Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

Bible code? i'm sorta alarmed

I flipped to the history channel last night to a program called the bible code, it seemed interesting until it said that the armegedon was coming in 2012. Now I dunno what to think? Are we all gonna die or is this some sorta bs? ghostface.gif

im gona guess its the same people who said that the world was comming to a end in 2000. so im going w/ BS

Out of curiousity, what exactly did this show use as "evidence" to back up its claim? I've heard many a date for Armageddon.

The bible code in a nutshell from what I understand from the previous documetnaries is that certain patterns in the bible can spell out events that have happened, leading some to belive that the future lies in the bible, all they have to do is find the patterns. I think one of them was every other letter, then every two, three, etc. And one guy said that after ever xxxxx letter (He had a number, can't remember it) that there were several past events found.

I find this very hard to believe. Something as large as teh bible is bound to say what has happened if you look hard enough IMO.

The bible code in a nutshell from what I understand from the previous documetnaries is that certain patterns in the bible can spell out events that have happened, leading some to belive that the future lies in the bible, all they have to do is find the patterns.  I think one of them was every other letter, then every two, three, etc.  And one guy said that after ever xxxxx letter (He had a number, can't remember it) that there were several past events found.

I find this very hard to believe.  Something as large as teh bible is bound to say what has happened if you look hard enough IMO.

I hope your right because I don't want to die in my prime :P

I bothered to read his book and it is a total bullshit. (Bible Code by Michael Drosnin). As always he promises a lot in his book. He talks a lot about of events in the past are encoded in the bible but misses out to give appropriate forecasts. 271 pages, well written by Drosnin who worked for the washington post (not bad), wallstreet journal and New York Times (only Herald Tribune missing and you are ready for the Pulitzer). However his book reveals little. BUT he writes HOW the code works. And if you got HIS computer-program you could start playing with the future yourself. WHy didnt he publush his computer-program? rock.gif

I find this very hard to believe. Something as large as teh bible is bound to say what has happened if you look hard enough IMO.

Not only is the bible a very big book, but the claims already crumble if you consider the following questions:

- What translation of the bible was used? British or american english, russian, urdu, swaheli or ... (there's probably no written language the bible hasn't been translated to)

- And then, what version - catholic, anglican, protestant, orthodox (or any other versions out there)?

- From what year? Just comparing my 1912 catholic bible with its more recent editions already shows plenty differences in the actual language - and thus in the letters of the words.

Using enough fantasy you can prove about everything based on the bible or any other book as large and with as many different editions and translations.

Using enough fantasy you can prove about everything based on the bible or any other book as large and with as many different editions and translations.

In that case I'm gonan get crackin on my Moby Dick code! biggrin_o.gif

I find this very hard to believe.  Something as large as teh bible is bound to say what has happened if you look hard enough IMO.

Not only is the bible a very big book, but the claims already crumble if you consider the following questions:

- What translation of the bible was used? British or american english, russian, urdu, swaheli or ... (there's probably no written language the bible hasn't been translated to)

- And then, what version - catholic, anglican, protestant, orthodox (or any other versions out there)?

- From what year? Just comparing my 1912 catholic bible with its more recent editions already shows plenty differences in the actual language - and thus in the letters of the words.

The Hebrew one I think.

Scary! crazy_o.gif

My schoolmate, who believed he is reincarnation of Jesus also said it'll happen in 2012, which is really an interesting coincidence (maybe his indulgence in magic mushrooms also played a part in that, but...).

if you would've bothered to read a bit of background info before making striking comments like that yo would know that:

-original Hebrew bible was used

-see above

-Hebrew language is a bit harder than english to change i would suppose

That would put the Bible, the Mayan Calendar, and my Economics teacher in agreement (his forecast for the year that Social Security collapses and bites us in the ass also happens to be 2012, heh). Anyhow, here's a link on the Mayan's cyclical calendar system: http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

Quote[/b] ]Why did the ancient Mayan or pre-Maya choose December 21st, 2012 A.D., as the end of their Long Count calendar? This article will cover some recent research. Scholars have known for decades that the 13-baktun cycle of the Mayan "Long Count" system of timekeeping was set to end precisely on a winter solstice, and that this system was put in place some 2300 years ago. This amazing fact - that ancient Mesoameri- can skywatchers were able to pinpoint a winter solstice far off into the future - has not been dealt with by Mayanists. And why did they choose the year 2012? One immediately gets the impression that there is a very strange mystery to be confronted here. I will be building upon a clue to this mystery reported by epigrapher Linda Schele in Maya Cosmos (1994). This article is the natural culmination of the research relating to the Mayan Long Count and the precession of the equinoxes that I explored in my recent book Tzolkin: Visionary Perspectives and Calendar Studies (Borderlands Science and Research Foundation, 1994).

