Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Doghunters from norway

Major news in dailys in Norway and Sweden.

no pictures of real killing, link removed -Shadow

Soldiers from Norway on peacekeeping mission killing dogs. While I can fully understand shooting stray dogs and the likes, these guys are shooting what appears to be domestic animals and they are not really proffesional in their attitude. Going to be interesting to see the publics reaction, now that more local peacekeepers get a tarnished reputation.

I think you´re breaking the forum rules when posting links to that video.

Maybe, I guess thats up to the mods. Considering its linked from Swedens and Norways largest daily websites, thus good enough for the entire population of two nations, I dont see the harm. Like I said, mods call.

I just had to put down my dog last month because I couldn't afford a $2000+ opperation.

That video made me very sad.

Me to, as a current dog owner and past dog owner. Thats why it will be interesting to see how people will react to it. Will it be dismissed or will it get heaps of attention (after the initial reaction).

In Sweden there will probably be parallels drawn to the seal clubbings taking place in Norway some years ago.

I think it's safe to say I'm absolutely disgusted about this. I was close to send an Email to the norwegian military's information centre where I was about to say I wanted the same treatment for the soldiers as they gave to the dogs.

The problem is not the stray dogs - that's understandable. They are rabies infected and must be dealt with. And they are in most cases dealt with proffesionlaly. However, in this vidoe the it's clearly not. It shows a cowboy mentality where killing dogs with unsuitable weapons are nothing but joy and entertainment. The sick bastards have even made a video of it - distributing it as a sort of souvernir from their time with KOFOR.

The video in all it's gruesome details clearly shows how unsuitable automatic sidearms are for killing small animals - which is why only soldiers which has passed the "hunt examinations" (in Norway this test is pretty difficult) can do this kind of work - and that with a shotgun!

Myself I like to go foxhunting with my terrier and a shotgun. This is a quick and "humane" way of killing your prey. True, it gives a fantastic satisfaction - but every now and then you fail to deliver the fatal wound. That is believe me a horrible feeling. To even suggest that someone would make that entertaining sickens me. To kill a domestic dog - leashed and all makes this video even worse. What the hell are they thinking?

And last but not least, to se the fucking incompetent officer walk towards that poor wounded animal - firing seven times before he manages to kill the dog is so fucking outrageous. When you go foxhunting you always carry a 22 - which is meant for delivering ONE shot in the skull of the fox if you have to dig into his den on the occasions where the terrier can't bolt him propperly.

I'm so disgusted.

If someone harms my dog by themselves or because they can't control their own much (usually) larger dog I would beat that person up really bad. I love my dog. He is my best friend and a hunting companion as well. I would realy go to great lengths to protect him from stupid dog hating people mad_o.gif

I know here in the states, if you own a dog and live in the backwoods, you live by the old saying "You can shoot me, you can shoot my wife, but God help you if you shoot my dog." I've been a dog owner since I could walk, lots of hunting dogs, a house dog, etc.

It bothers me more to watch that vid than some of the more shocking videos that have been posted. War footage is one thing, or killing rabid wild dogs, but killing defenseless animals is another.Those guys really deserve a serious asskicking, if not being shot themselves.

Not in referance to this article / video but calling Aftonbladet/Expressen and VG good sources is not good. They are tabloids who just seek sensetions and selling numbers.

That said, these incidents is very sad indeed. sad_o.gif

Not in referance to this article / video but calling Aftonbladet/Expressen and VG good sources is not good. They are tabloids who just seek sensetions and selling numbers.

That said, these incidents is very sad indeed.  sad_o.gif

All the major norwegian newspapers cover this story - including Aftenposten - which is by far the most respected newspaper in Norway

Yes, they are tabloids. But they still cater to the public and I have a very hard time believing they would put up material deemed to offensive for the public eye. And at any rate, their credibility is not an issue here as the video and comments from various officials speak their own language.

The board rules are very clear on this matter. mad_o.gif

That video clearly violates board-rules.

When that's said, I'd like to do the same to those stupid, brainless Norwegian "soldiers".

Okay, a stray dog in Kosovo has a high probability of having rabies and are usually dealt with (in a professional manner), but a dog on a leash in a garden is not what I would call a stray dog. That is murder.

No, not one to the head for those "soldiers". That would be too humane. Start with the legs and work upwards.

Couldn't agree more with you Shadow, truely a dispicable way to act mad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Hopefully their faces with full names will be shown on the news tonight. They deserve it.

Longinius, I wasn't refering to this video/incident as I stated, just as a general comment on these "newspapers". They show anything they think will make cash, nothing else. They don't have public interest befor their eyes, they just use that argument to hide behind. They are news manufacturers, not news reporters.

I've read the offical comments and other sources so I know its not another one of their exagerations. I just wanted to comment to the line "Considering its linked from Swedens and Norways largest daily websites" as these sites (the Sweidsh one at least) really are big because of other reasons then the acctually news service.

Shadows "solution" to these "soldiers" is a fitting one.

We used to shoot stray dogs in bosnia, especially when our camps were pretty large.

A sergeant or higher would go on a killing spree. He borrowed a few FR-F1/2 and sometimes just FAMAS's and went in the area were the bases's rubbish and wastes were left and shot a few dogs. These animals were the only thingq we could hunt without risking to step on a landmine or to be targetted by a sniper or even be court-martialled so ...

But i still don't know how they could get and fire ammo without much checks from the gunsmith and higher authorities (the regiment's/base's gunsmith sometimes participated).

These stray dogs weren't much of a threat but heck ....

