Sign in to follow this  
INVISO

Ontos m50a1

UPDATED IMAGE

A few days ago, I step on that strange armor while browsing on the web and find it very interesting.

The turret rigging is quite complex, so i'm trying to figure out how to do something nice and realistic out of it.

There are some pictures to work with, but no blueprint with exact dimension. So any advices or nice blueprints can be send to my email.

You can see want I did so far...

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/Ontos01b.jpg

Well it sure looks nice, not that im a fan of any modelling tool other than O2

Thanks Mountain for your hints... I'll see want I can do with that.

You might be able to represent all six recoilless rifles by making a main gun magazine of six rounds, with a really long reload time in between shots.

Might wanna look into Col Klinks missile proxy for the multipul recoiless guns. Was something I was thinking about a year ago, but other armor systems becme more of intersts like Mutt and mech mules with recoiless guns mounted on the back seemed more feasable for my modeling skills to acomplish. Go for it still it be cool having mobile arty, might even intergrate it into the COC due to they were direct and indirect fire vehicles.

I prefer to make it as real as it suppose to be... the loader must go outside to stuff the RCR. A real tactical problem and a real scripting problem too.

But the Ontos still have a lot of MG to play his "hit and run" tactic. Some versions with put MG (.30cal or .50.) on the RCR hardpoint with a free swivel MG.

Well, I see what I can figure out with "The Thing" (Ontos).

Thank for your support!

This looks like it would be fun, especially if there was some way of simulating the beehive round.

Quote[/b] ]The Ontos carried the beehive round that sent out a hundred darts per firing to clean out a jungle of its enemy. There was no other weapon that could clear a jungle for a depth of a Ľ mile like the 106mm recoilless rifle using the beehive round.

Great idea, good luck!

After some positive comments about that model, I decide to go forward with the projet.

Since I have some spare time to spend on that projet, I'll need some infos. I'm good at modeling but I don't have any experience with the O2 engine. I need to know how to convert MAX mesh to the OFP format. All my texture are power 2... but I need to know the limitations of the O2 engine to ensure that my MAX model is good. Any good tutorials about that?

Anyway, you can see the new render I made... now with real specs, dimension, etc.

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/Ontos01b.jpg

Thanks for your support!

Very interesting project.

I love this thing (ontos, you get it wink_o.gif )

I hope you can make it work with scripts.

I also hope you'll script the bee-hive round commenly used by the ontos against infantry targets in nam. I suggest to take a look at the shotgun recently posted on ofp.info with the scripted buckshot round.

Will this baby be able to fire all the cannons at ones? That would make it a very powerfull tankkiller.

The model looks good.

Work Update...

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/Ontos01c.jpg

The Ontos is able to fire all 6 RCL at once. I'll see about the beehive shell and other type of ammunition.

Now that the outer hull is almost done... i'll go to the turret and the gunner hatch. I don't know about the swivel MG... so many MG's out there. Anyway...

More later.

YES! When i saw pics of the Ontos for the first time (not that long ago) I hoped somebody with addonmaking skills would be equally intrigued by this cool contraption and start building one for OFP.

Good Luck with it.

I prefer to make it as real as it suppose to be... the loader must go outside to stuff the RCR. A real tactical problem and a real scripting problem too.

You can always look at how "Nashe Orujie" did the missile reloading on their Mi-2 with AT-3 Sagger missiles. On that one you have to spend all the original missiles, then land and re-fit the pylons manually.

You can get it here.

The Ontos is looking really sharp, keep up the good work!

The O2 import is doing fine... only a few bugs. But it look sharp. I'm good with MAX but not with O2... so be indulgent. Anyway. Thank's to all.

O2 pictures will follow later. See ya!

UPDATE...

Ok, i'm getting use to O2. But now, for some test, how can I make my model move? How can I make the tracks roll (Geometry or textures?)... well, thoses kind of questions.. hehe.

OMG I didn't know anything about this until now.

Quite the little thumper.

Looking forward to using this with SEB Nam Pack!

You could use the M40A1 recoilless gun I made and attach it to your Ontos. That would save some work for you smile_o.gif

M40A1

Here is the first O2 picture...