And it goes on. Fascinating stuff.

Anyone out there who believes in the `Bible Code', PM me, I have some swampland in Florida you might be interested in.

(sorry, vB code isn't working, some cookie problem I suspect)

The following challenge was made by Michael Drosnin:

When my critics find a message about the assassination of a prime minister encrypted in Moby Dick, I'll believe them.

(Newsweek, Jun 9, 1997)

Note that English with the vowels included is far less flexible than Hebrew when it comes to making letters into words. Nevertheless, without further ado, we present our answer to Mr Drosnin's challenge.

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm....5593205

(again, apologies for lack of code.)

I flipped to the history channel last night to a program called the bible code, it seemed interesting until it said that the armegedon was coming in 2012. Now I dunno what to think? Are we all gonna die or is this some sorta bs? ghostface.gif

We will all die --sooner or later.

SCNR wink_o.gif

Nah, this topic is popping up regularly. Hey, Nostradamus did some predictions, too. Don't be worried, after a few years you'll get used to such "news".

There are more important problems, e.g. "What am I going to eat tomorrow?" (according to our Mensa's menu, I'd choose "Steak Florida") or "How to begin my lecture next week?".

biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, good fight, good night!

http://www.johntitor.com/

According to john titor, who claimed to be from the future,

the U.S. has a full out civil war in 2012, which led to the

nuclear destruction of the cities by 2015. Russian and

China were going nuts invading shit, and apparently us

Canucks turn out to be "the most efficient and dangerous

people i have ever met" according to john. So i guess we

all have 8 years to build shelters, and we Canadians better

start kicking ass...

BTW the bible code is based on the original printed languages.

I got the book so I can post tomorrow on how the code works and which predictions the author extracted from the book.

BUT: each input doesnt give more than a few words. So for example Hitler comes in combination with "Nazis" and "bloodbath" and the period of time of Nazi germany contains the words: Nazis, Berlin, Eichmann, ovens (in german a special term for burning humans), extinction (genocide), Zyklon B, final solution (in german: Endlösung). The coding program was given to Yale and and Harvard (mathematic section) and they tested the code as well as these terms!

The bible contains an unlimited amount of information if "as Harvard found" the code works with the forumla. S,P(P(S)) = P2(S)...,Pk(S) => which leads to the conclusion that about 20 Billion terms could be described.

If you put in the Holocaust you get the precise date of it (as for all historical terms).

The definition of how the code works is given precisely at the end of the book with clear (Harvard language) definitions. So in case someone of you wants to build a program himself. You are welcome to so, but I would suggest you learn hebrew (and your computer too).

Also, the book is smart enough to provide several solutions to history, depending on which step a country takes. And the astonishing thing. The story where such a term is described often gives some wisdom words on how it should be dealt with, but this time not in a code, but in the actual hebrew tale being told.

Take any book of that length, apply some sort of mathematics to it, trawl through the results and you'll get similar stuff. In fact get 1000 monkeys and 1000 typewriters.....

This is old and it's as much complete BS now as it was then. The human brain is wired to seek out patterns. Unfortunately it's also wired to be stupid sad_o.gif

Personally, I have never heard anyone speak of great relevance about the Bible Codes in my Jewish Orthodox religious circles. It's curiously interesting but mostly of pragmatic irrelevance.

I can find a billion sites claiming that the codes are easily disproved. Most of them say things that are too obvious to have allowed the original authors to make there claims in the first place.

As an example of a site the refutes the Code's detractor's, I found Torah Codes, with refutation articles from 2 years ago.

Going head on against the above is Barry Simon, a Jewish Orthodox IBM Professor of Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at Caltech.

Damn koolkid, I remember you were panicking and thinking we were going to die when they said that that one meteor was going to hit the earth, and then partied like your life had just been saved when it was confirmed that it was never on a collision course in the first place. tounge_o.gif

Don't believe everything you read/see/hear. wink_o.gif