Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

Us presidential election 2004

Quote[/b] ]And MD went Kerry :|

What a surprise! wow_o.gif

One thing that Icefire can break out the bubbly for is this:

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON - Republicans renewed their grip on the Senate Tuesday night and reached out for more, capturing Democratic seats across the south. Democratic leader Tom Daschle faced a strong challenge in South Dakota.

Republican victories for Democratic-held seats in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia assured the GOP of at least 50 seats in the Senate that convenes on Jan. 3.

Under complicated rules in effect, that assured Republicans of control regardless of the outcome of the presidential election.

A victory by President Bush (news - web sites) would give Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) the ability to break ties. A victory by Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) would force him to resign his seat in Congress, and give the GOP a 50-49 advantage until his successor was elected in late spring or summer.

Democratic State Sen. Barack Obama, a political star in the making, easily captured a seat formerly in Republican hands in Illinois, and will be the only black among 100 senators when the new Congress convenes in January. "I am fired up," he told cheering supporters in Illinois.

Elsewhere, Republicans were more likely to be celebrating.

Rep. Johnny Isakson (news, bio, voting record) claimed Georgia for the Republicans, and Rep. Jim DeMint (news, bio, voting record) took South Carolina. Rep. Richard Burr (news, bio, voting record) soon followed suit in North Carolina. In each case, Democratic retirements induced abmitious young members of Congress to give up safe House seats to risk a run for the Senate.

Ticket-splitting had been the key to the Democrats' slim chances all along. Of the nine most competitive races on the ballot, all of them in the South and West, Kerry made virtually no effort to contest Bush and many Democratic challengers ran as conservatives.

But in Oklahoma, a state where Democrats long touted their chances, former Rep. Tom Coburn captured the votes of three-fourths of the president's supporters. That was enough to trounce Rep. Brad Carson (news, bio, voting record) and keep the seat in GOP hands.

Republicans hold 51 seats in the current Senate. Democrats have 48, along with the support of independent Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont. A combination of factors — the Constitution, the calendar and the presidential race among them — meant that Republicans need 50 seats to hold control, and Democrats must gain 51 to take it away.

Most veteran lawmakers of both parties coasted to new terms after campaigns against little-known and poorly funded opponents.

But there were exceptions.

Daschle and former Rep. John Thune were in an impossibly close race with votes counted in one-third of their sparsely populated state — separated by fewer than 1,000 votes. Theirs was a campaign on which the two men spent $26 million — an estimated $50 for easch registered voter.

After a particularly caustic campaign, incumbent Republican Sen. Jim Bunning (news, bio, voting record), 73, fell behind Democrat Dan Mongiardo early in the evening in Kentucky before moving ahead. With votes counted in all but three of the state's 3,482 precincts, he led 50.5 to 49.5 — a margin of fewer than 20,000 votes out of 1.7 milliion cast.

Obama, 43, had no difficulty dispatching Alan Keyes (news - web sites), a black conservative whose outspoken views against abortion and homosexuality earned the disdain from some members of his own party.

Even so, the Democratic state legislator's victory in a race to replace Republican Sen. Peter Fitzgerald (news, bio, voting record) capped a remarkable rise. He first gained national prominence this summer when his party's presidential candidate, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, tapped him to deliver the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention.

Isakson, who replaced former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in Congress in 1999, coasted to victory in Georgia. He triumphed over Rep. Denise Majette (news, bio, voting record) in a campaign to replace Sen. Zell Miller (news, bio, voting record) — a Democrat who crossed party lines to deliver a memorably anti-Kerry speech at the Republican National Convention.

Rep. Richard Burr triumphed over Erskine Bowles in North Carolina, who was making his second try for the Senate in two years after a turn as President Clinton (news - web sites)'s chief of staff. Burr made much of his rival's resume — in a state that Bush carried handily even though democratic running mate John Edwards (news - web sites) has held the seat for six years.

In next-door South Carolina, DeMint held off a challenge from Inex Tenenbaum, the state Education Superintendent. She stumbled early, then found her campaign legs with an attack on DeMint's support for a national sales tax. He battled back, though, and won handily in a state that Bush was carrying, as well.

That left two southern states where Democrats retired.

Florida, with votes tallied in more than 90 percent of the precincts, former HUD Secretary Mel Martinez, who is Cuban-born, was in a tight race with Betty Castor, a former state senator.

In Louisiana, Republican Rep. David Vitter (news, bio, voting record) led several Democratic rivals comfortably with more than 90 percent of the precincts counted, and flirted with an outright majority that would allow him to avoid a Dec. 4 runoff.

With few exceptions, incumbents won new terms with ease over little-known and under-funded challengers.

Republicans who won new terms included Sens. Richard Shelby of Alabama, Kit Bond of Missouri, Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, George Voinovich of Ohio, Sam Brownback of Kansas, Robert Bennett of Utah, Charles Grassley of Iowa, Mike Crapo of Idaho and John McCain of Arizona.

McCain's victory meant he was in line to chair the Senate Armed Services Committee (news - web sites) if Republicans held the Senate.

