it, you make your own. If you want to ruin the feel of the community, release a tool that allows people with no modelling talent to tack 2 addons together and claim it as thier own.

Call it elitist crap if you must, but its not elitist, its trying to preserve all the hard work that goes into addons. I cant say this enough, if anyone could rip into others models with say, oxygen, the number of skilled modellers would not be as high as today....

Perfect example of what i just said.....show me something youve modelled yourself please...what, you dont have anything? Well, in that case, let me explain that WE are not going to make addons in order to have any little kiddie, (and just look at the old ofp.info comment system before it was removed to see the kind of people we are afraid of jacking our addons) using p3dedit to open up anybodies hours of hard work and claim it as his own. This is not counterstrike.....

...and if this tool was made public, thats what would happen. Plus even if it wouldnt, imagine the accusations that would fly around as soon as someone saw an addon similar to thiers....if p3d was public, everyone would assume its a modified version of theirs, trust in the community would disintergrate....

I dont think you realise how hard modellers work, and i dont think you have thought through the consequences of releasing p3d to the public. If you could model you would understand, because you would know what we do and how discouraging it would be to have a situation as described above. Top and bottom of it, the modding community would not flourish the way it has by forcing people to think for themselves. In OFP, you want a model, you dont nick someone elses and mod it, you make your own. If you want to ruin the feel of the community, release a tool that allows people with no modelling talent to tack 2 addons together and claim it as thier own.

Call it elitist crap if you must, but its not elitist, its trying to preserve all the hard work that goes into addons. I cant say this enough, if anyone could rip into others models with say, oxygen, the number of skilled modellers would not be as high as today....

Thats what I mean.

But We can be lucky cause:

P3dedit Was officaly for the Public but OFPinternals Died due to: Members M.I.A and lag of time.

So people who have P3dedit:

Be happy with it and use it wise fully.

A side thought, how about a version in which you can open and look at models but not edit them? Learning without the dangers of people stealing directly...

There is already one that is called ODOLExplorer coming with WrpTool.

And I have to say that I'm with noundo on this one. And I repeat myself the second time, since nobody, really nobody, has answered my question thus far.

How often had we stolen models when all Addons were MLOD? And perhaps you don't know, there are still people who release their addons in MLOD format today, but still I have to see some unauthorized modification released under someone's else name.

I guess that majority of users of a public P3Dedit would be looking into the MLODs either for "educational" purposes or for personal modification of the addons.

Look harder rock.gif

The reason there is so few is because those CS kiddies dont have 02 anyway because its too hard for them, and they assume most models are encrypted.

Release a tool that can break into any addon, and when they hear it can, i can guarentee the cases of stealing others work will skyrocket.

Look harder rock.gif

I listed two model steals I can remember since the long history of the community. You are talking about like there were hordes of CS-kiddies just waiting to move a vertex in your model and rerelease it as their own addon.

I want to hear exactly which addon models were stolen thus far, and I'll re-ask this question until hell is frozen or someone provides me a really big list of models which were stolen from other addon makers.

Quote[/b] ]

The reason there is so few is because those CS kiddies dont have 02 anyway because its too hard for them, and they assume most models are encrypted.

Yeah, and as soon as p3dEdit is released they will be able to use p3dEdit and/or O2, which was too hard before.

Quote[/b] ]

Release a tool that can break into any addon, and when they hear it can, i can guarentee the cases of stealing others work will skyrocket.

You can guarantee nothing. I don't think that addon-steals will skyrocket because there weren't so many steals in the history of the OFP-community, although so many files are not encrypted like scripts, textures, configs.

Heck, look at Inquisitors "Do-It-Yourself"-M4! How many modifications of it were released? And this one was a very high quality-addon which was intended to be "stolen"!!!

No, I see advantages in the release of such a tool. I see abandoned Addons that can be reworked for todays quality. I see people who can modify an addon for personal use. I see people who can learn how the wizards of the addon-scene make their addons.

I hope you see that many addon makers started by editing other people's work (namely BIS). Back in those days nobody cried about it, but now there are people crying about people stealing addons, like it was happening every day and it happened to themselves.

If people can't understand O2, then they won't be able to understand P3Dedit tounge_o.gif .

If people can't understand O2, then they won't be able to understand P3Dedit tounge_o.gif .

But giving them p3dedit can make them understood it.

But i think it's still better to keep p3dedit where it belongs.

And let the n00bs look at:

brsseb his site

Quote[/b] ]But giving them p3dedit can make them understood it.

That's like saying "Give someone a car and they'll instantly learn how an internal combustion engine works".

Quote[/b] ]But giving them p3dedit can make them understood it.

That's like saying "Give someone a car and they'll instantly learn how an internal combustion engine works".

Havent readed my full post right smile_o.gif

But I think this topic about P3dedit is getting way uneeded.

Maybe we can start over:

Any one give us a question and hope fully we will awnser them

That would be better then posting this kind of stuff now Would it?

yeah vektorboson, you are right. there has only been 2 or three cases of stolen models I have heard of. And even if someone stole your model, you could email the board admins and the admins of the ofp news pages and they will take down the addon quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------

All this talk about people wanting to learn stuff from p3dedit by opening other people's models is complete bullshit. I have p3dedit and I have opened tons of models from other modders as well as all the resistance models, and I haven't seen anything in the models that isn't common knowledge that you could find or ask for on this forum. All the big and important mods like BAS aren't successful due to some hidden model tricks, they just build accurate models and make them do amazing things with scripting. So if you think p3dedit would help you learn, just forget it and go do some of brsseb's tutorials.

