Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

Us presidential election 2004

Not really, as I was referring to ignorance in general. As you can see in my edited post, I changed 'Bush' to 'someone' before I saw your reply.

Can't be partisan when I'm being cynical, now can I?

People are, on the whole, idiots. As long as they are prepared to vote for Bush "because he looks like a nice guy", why bother with such details like the candidate's actual program?

I believe they are more lazy and self-absorbed than idiots.  An American professional with a good job, who is able to meet his mortgage payments typically cares more about maintaining the status quo than understanding what his nation is actually doing overseas.  Consider the moll of the mafia boss, content to live a comfortable life as long as she remains convinced that those are ketchup stains she keeps having to clean out of her husband's shirt.  ...Hardly an idiot.

Quote[/b] ]Not really, as I was referring to ignorance in general. As you can see in my edited post, I changed 'Bush' to 'someone' before I saw your reply.

Can't be partisan when I'm being cynical, now can I?

Your true emotions were shown briefly... wink_o.gif

@billybob2002's sign

Quote[/b] ]I'm still voting for Bush!!!!

Hey! Nothing you can say can change what you done to me! Now it is to time to shine. Now I'm going to take what is mine!

Should I come over there and drug you down so that I can vote for you?  tounge_o.gif

We will covert you to vote on Kerry in this last few days we have left, either you like it or not tounge_o.gif

unclesam.gif Go Kerry unclesam.gif

Indeed, seeing as the report which sparked my disgust showed that it was Bush supporters who displayed the most blatant lack of knowledge about their candidate. Also, my dislike of Mr. Bush has never been a matter of secrecy.

In this case however, I feel that the problem is much more widespread. I don't think it's 'the Bush supports' who are ignorant, but that part of the electorate as such. Connecting their ignorance to Mr. Bush is giving him too much credit. I feel that this ignorance is the result of a process of disinforming which has been around for longer than just the past four years.

I believe they are more lazy and self-absorbed than idiots. An American professional with a good job, who is able to meet his mortgage payments typically cares more about maintaining the status quo than understanding what his nation is actually doing overseas. Consider the moll of the mafia boss, content to live a comfortable life as long as she remains convinced that those are ketchup stains she keeps having to clean out of her husband's shirt. ...Hardly an idiot.

Really? Being myopic and refusing to acknowledge facts which may affect you later on in return for short-term comfort is what constitutes being and idiot... at least in my books.

I'm sorry, but ignorance is not less grievous if voluntary. Quite the contrary.

Anyway, my final post for the time being! I think I'll just wait till a nice heap o' responses piles up and answer them all in bulk smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]We will covert you to vote on Kerry in this last few days we have left, either you like it or not

Never! Do all the harm you can do to me....

Do all the harm you can do to me....

<span id='ME'><center>ran is getting the electrodes ready</center></span>

wink_o.gif

I believe they are more lazy and self-absorbed than idiots.  An American professional with a good job, who is able to meet his mortgage payments typically cares more about maintaining the status quo than understanding what his nation is actually doing overseas.  Consider the moll of the mafia boss, content to live a comfortable life as long as she remains convinced that those are ketchup stains she keeps having to clean out of her husband's shirt.  ...Hardly an idiot.

Really? Being myopic and refusing to acknowledge facts which may affect you later on in return for short-term comfort is what constitutes being and idiot... at least in my books.

I'm sorry, but ignorance is not less grievous if voluntary. Quite the contrary.

I merely added a few more adjectives to the single adjective you were applying.  And I don't mind adding amoral to lazy and self-absorbed, either.  I certainly didn't disagree about there being idiots out there, but they are not all idiots.

Of course ignorance is even more grievous if voluntary, however the struggle against involuntary ignorance is fought very differently than the struggle against voluntary ignorance.  The first step in changing someone's opinion is understanding why they really formed it.  And don't be surprised if many prefer to be tagged an idiot rather than admit to reasons like fear, greed or even apathy.

@Bern: One more week... wow_o.gif

You can stop posting now.  I don't think Kerry's margin of victory will be greater than 14.76%.   tounge_o.gif

Just got a call from the previous PCO that we're getting swastika'd Bush/Cheney signs out here too. Only signs not stolen were ones he wired into farmers' fences. So we'll be getting out the baling wire and making the rounds this week.

Saw this AP news blip.

Quote[/b] ]

WASHINGTON (AP) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, the second-oldest man to preside over the nation's highest court and its premier conservative figure, is undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer.

Rehnquist, 80, underwent a tracheotomy at Bethesda Naval Hospital in suburban Maryland on Saturday, the Supreme Court announced Monday. It said he expects to be back at work next week when the court will next be meeting to hear cases.

Oh, and what's 'work' for next week? There is no way according to the current polls that this is not going to be contested.

Quote[/b] ]

On Dec. 13, 2000, Rehnquist joined four other Supreme Court justices in reversing Florida's court-ordered recount of presidential election ballots. The majority of the high court determined there was no time to conduct a lawful recount.

No Rehnquist, no 5-4, that means 4-4 rulings. ghostface.gif

4-4 rulings mean congressional proceedings, but that's next congress, and do they have the jurisdiction to mess with prior elections?

If you can scam some credentials and sell your self as a pundit, now's your chance to make loads of money on TV. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Do all the harm you can do to me...