Among Democratic incumbents, Sens. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, Barbara Mikulski of Maryland, Evan Bayh of Indiana, Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas, Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, Russell Feingold of Wisconsin, Charles Schumer of New York, Harry Reid of Nevada and Patty Murray of Washington state won new terms.

In all, there were 34 seats on the ballot, 19 held by Democrats and 15 by Republicans.

Multimillion dollar campaigns were commonplace in the most contested races, and the Daschle-Thune race set the pace.

Through mid-October, Daschle had spent about $16 million in his quest for a fourth term in a sparsely settled state. Thune's expenditures reached $10 million.

When it came to personal attacks, the Kentucky race was hard to match. Democrats ran television commercials questioning Bunning's mental fitness for office. His allies, in turn, openly speculated about Mongiardo's sexual orientation.

I voted in MD for Bush and already MD is already a very biased state, all mostly democrats and liberals.... In my college even the profs. try to get you to inherit their political ideals and views, hello? I'm paying for an education that will make me sucessful in life... I'm not paying for a bunch of biased rethoric that profs. teach becasue the college is biased. oh and they also Bush Bash frequently becasue it is politcly correct to bash Bush when really you should be bashing the heads of the terrorists in.... wink_o.gif

Bush still controls Florida, 52% to 47%, with 97% of precincts reporting in.

Bush also controls Ohio 52% to 48% (With 63% of precincts reporting in).

Quote[/b] ]oh and they also Bush Bash frequently becasue it is politcly correct to bash Bush when really you should be bashing the heads of the terrorists in....

You can do both wink_o.gif

Baz.... ever think why they are professors in the first place?

To replace the rhetoric your parents left you, and instil a new spirit that you can go around claiming you got yourself just to pick up chicks.

Go Kerry!!! WOOT tounge_o.gif

CBS has

Florida for Bush

246 Bush

199 Kerry

sad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Baz.... ever think why they are professors in the first place?

To replace the rhetoric your parents left you, and instil a new spirit that you can go around claiming you got yourself just to pick up chicks.

Go Kerry!!! WOOT tounge_o.gif

Since when is my facking calculus prof even have the right to instill his political views in my head? He's there to teach calculus.....You don't go to an english prof when you want to learn about chemistry. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gifsad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

It's kinda weird how the whole western world seemingly pays close attention to the US presidential elections.

Edit: I know why, its just weird to me.

Quote[/b] ]Since when is my facking calculus prof even have the right to instill his political views in my head?

He's trying to educate you, it's nothing to be affraid of really...

It's kinda weird how the whole western world seemingly pays close attention to the US presidential elections.

It's telling in the times we are in and the world view of America. We started a war, and the world is effected.

EDIT: I agree. But really I think its really sad how the world is effected by our elections.

Quote[/b] ]He's trying to educate you, it's nothing to be affraid of really...

Ah yes, it's all part of the curriculum: AB Calculus, BC Calculus, and DNC Calculus.

Waking up to prepare to go to work is not exactly what i am looking for to start my day in a good mood.

But, seeing the current result of the news, i think watching the situation becoming worse in the world due to politic and economic choices from a group of people elected in a foreign country 4 more years is going to be a reality.

Really a bad day.

Of course, the result is not final, but oh well, that is not really a surprise to see things going that way ...

Us non-us citizen should care of your election?

But the fact your ex and probably future group in power is making the world a worse place (even for you us citizen)  is not something we don't care.

Quote[/b] ]Since when is my facking calculus prof even have the right to instill his political views in my head?

He's trying to educate you, it's nothing to be affraid of really...

Educate? He could educate by teaching me calculus..... If I wanted to hear political views then I would have taken a political science course instead of engineering and math courses mad_o.gif

CBS has

219 Bush

199 Kerry

Quote[/b] ]I DID for Maryland!!

And MD went Kerry :|

Yea I KNOW!

MD is pissing me off. There are SO many liberals and democrats here, it makes me choke on some days.

I lived in MD my whole life and all my friends live here, but I have been thinking about and researching moving out for a long time now.

I live in Montgomery County, the most liberal puke land of Maryland. I am a Marylander, but if I don't move out of the state, I will certainly move out of this shitty liberal county.

MD has many more conservative counties in many parts.

God help me get out of this shit hole.

But hey, at least I did my part. And Bush IS winning!

I just gotta stay calm til it's official!

Anyone wanna AIM me, it is GhstDrunk

Engage in discussion with him, maybe you'll learn something new. College is time for maturing and figuring out that things are really not that black and white.

Quote[/b] ]I live in Montgomery County, the most liberal puke land of Maryland. I am a Marylander, but if I don't move out of the state, I will certainly move out of this shitty liberal county.

If I come back to this country maybe I will live there.

Quote[/b] ]I live in Montgomery County, the most liberal puke land of Maryland.  I am a Marylander, but if I don't move out of the state, I will certainly move out of this shitty liberal county.

What's exactly so shitty about that?

Should people somehow be more reserved and restrainted?

Please explain in detail...

Quote[/b] ]See you in MAYBE 4 years.......

Not if we can figure out how to reanimate Reagan...

At the moment, Bush leads by ~40 EVs and ~2.6 million popular votes.