And as for the problem of the objects loosing their position when they are converted, all you have to do it manually reposition it again. you could even load up the mission editor and place the odol and mlod models (as separate objects) over top of each other to make sure you have it right. For soldiers just line up the proxy triangles with the ones from the demo soldiers, it works perfectly and all the animations line up.

also i noticed that guns almost never loose their position when converted.

---edit---

I recieved a light warning from a certain forum member about the use of res soldier models, apparently the myth isn't a myth if you know what i mean. Anyways, as i don't usually like pm with the words "legal" or "be subtle" in the message, i will post a simple solution for the people who don't want their models chopped up by p3dedit 'crooks'.

1. Finish the mlod model.

2. Change the texture name of one texture, for example:

texture = data\hlava.pac

make a copy of the hlava.pac texture and rename it hlavafake.pac

on the mlod model, change the hlava.pac texture to hlavafake.pac

3. Save the model

4. binerize it

5. rename the p3d file, for example man.p3d = man1.p3d

5. load up the texture swap tool and load the renamed p3d

6. use the instuctions that come with the texture swap tool to replace the hlavafake.pac file with the hlava.pac texture.

7. save the file using the orginal p3d filename.

8. delete the fake texure and the renamed p3d file.

you can get the texture swap tool here:

http://www.kamodder.com/~minbari_capt/textureswap.zip

as for what I tried, after doing this I couldn't open it in p3dedit, i also ran it through a few things like xpack and pbo decriptors and i still couldn't open it.

Vek, soon as you are totally deaf blind and dumb to the points i am making, i will spell it out.

There are several cases of models being stolen....why has Drill Sergeant quit ofp about a week ago? (im not gonna start a flame war by saying who took them, its a forum user) Im not saying its BAD now, but give a tool for access to all models and it will be bad. Imagine what would have happened it BAS released MLOD delta/rangers..........

And i never said people can learn to model from P3dedit, thats my point, THEY WONT NEED TO, whereas with o2, its only downloaded to model, not to nick parts off different addons, p3dedit will be downloaded to rip off peoples work, no modelling skill needed.

And as i said before, steals will increase, because, at the moment, only people intent on modelling download O2, if its know there is a tool that involved no modelling, it will be downloaded mainly by CS kiddies and wannabees.

And finally, shouldnt it be the choice of the addon maker? If he wants his model to be open, he will release it unencrypted, if he wants it to be secure, he wont.....release P3dedit, and you are taking away the choice of addon makers. Which i am not welcoming. I want to be able to decide who accesses my models and who doesnt.......isnt that a right of every addon maker?

Vek, soon as you are totally deaf blind and dumb to the points i am making, i will spell it out.

Ok, then I am totally deaf and blind and probably dumb to the one point you made. I don't see other points from you.

Quote[/b] ]

There are several cases of models being stolen....

Name them, I want to hear names, I don't want to hear whether there were several cases or whether I have to look harder. I want names.

Quote[/b] ]

why has Drill Sergeant quit ofp about a week ago?

Why is he still posting, especially today, look in the Eyewear thread.

Quote[/b] ]

(im not gonna start a flame war by saying who took them, its a forum user)

All I could read in his hand gun topic were leaked hand guns pictures. And anyway, if there were models stolen this is obviously an internal thing. I want to hear steals of released addon models.

Quote[/b] ]

Im not saying its BAD now, but give a tool for access to all models and it will be bad. Imagine what would have happened it BAS released MLOD delta/rangers..........

It could happen, but it need not. You are saying that there will myriads of CS-kiddies stealing models and re-release them as their own. I have to repeat, even the recently stolen Ranger textures were credited to BAS and no released as own work. (It's bad to not ask though)

Quote[/b] ]

And i never said people can learn to model from P3dedit, thats my point, THEY WONT NEED TO, whereas with o2, its only downloaded to model, not to nick parts off different addons, p3dedit will be downloaded to rip off peoples work, no modelling skill needed.

And as i said before, steals will increase, because, at the moment, only people intent on modelling download O2, if its know there is a tool that involved no modelling, it will be downloaded mainly by CS kiddies and wannabees.

It will be downloaded mainly by CS kiddies and wannabees? I think that Mod Makers will download it mainly. And still I ask myself why it'd be so easy to throw together different model parts into one. I can't imagine that it'd be that easy, especially for your dumb CS kiddy, who can't use O2. Yes, after he downloaded p3dEdit he will be able to edit everything in OFP, and all of a sudden he posesses all the abilities needed to turn someone's addon into hisself.

Quote[/b] ]

And finally, shouldnt it be the choice of the addon maker? If he wants his model to be open, he will release it unencrypted, if he wants it to be secure, he wont.....release P3dedit, and you are taking away the choice of addon makers. Which i am not welcoming. I want to be able to decide who accesses my models and who doesnt.......isnt that a right of every addon maker?

Before Binarize was released people had no choice, and they were modding though, am I right, or am I right?

Back in those days every original addon was MLOD and everyone could take them, move a vertex and re-release this "new" model as his own. But was it really done in those masses you are suggesting? No, it wasn't, and back in those days there were much much more kiddies in the OFP community than today (I still remember that excessive spam and flaming in some comment boards; this was much worse than OFP.info in the last days, before closing comments), when most of those morons have moved to other games.

EDIT: some wrong words.