You mean like locking you in a room filled with Barbara Streisand clones tounge_o.gif ?

Also, look what poll Bush won tounge_o.gif :

Quote[/b] ]The students who read Weekly Reader’s magazines have made their preference for President known: they want to send President Bush back to the White House.

The results of this year’s Weekly Reader poll have just been announced, and the winner is President Bush. Hundreds of thousands of students participated, giving the Republican President more than 60% of the votes cast and making him a decisive choice over Democratic Senator John Kerry.

Since 1956, Weekly Reader students in grades 1-12 have correctly picked the president, making the Weekly Reader poll one of the most accurate predictors of presidential outcomes in history.

President Bush was a strong winner in the student poll; the only state Senator Kerry won was Maryland. Senator Kerry was also in a statistical dead heat with President Bush in New York, Massachusetts, Washington, D.C. and Vermont. President Bush won most grades, although Senator Kerry did win among tenth-graders.

billybob

Quote[/b] ]Never! Do all the harm you can do to me....

After they key your car, shoot out your windows, and burn a swastika in your lawn, they'll probably take you up on it.

They're worse than Red Sox fans.

Quote[/b] ]You can stop posting now. I don't think Kerry's margin of victory will be greater than 14.76%.

Noooooo.... biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

ran is getting the electrodes ready

*first shock*

Ok, I will vote for Kerry... crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Since 1956, Weekly Reader students in grades 1-12 have correctly picked the president, making the Weekly Reader poll one of the most accurate predictors of presidential outcomes in history.

WoW!!

Quote[/b] ]After they key your car, shoot out your windows, and burn a swastika in your lawn, they'll probably take you up on it.

They're worse than Red Sox fans.

Low blow... wow_o.gif

You mean like locking you in a room filled with Barbara Streisand clones tounge_o.gif ?

Quote[/b] ]The students who read Weekly Reader’s magazines have made their preference for President known: they want to send President Bush back to the White House.

The results of this year’s Weekly Reader poll have just been announced, and the winner is President Bush. Hundreds of thousands of students participated, giving the Republican President more than 60% of the votes cast and making him a decisive choice over Democratic Senator John Kerry.

Since 1956, Weekly Reader students in grades 1-12 have correctly picked the president, making the Weekly Reader poll one of the most accurate predictors of presidential outcomes in history.

President Bush was a strong winner in the student poll; the only state Senator Kerry won was Maryland. Senator Kerry was also in a statistical dead heat with President Bush in New York, Massachusetts, Washington, D.C. and Vermont. President Bush won most grades, although Senator Kerry did win among tenth-graders.

Are you getting this from This link? not working anymore, wonder why? Could the reason be that the story is bullshit and they withdrew it?

Oh for christs sake.

You really think a freakin' first grader really knows anything? What do you think the chances are they just picked the person they recognized? Given the 50-50 chance of picking the winner, I see little to woot about in this "poll."

Oh for christs sake.

You really think a freakin' first grader really knows anything? What do you think the chances are they just picked the person they recognized? Given the 50-50 chance of picking the winner, I see little to woot about in this "poll."

Your are the wrong the whole world is wrong , that article is correct crazy_o.gif

Weekly Reader hasn't blown one yet.

...Not since 1956.  And it would have predicted Truman as well if he'd only kept reading The Pet Goat while Japan was attacking Pearl Harbour.

crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You really think a freakin' first grader really knows anything?

Yes, which is why I put a  ( tounge_o.gif ) smilie next to "Also, look what poll Bush won". As you very well know, a ( tounge_o.gif ) smilie is a marker of a well-thought-out statement that rest upon iron-clad facts.

You really think a freakin' first grader really knows anything?

I'm thinking of taking them along to Las Vegas and giving them 10% of our roulette earnings.

I heard top prize for winning that poll was a hardcover copy of "My Pet Goat". Maybe now Bush can finish reading it with all that spare time down in Crawford. Hell, I'll even chip in and buy him a goat.

Bush wins Iran's endorsement

Quote[/b] ]TEHRAN, Iran - The head of Iran's security council said Tuesday that the re-election of President Bush (news - web sites) was in Tehran's best interests, despite the administration's axis of evil label, accusations that Iran harbors al-Qaida terrorists and threats of sanctions over the country's nuclear ambitions.

Historically, Democrats have harmed Iran more than Republicans, said Hasan Rowhani, head of the Supreme National Security Council, Iran's top security decision-making body.

"We haven't seen anything good from Democrats," Rowhani told state-run television in remarks that, for the first time in recent decades, saw Iran openly supporting one U.S. presidential candidate over another.

Though Iran generally does not publicly wade into U.S. presidential politics, it has a history of preferring Republicans over Democrats, who tend to press human rights issues.

"We do not desire to see Democrats take over," Rowhani said when asked if Iran was supporting Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) against Bush.

The Bush campaign said no thanks.

Hehehe. I like how everyone who would use it against Kerry if he was endorsed will now completely ignore this.

Who would teh terorists REALLY vote for!? tounge_o.gif

[flaming]Anyhow... Why is Bush leading?! 4 more years with that jackass?!  crazy_o.gif [/flaming]

unclesam.gif Go Kerry unclesam.gif