When I was in Kuwait, I adopted a German Shepherd that had wandered into our lines. Naturally, he went everywhere with me for a week, and I'd give him food and water and whatnot. At the end of that first week, he bit a corporal that was teasing him (I was watching this unfold, the corporal was yanking on the dog's tail and smacking him over the head with a water bottle). I broke it up and took my dog away.

The next day, an Air Force guy in a pickup truck showed up, took my dog, stuffed it into a metal box on the back of his pickup truck (with the corporal's assistance, on a 120 degree day), ran a hose from the truck's exhaust into the box and killed my dog right in front of me. Then, they dumped the body into a nearby dumpster, again right in front of me. I begged and pleaded with my squad leader and platoon sergeant, but they said there wasn't anything they could do, since he bit the corporal.

When I got off duty that night, I punched the corporal in the face - the first and only person I've ever attacked. I lost my own corporal rank because of it, but it did make me feel better.

Like Ebud said,

Quote[/b] ]"You can shoot me, you can shoot my wife, but God help you if you shoot my dog."
Indeed.

Luckily, the night before my dog's murder, I was able to take a few pictures of me and him together, and I still have his picture up on my wall.

Sorry to hear that, Hellfish. sad_o.gif

What those Norwegian soldiers did was disgusting. mad_o.gif

They should be court-martialed.

oh the shame of being norwegian right now! I really don't know why norway got an army. Half of the norwegian soldiers are killed in accidents during training (at least that's the impression I get), and it seems now that the only thing they can hit is poor dogs. I don't know how they can do that for "fun"...I just wish someone could do something reeeeeeeeaaaaally horrible with them...To be honest, if I had to choose between to shoot a norwegian soldier or a healty dog, I would shoot the soldier... tounge_o.gif

And Hellfish6, I really understand why you hit that guy. If that happend to me, I wouldn't care about my rank...

Garcia

Hellfish touchy story. Sorry for you.

Also shot some dogs on order. Better than poisoning.

We had to shoot them because they are sources of illnesses when they stick their noses into everything they can find. We had some bite incidents and therefore we shot them frequently. I like dogs, have had 2 when I was with my parents, grew up with them, but sometimes they are a threat to health. Especially in hot countries with no public sewage and such.

So on one hand I understand why some dogs have to be shot while I understand the opposite side of dog as the best friend also.

Depends on where I am. biggrin_o.gif

I think in retrospect it can be beneficial to destroy dogs - specifically there are some that eat dead bodies (in warzones, famine areas, etc), carry rabies or other diseases. Sometimes they really are pests and need to be destroyed. I don't like the idea of it, and I'd never do it myself but sometimes it can be beneficial. I just don't think that my dog was one of those cases. He bit because he was provoked, not because he was feral.

Stray dogs is a huge problem in the Kosovo area, sure what they did is wrong.. first of all you never bloddy damn record it for obvious reasons, two, seeing as it WAS a video, we shouldnt be so quick to judge from what is legal and real hunt and just stray fun shooting. Shotguns are (supposedly) mainly used in the hunting.. not G3 (ag3 in norway i belive)

If you have buried bodies around you have to dig them in really deep. Hungry dogs go for them. No fun when you see a dog carrying an arm around.

We had plenty of that "looting" in africa. Well in Congo the persons killed in firefights just lay on the roads. Noone took them away so dogs had a big time crazy_o.gif

Enough of that now. As you see the medal has two sides. I have not seen the video but if they mistreated the dogs for fun-reasons they are weird and should be punished accordingly.

The best punishment would be court-martial, demotion, criminal record... just a way to make them feel uncomfortable in civil life where they obviously were living quite large or just the opposite. Too bad the best that can do is get them just unemployed and keep them that way... They'll feel discomfort, regret, perhaps to the point they will take care of themselves. If not, prolly make a change for the better. Nah, they have gone too far.

The stray dog issue derives from the lack of respect of own fallen, altho in most cases there just might not be time... except in modern warfare it seems, when own casualties are expected to be few, it's all tidy. Kosova wasn't, the enemy was formidable. Man caused this dog issue on himself, it's the smallest inconvenience and the solution seems to be idiotic. I mean... there's more animals in the world than humans. Aww nuts crazy_o.gif

When I was in Kuwait, I adopted a German Shepherd that had wandered into our lines. Naturally, he went everywhere with me for a week, and I'd give him food and water and whatnot. At the end of that first week, he bit a corporal that was teasing him (I was watching this unfold, the corporal was yanking on the dog's tail and smacking him over the head with a water bottle). I broke it up and took my dog away.

The next day, an Air Force guy in a pickup truck showed up, took my dog, stuffed it into a metal box on the back of his pickup truck (with the corporal's assistance, on a 120 degree day), ran a hose from the truck's exhaust into the box and killed my dog right in front of me. Then, they dumped the body into a nearby dumpster, again right in front of me. I begged and pleaded with my squad leader and platoon sergeant, but they said there wasn't anything they could do, since he bit the corporal.

When I got off duty that night, I punched the corporal in the face - the first and only person I've ever attacked. I lost my own corporal rank because of it, but it did make me feel better.

Oh... I really hate people that taunt animals with their lesser intelligence... It's weird that the animal with the most complex one is also the dumbest one in a sense. Children taunting animals and bugging them is understandable, they are kids. But if you tell them to stop they stop, the least you could expect from a person that is qualified to carry a weapon is that the person in question actually behaves more mature than kids do...

That said, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog... Dogs have been around me ever since I was newborne, and when a dog dies it's like losing a family member or your best friend. The best thing is that they never leave you, unlike people they stick by you no matter what.