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/ontos01d.jpg

The interior now contain the driver and gunner seat, ammo casing, batteries. More to come.

Now i need to put that thing on the move for testing. I still need to figure out LOD, PROXIES and CPP file. Any help?

nice work so far! Always loved using the Ontos in Steel Panthers 2 & Steel Panthers MBT 'Nam campaigns. Small target that can deliver a BIG punch. smile_o.gif

I find some help about the config.cpp with the "Swordfish config file writer"

http://ofps.cncguild.net/configw/

After compressing my folder with PboTool v1.01a, my model appear on the WEST/ARMORED. But when I field it... boom! OFP quit. Why?

I really need some help now... Well, i'll post the P3D,CPP and PAC in hope that some can help me finish this baby.

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/m50a1ontos.zip

Thanks to all!

I took a look at the files and tried to fix some stuff. Maybe it helps you to see how addons are deon. I had to delete a part of the track that caused the model to crash. Also I fixed the texture prefix for one texture. The other textures you have to fix yourself.

http://dm.hfk-bremen.de/se.mueller/_oeffentlich_/m50a1ontos.zip

I hope this helps you smile_o.gif

Ok PSC. I put that thing on a road test and it's fine. You did a wonderful job and I learned many things.

Now the bad part;

-Almost all my textures are gone

-The removed part of the track (Side deflector) is a very important part of the design.

-The driver's hatch rotation's on the wrong direction (Up not down)

-The DRIVER GETIN is not in front... but the back (Same for all)

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/ontos01e.jpg

There are others bugs but this addons is still in beta stage. There are some parts of the models yet to come...

-Driver's periscope

-Gunner's hatch

-Spotting rifles

-Gunner's .50 MG

-Minors fixes

I want to be sure to deliver top notch and realistic ADDONS for all the people out there.

Then again, thanks for your help! PSC, Hope you'll stick around and help me finish that "thing"

The textures ain't lost, you just need to correct the texture prefix in Oxygene (it was ontosM50a1 but should be m50a1ontos).

The part of the track I deleted caused the model to crash. You just need to somehow redo this without the non-planar faces error.

The drivers hatch rotation direction can be set in the config. Search the comented configs for something like:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>SQL </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class HatchDriver

{

<span style='color:#333333'><span style="color:blue;font-weight:bold">SELECT</span>ion</span> <span style='color:orange'>=</span> <span style='color:red'>"poklop_driver"</span>;

<span style='color:#333333'>axis</span> <span style='color:orange'>=</span> <span style='color:red'>"osa_poklop_driver"</span>;

<span style='color:#333333'>angle</span> <span style='color:orange'>=</span> -100;

};

To change the position for the driver to get in simply move the point posDriver inside the memory LOD where you want it to be.

I recommend you grab the demo and look at how the BMP is done for instance smile_o.gif

Ok, I reverse eng. your file, and gone through some tut about O2. Well, I doing fine for now. I corrected the textures problems and normals facing too.

Goddamit, O2 ain't 3DSMAX! hehe but well, I'm having some fun learning all that stuff.

PSC you've been very useful. The futures addons that will be coming out of my shop will be gettin' better and better. Like I said, I'm learning from scratches. I've been workin' with others game engines before but this one is... quite different.

Well, I hope to put on the field a running Ontos later tonight. At test drive version must I say. hehe

Thanks again PSC.

Well, finally, I fielded my Ontos. He's almost fully fonctional. But the biggest problem will be the firing control.

http://www.prelogik.com/fr/medias/m50a1ontos2a.jpg

Still a lot a things to do...

-Fire control. 1 to 6 shots at the same time. This is after all the "biggest shotgun"

-Correct driver and gunner position in 1st and 3rd view.

-Gunner's hatch up/down

-Gunner's reticle (I already made the replacement PAA)

-Open/close back doors

-Minors fixes

I'm not sure if I can put the PBO on public release for now. But it's sure fun to drive around with that thing. Well, tell me what do you think.

Looks good! I'm very interested in what you will accomplish with this. Have you tried contacting anyone from the Nam Pack team? Last I heard, they were quietly putting together a new armor and air pack. This would be a good addition, IMHO.