Sign in to follow this  
quicksand

Just noticed this..

Yes... good post. I think Suma mentioned in an interview some months ago that terrain streaming would be in OFP2, and you wouldn't even know it if you passed from one map "zone" to another.

It'll be interesting to see how they integrate it into a world where you can walk, fly and drive. Soldner, for example, renders two worlds at once - one for people on/near the ground and one for those who spend their time flying high above. Naturally the world for those on the ground is much more detailed, but you can still (I think) shoot down aircraft in the air world. This seems like a kind of crude solution to me, and I can't wait to find out how BIS goes about it.

I think I have it in my mind that OFP2 will be a lot like LOMAC in size (of world) and scope (individual buildings in cities, airport vehicles, etc.), except that the ground will have much more detail (grass, fully modelled trees, etc.) and you can get out of your plane and walk around. Or drive your car off base to your little villa by the sea. I see the detail in LOMAC - how an entire huge region is rendered in such great detail - and I'm impressed. I think BIS will blow that away.

Interesting speculation...

<snip>

News of Flashpoint XBox

-Flashpoint XBOX uses 1.5 of the Flashpoint engine. This could be looked at as a testbed for technology that would end up in OFP 2.

<snip>

I'll pick up on this point, but straying into a different direction.

If they have a working 1.5 engine, why should they limit the revenue of it to the limited market of the XBox version? Wouldn't it make much more sense to publish it also for PC, where there is already a (maybe small but) quite active and dedicated community.

A compatible PC version would also be a good selling argument, giving the XBox users access to the PC community, so they do not have to rely on the XBox success for a decent online experience.

A bit more speculative is the Addons issue.

Picking up the last point from above - having a common base with respect to the engine is of little use if all the PC-servers are running with countless different Addons installed. So it might be of interest, to create a common base Addon-wise as well...

Another theory (just a theory!)

Maybe BIS is just preparing to move from Codemasters and that flashpoint2004 is the desired new url. I remember some rumours lately about an OFP2 cancellation where Marek didn't want to comment on, remember? Would be great if they'd publish it on their own. I'd bet they have enough money and resources now to do it their way.

If that's so - good luck BIS & CO

Because releasing 1.5 for PC would like releasing half of OFP2. I have not known BIS to do anything by half measures.

The community is due for a new game, I think BIS recognise this and will deliver.

Ah, forgot to mention: If you make it on your own I'll buy that game twice. I swear!

I do not claim to know much about the gaming industry but this much I can guess.

Codemasters would of received the majority of profit from the games. BIS is a group of developers, they do not have staff or the resources to publish, package, distribute and advertise their game. Like many other developers they rely on companies like Codemasters to do that work for them, allowing them to concentrate on what they love to do and what they are best at, making games.

We may dislike Codemasters, I do not approve of how little they did to actually promote the games considering how much money they made, but I am grateful that they got the game to the stores for us to buy, and I am sure BIS is too.

Quote[/b] ]Because releasing 1.5 for PC would like releasing half of OFP2. I have not known BIS to do anything by half measures.

The community is due for a new game, I think BIS recognise this and will deliver.

I think your wrong on this part..BIS is very devoted to it`s fans,right?And we know that they are preparing an XBOX version of Flashpoint where the XBOX community will have JIP avaiable..So,why should the PC gaming community wait for 2005 to finally get OF2 when we could get a nice spec op expansion pack with updated graphics and FINALLY the most requested option for Flashpoint,JIP.I think this would be a very nice surprise for the community while we wait for OF2.

BTW people would be surprised to know how many people actually like Flashpoint.I was in an RPG off-topic forum and there was a hot discusssion about OF wink_o.gif

My bet it that we gonna get all the answers we want at E3

If you want 1.5 ported to PC or for it to be developed for both PC and XBOX platforms simultaneously then OFP 2 would arrive 2006 or later.

My bet it that we gonna get all the answers we want at E3

Press releases should be at least one month ahead of E3, to make it into the E3 editions of the gaming magazines tounge_o.gif

When starts E3?

Heres my theory:

BIS is creating a new game called Flashpoint 2004, which has 3 campaigns running in south africa, vietnam and in central europe. The campaigns are all entirely or partly fictional and will be using the Flashpoint 2.0 or 1.5 engine. I think that BIS decided to trash the 70's for the modern area, but they will still be able to use the same terrain levels, so i think the scenarious will be the same places or similar to the ones first intended.

I think that BIS will eventually move the Flashpoint2 site to flashpoint2004, and update it with all the latest information and story.

The only thing thats still teasing me, is weather or not this will be Flashpoint 2 or the roumered Flashpoint 1.5? The fact that they call it "2004" gives us a slight tip that this will be either 1.5, or flashpoint2 will be out prior to the now stated release date.

My 2 cents

//Edit

E3 2004:

LosAngelesConventionCenter.gif

How can you be so sure??How do you know that BIS/BIA wasn`t working in paralel on the PC version..Indepndence Lost was already in production and it had some nice features like the abillity to move on carriers,and better graphics..That was in 2002..

BTW in the Pc Gamer UK there is an article that states a new Flashpoint release is coming in 2004 for the PC..They already had an article about OF2 and they knew it`s gonna be out in 2005...

Add that up with the finding of www.flashpoint2004.com.. I think there is a big chance we are gonna have something to play it before OF2...

Hey Ralphie. smile_o.gif

Remenber to go. For the sake of the Flashpointius community tounge_o.gif If i was living in LA and over 18 i would go every year. smile_o.gif

What's JIP?

I agree with quicksand that something will be released before OFP2.

"What JIP?"

Join in progress.

Multiplayer games u can join a game which has allready started smile_o.gif

Hey Ralphie.  smile_o.gif

Remenber to go. For the sake of the Flashpointius community  tounge_o.gif  If i was living in LA and over 18 i would go every year.  smile_o.gif

Is Ralph a journalist or does he know anyone who is a journalist? If not it will be hard, or next to impossible to get himself into E3. Since it is for "industry people" only.

I have looked at the XBox screens again and the textures are bit better than our original OFP (but this can be also because my PC is old and graphics doesn't look that good! mad_o.gif )

Anyway, you have to think about that OFP on PC and OFP on XBox have to share a lot of code, and you have to think that in this case a lot of errors from PC OFP are also on the XBox OFP, right?

You must also regard, that PC OFP, VBS1 and XBox OFP have to share a lot of code, and therefore BIS should be able to easily port code between the different versions. Why should they fix bugs only in one of the versions, when the same bugs are in the others?

The same would go for features. They managed to make JIP and terrain streaming on XBox, how hard would it be to port this to PC OFP?

Think about it, and I think that OFP 1.5 is indeed possible...

This looks like OFP 2 to me.  Without a doubt in my mind.

I updated my site finally too.

OFP2 Info Center

Just what we NEED! WOO HOO! Screenshots!!!

well if ya had read what bis had said in an interview they did a while back you would know that the engine being used in ofp for the xbox is somewhere between ofp pc engine and ofp2 engine, hence the reason why some of the graphics in the xbox version look nice and smoother than it pc counter part, they also said that the xbox version would have jip.

@FireFox_uk

Yes, exactly. And that's why they call it Flashpoint 1.5. Between 1 and 2 is 1.5. As simple as that.

The next time someone finds a secret BIS site. they should just copy pictures, videos, everything before they post here and alert BIS! mad_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif