Sign in to follow this  
Gadger

Ofp unplayable

OK I posted this problem in another thread when it was just a minor problem, now its spiralled outta control:

For the first 15 minutes after a reboot OFP runs like a dream, 50+ FPS on small CTF maps, and great as always in single player. However 15-20 minutes in game the fps struggles to reach over 20. Any idea whats causing this problem?  crazy_o.gif Its like playing on a p2 500 with a Voodoo 1  rock.gif

My Specs are:

P4 2.53ghz

512MB RAM

Radeon 9700 pro (agp 4x, aa 2x, af 2x, Fast write enabled.) Tried countless driver versions and still the same problem.

Extigy external sound card.

This is with my game running on medium to high settings, but it also happens with my game on the lowest settings.

This started happening when I got a strange delay in start up, the computer boots like normal, untill I have too login as my user, when that is done it takes between 5-10 minutes for normal windows to appear, it just seems to freeze at loading my settings.

As you can imagine this is pretty darn annoying and leaves OFP & any other game pretty much unplayable. Any ideas on what the problem is, or how to fix without a complete reinstall? (I don't have the drivers, nor can find the drivers for my modem to make this an option, system restore also has no effect, and I've ran every norton utility)

If it's not a virus or bad driver, you've got probably too many memory resident softwares, click on start menu, then choose "execute" and write msconfig in the box and click ok. Then on the new windows that will appear clic on Startup tab (the one at right) and untick not needed softwares (don't worry if you remove unsure one you'll be able to retick them later), reboot and see if it's better.

wink_o.gif

Yep tried that bud no luck, im guessing its memory leaks, but without a floppy disk drive i know of no way to test my memory, does anyone know of one that lets u do it using a cd?

The most relevant factor is what OS you're using but you seem to have missed that off, if ME or 98 dump them for XP or better yet 2k smile_o.gif

I'm using XP, doh i was in a rush this moring biggrin_o.gif

Anyhow I fixed it smile_o.gif The internet sharing was causing the lag on my computer, the network consists of two comps connected via hub and ethernet cable, is there anyway to fix it so when the other computer has access to the net via my computer, I can still play games on my comp without being bogged down by video lag? rock.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I used windows ICS a while ago and we have several computers and sharing didn't lag the host/clients any.We do some serious gaming.I didn't notice hardly any difference when I finally switched to a router.

There is your answer there,regular routers are inexpensive now

I'm thinking its cause your running Winxp with which I think is a minimal of 512 ram,your other specs are ok.

I would do like cervo said which is check to see how much you have running

Also I would scan for spyware on all computers

Also sounds like you may be running a high agp aperature size?

Im running AGP @ 4X would lowering that give me any benefits?

No I was talking AGP aperature memory size,you said you have 512ram,so in your bios its prolly default to 256mb.

Lowering that may help