Sign in to follow this  
Cpt. FrostBite

Btr-t released

Okay, first, realy nice Addon, fine Modell, good looking textures.

but there's a problem:

the damage of the AT-5 ist much too low... if i shoot 2 AT-5 (100%hit) at an abrams (BIS), it will still turn around and kill me... increase the damage level!

greetings

Hase

Hey Hasi

The AT-5 is the default BIS AT-5. And I cannot change the dammage for that missile. I dunno much about dammage of the real AT-5, so I rather stick to the BIS values.

Regards, Sebastian

The AT-5 is the default BIS AT-5.

.. and the default BIS range  sad_o.gif

Farewell 4000 meters mauximum away armored targets  ghostface.gif

I fell in love with this APC smile_o.gif I miss it all the time biggrin_o.gif

Great addon smile_o.gif

One bug in my view. Don't take it as criticism, but I don't see any reason for such a big cook off of ammo with consequent pop-up of the turret. This feature could be useful in case of T-55/62/64/72/80 series of tanks containing big ammo magazine (100mm/115mm/125mm caliber ammo) below turret ring, but in this case it is useless and unreal in my view. I don't see anything what can cause such a big explosion and is stored below the turret.

Perhaps the missiles?

I'm not sure if they are stored below the turret, though.

Could comment, though. But I think the blow-up script is going to stay, anyway smile_o.gif

Yes, ShadowNX noticed this as well. However, it's a nice effect and so I didn't wanna remove it. Even if it's unlikely to happen smile_o.gif

Maybe it can be described as a EECS - Emergency Ejection Capsule System biggrin_o.gif, which can save live of poor BTR-T gunner....concerning this ejection seat....maybe would be good to make parachute on it. smile_o.gif

Well when you have hundreds of rounds of 30mm ammunition along with replacement missiles, I can DEFINITELY see the tank brewing up like that.  I've seen pictures of BMP-2's, for example, in Chechnya that had brewed up precisely in this manner with the turret seperating from the tank (although some of these may have been caused by roadside explosives or land mines).

But at any rate, the missiles in most ATGM capable IFV's are almost always stored inside the tank, so it would definitely brew up if the missiles were detonated.  In this addon, the exploding turret is random which in my opinion is realistic because not in all penetrations are the ATGM's inside (or ammo) struck.  

So overall I think the exploding turret and other FX are just fine and should stay just the way they are.  

My only problem is now deciding whether to use this amazing addon or Vit's amazing BMP/BMD 3's in my Russian missions.  smile_o.gif

I think I'll use the BTR-T's for Russian special ops/heavy assault and the BMP/BMD-3's and BTR-80's for Russian airborne troops and Naval infantry.  

The BTR-T is good for aggressive assaults where it drives right into enemy areas to deposit shock troops while the more lightly armored BMP's and BTR-80's deposit a support team so that you get both an attack from behind enemy lines as well as from outside the enemy lines in order to create chaos and divide up resistance.

However if the timing isn't just right, the BTR-T's and their Special Ops heavy assault teams get destroyed by enemy infantry reinforcements and tank killer teams.

Nevertheless, the BTR-T's now allow me to try these new aggressive tactics that make for much more intense missions.  smile_o.gif

However I do wish the BTR-T is just a weeeee little bit more heavily armored so it can withstand 2 or 3 RPG-22 hits.  But perhaps that will come when someone makes the more heavily armored BMP-T.   smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hey PSC i'v seen you image at combat photography of the newest version the BTR-T pack with new turret (cool pic). I want to know if you are going to do BTR-T with its versions with all turrets???

img7.jpg

I would like a 7.62mm machine gun to.... for the running guys.. dont want to spend 30mm ammo on infantery.

Btw is it possible to get a tracer for every 4-9 round.

