Sign in to follow this  
Badassdom

Large ships

why hasn't anyone made a large war ships?

the only project i found (besides falklands)was this

lafayette.jpg

a very early la fayette

Mostly because of game limits,even the large ship that comes with OFP isnt enterable (well it is a bit actually) or much usable.

But there are some,Hawks carrier,mods like Falklands and Trenchfeet has some nice destroyers,but I know of quite a few,not sure how large you mean

why hasn't anyone made a large war ships?

the only project i found (besides falklands)was this

a very early la fayette

Why?

1: People simply dont have the time to make/complete/start such kind of project

2: OFP is not made for Naval Combat

3: The comunity is requesting more land vehicles then sea based stuff

Solution:

OFP2

OFP 2 will not entirely though be based on sea born vehicles too. Though a carrier or two could be present and hell, perhaps battleships, I mean it still isn't ment for sea combat, we all love land better ya know wink_o.gif

sniff my first addon the lafayette frigate wink_o.gif

Why aren't there more big ships in OFP?

Simple. The current engine doesn't make them functional enough to be able to simulate what large ships do.

Why make non-functional ships when you can make functional land and air addons.

Hopefully, as waffen pointed out, OFPII will resolve this, and then you should see more big ships produced smile_o.gif

GCS0112.jpg

Apparently, they aren't interesting enough.

well stuff like the pauk class are very good addons

a specialy with scripts for multiple weapons

the pauk script for the waffenturm also works with Hawks nimitz aa battery so why not improve this?

Quote[/b] ]Apparently, they aren't interesting enough.

I'd disagree with that. People are interested in having big ships in game. But they get turned off by the fact that at the moment, there is only so much you can do with a big ship.

It'd be great to see warships with multiple functional weapons systems, useable cargo capabilities e.t.c.

But as we know that this is near to impossible to acheive at the moment, there isn't much we can do about it, thus for the time being, people are disheartened rather than uninterested. smile_o.gif

well... that new carrier (hawk?) has multiple weapons systems on it.... quite possible

So does the Pauk. quite a few, in fact.

The USS Nimitz is not one ship. It is a bunch of pieces fitted together to form a ship, which is what allows it to have multiple weapon systems. Think of it as having a bunch of buildings put up really close to each other to form a larger building.

Quote[/b] ]It is a bunch of pieces fitted together to form a ship, which is what allows it to have multiple weapon systems.

Ships can have multiple weapon systems because they are almost always level, which allows you to setpos weapon systems onto them. You don't necessarily need to make a ship out of seperate pieces, you could have one ship with multiple turrets attached with scripts smile_o.gif .

yes but it is very hard, time consuming & boring, crazy_o.gif

there is quite a bit of scriptsing needed to keep all the turrents in place all the time (well with my scripts. i'd like to know if anyones got some purfect 1's )

I think Ships - like any military equipment can be useful in OFP, eventhough OFP wasn't designed for naval combat ...OFP isn't designed for anything in particular! It's just full of possibilities.

Ships can serve as a platform for helicopters and marines. They could even serve as fire support platforms. Maybe with CoC UA. They also have anti-aircraft capability. The ships don't necessarily have to be driveble and they don't have to have an interior.

So OFP is not designed for naval combat.

Too bad because I like naval combat. Seeing all those great ships smoulder and gradually sink is great. So is the sight of sailors jumping off deck.

If Ofp is not suitable for big battleships, what game am I going to play which has extensive naval combat?

Strange that nobody remembers the U.S.S. Ashland from the ToW mod?

The Hawk's Nimith is great one! If he could upgrade it from beta to final it would be great. And interior is important too, imo. Did you played Renegade? I've recently played it. There was carrier in cutscenes. it was used as HQ. You were meeting General there and he gave you orders... bla bla bla. So i acme up with idea to make static big ships and use them as HQ. For example we could make air mission with Hawk's ship. for example you start on deck, go too meet your commander in the tower, he gives you order to take plane and destroy something on the island... Possibilities are numerless, as everything in OFP smile_o.gif

There are many large ships in progress and i have come up with a way of moving a large ship.

however it will no work in MP

and there will be gaps in the deck where the sections are joined.

also to resolve the prob of sliding objects they could be secured down like in the BAS mh-47.

not really worth the effort with ofp2 coming out soon rock.gif