(yes sometimes u reduce the amount of tracers or remove them totally....often in night fights when u got NVG)

The turret blast is about normal seeing there would be a hullfull of missiles stowed for the launcher was well as AT weapons kept to resupply the infantry units. BMPs commonly explode and even flip after an inner hull explossion usually caused by weapons stored inside and the fuel in the rear doors. The rear doors on the BMP also are the fueltanks. The thin arm usually a goot burst from a 50 cal would reduce a BMP to a flaming wreck. Seen a few hit by the M1 120 mm usuall punched through the forwards hull and blew the whole back end of the vehicle off just behind the drivers position.

Quote[/b] ]Blackhawks have to fear this little bugger soon smile_o.gif

btrt_2a38.jpg

blues.gif

AWESOME, Sebastian!

I hope the pictures were usefull, but I think they did, since this thing looks great! I hope it will also be able to target land target?

What will the firing modes be? Will you use bursts like on the DKM Tunguska (the 2A38 cannons are the same as on the Tunguska) or will you simply fire round after round manually (standard auto machinegun fire). I ask this, because the high ROF of the 2A38 cannons (4 barrels) may cause the sound to clip in normal auto fire. A burst mode has the disadvantage of using too many round when killing grunts.

For people asking for other configurations:

Will you actually use those? I mean the first version in an allrounder with good anti-personnel and anti-tank capabilities. THe second version is a meat-grinder that can reduce a chopper to space-dust in no time and I don't even want to think about what happens to the infantry.

The other versions are simply weaker versions of the above. The only one that could be considered for mission purposes only is the one with MG and AG17 grenade launcher. This could function as a dedicated anti-infantry vehicle. This could be usefull when used together with the other two versions. As a stand-alone however, it doesn't stand a chance on the battlefield.

If you think otherwize, feel free to post it here.

note to moderator: I know the common rule is not to quote a img, but since it was not posted in this thread and is directly related to the addon I thought it was ok.

At the moment I only plan to add this version as expansion:

btrt_2a38_2.jpg

I used the same configuration as the DKM Tunguska (burst). So no sound clipping. I just wanna change the gun setting so it will attack tanks as well as aircraft of all kinds.

I already changed the sound files to WSS format to prevent lagging. And I might as well increase the armour a bit so it will stand more RPG fire. So it can withstand 2 BIS LAWs.

Cool. Thanks for increasing the dammage resistance levels a little bit. I think two hits is fairly realistic since generally such vehicles are designed to resist RPG attacks except on their rear and top armor. Plus the AI soldiers in OFP reload their AT rockets so quickly that often the tank has little time to react before the second rocket hits and destroys it.

At any rate, wow! That new BTR-T with the AA cannons looks beautiful!!! I can't wait to see it in action. It'll make for a great BTR-T pack!

Keep up these amazing addons! They are fantastic and tons of fun!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

At any rate, wow!  That new BTR-T with the AA cannons looks beautiful!!!  I can't wait to see it in action.  It'll make for a great BTR-T pack!

actualy these are not meant as AAA. The guns are unguided and there is no real good gunsight for AAA use. It's more meant as a fast firing gun against ground targets and for limited use against choppers. Since the tank has no radar, it stands little chance against the AH-64D as a AAA tank. The guns are meant as a heavy support weapon for the infantry.

I hope you will limit it's use as AAA tank, sebastian. Although I'm not sure if this can be done without completely removing it's anti-air capability. Perhaps increasing the spread of the bullets is a good idea. The four cannons on such a small turret are sure to produce serious kickack or vibration.

Ah ok...yeah I think I understand now why it has those cannons. I remember in the seige of Grozny in Chechnya, they used AA tanks as part of assault teams because of it's ability to quickly snuff out snipers hiding inside buildings where counter-snipers could not see them (cuz they wouldn't come to the edge of a window to shoot but rather shot from within a room where it was hard to seem them).

Also their high gun elevation allowed them to hit targets in buildings that the BMP's and tanks could not hit because they couldn't elevate their guns high enough, so the AA guns covered their "dead zones".

Anyhoo.... yeah I'm assuming that is its primary purpose.

Whatever the case it looks good and I look forward to using it.

The snipers in Petrovice will have no chance! smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

sorry but i could not be arsed looking through whole thread.

Where can i find the grass addon in that island?

cheers biggrin_o.gif

Excellent work! Love this addon and kudos to everone involved...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Concerning cook off of ammo and consequent turret pop up...

It is highly unlikely to happen to real BTR-T. 30 mm ammo althought in high amount will not do that. Cook off is connected with blow of main ammo propelant charges (large caliber ammo). 30 mm ammo in vehicle fire would be like popcorn baking, but not big blow. Concerning AT rockets (3-5 pieces) ...their propelant is slowly burning (no blow), so most probably those charges would burn intensively but slowly. On top of that I doubt that those rockets are stored below the turret or even inside the vehicle.

Back to the topic. It is up to addon maker what SFX will be used and I respect his decision, although I don't see reason for that. Nice addon smile_o.gif.

The propellant in a ATGM may be slow burning, but is that the same for the warheads in most ATGM's?   I know that if it is anything related to C4, that any sudden explosive charge will set off the C4.  I don't know the exact mathamatics behind it, but I did some combat engineering when I was in the Army and I know that you can take a match to C4 and will burn nice and slow.  However if you place a blasting cap into it (which basically is like a firecracker), the C-4 will detonate.  

But I guess its hard to know for sure without knowing exactly what type of explosive material they use for the warheads in the Kornet ATGM's.  Also of coarse the heat from a HEAT round or hot shrapnel bouncing penetrating the warhead case may or may not provide a sufficient enough reaction to cause a detonation of the warheads...or maybe they might.

Anyhoo...  you may be right.  

Whatever the case, I still like the exploding turret on the BTR-T and it doesn't hurt anything is fun to watch. It's also an impressive achievement in OFP.  But even more then that, I love all the sparks that fly off after a hit by an RPG.   It really looks spectacular during a really fierce fight at night with stuff exploding and brewing up everywhere.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Ok, here is a list of improvements and bug fixes for the update:

<ul>[*] Sounds converted from OGG format to WSS format (to increase performance on some machines)

[*] Armour increased from 600 to 700 so the vehicle can withstand 2 default BIS LAWs

[*] Reload time for missiles changed from 0 to 0.1 seconds

[*] Muzzle flash will not get darker anymore if the vehicle is hit

[*] Added addon dependency (Required Addon BMP 2)

[*] Added seperate Cannons for HE and AP ammo. This enables the AI to choose the adequate ammo for different targets

[*] Reduced ammo count from 250 to 200 for each ammo type. The real vehicle has even less ammo

[*] Added fuel and dammage bars, as well as Speed and Height display

[*] Removed the turret explosion script from the alternative variants of the BTR-T (the variants without markings). This also affects the feature to set a custom marking texture (now selection 8 instead of 14)

Except for the smoke screen feature (I still have to contact DKM for that) everything iportand should be in. Tell me if you find something I forgot.

One thing;

You could remove the vision blocks for the driver when he's turned out. Right now when you look down, you can see the ground and the guys feet through the vision blocks. The BIS T-55 has a non-transparant texture for the vision block when the driver is turned out.

Minor thing, but could be nice.

I love the way you handled the AI ammo problem. Good idea to make two cannons in one. This way the AI can handle is better I guess. Does the AI realy change to HE when targeting infantry and to AP when targeting tanks? If so, that will be great.

Don't worry about the ammo-count. OFP isen't the real world. The OFP AI fires much more rounds than a RL gunner, so in-game you need to give the vehicle more ammo to make things work out. And if we do run out of ammo, we simply drive to the ammo truck to rearm. All we need now is a better looking ammo-truck *hint-hint*.

[*] Added fuel and dammage bars, as well as Speed and Height display

Are these really suited to an armoured vehicle? I don't think I've come across a ground vehicle with these bars in OFP before, as they seem to be used only for choppers/aircraft which IMO is better than having them used on all vehicles.

Just a thought anyway. smile_o.gif