Sign in to follow this  
Badassdom

Large ships

We're working on the DDG51 (USS Arleigh Burke) model right now.

Just need a texture army.

There are many large ships in progress and i have come up with a way of moving a large ship.

however it will no work in MP

and there will be gaps in the deck where the sections are joined.

also to resolve the prob of sliding objects they could be secured down like in the BAS mh-47.

not really worth the effort with ofp2 coming out soon rock.gif

no but ships can be used as stationaire objects to launch amfibisch(?) attacks from like the ashland, but new ships or sf attacks from firgats with CoC artiliery or missles.

GCS0112.jpg

Apparently, they aren't interesting enough.

Is THAT an Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate? wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gifwow_o.gif

Me WANTS ZHAT!!! smile_o.gif

So far, there have been few large ships, the LSD being the best large ship IMHO since it's got a very complete set of interiors to walk through... most unfortunately, not every part of the landing deck is useable for walking or landing with choppers, and I woulnd't even try using Colonel Klink's Harrier... speaking of him, he's also made those great working submarines (for all those who thought that the OFP engine was limited, I can hardly find better proof against that).

Well, carriers have their use because they provide a place to land and take-off from, even for islands that don't have an airport or airstrip. The downside of it is, you gonna learn just how hard it is to land on one of those things - no matter what, there's no simple autopilot... (and don't try to land on the Tarawa either, only the middle section is steady ground!!!).

One thing that I also expected that would be greatly improved has been lying dead in the drydock... no one has developed any functional vehicle-carrying ship!!! I mean, air-lifting isn't a problem thanks to BAS and others, but what about ship transport??

Someone made a Zubr once but it wasn't good enough to handle vehicular transport. BRSSEB has pictures on his site from something looking like a functional vehicle-carrying ship, but that hasn't been neither perfected nor seen the daylight for perfectioning of anybody who could invest some more time into it...

I mean, we all know just how fast a BMP, BMD, BTR-70/80, BRDM, M113 or AAV-7 traverse water... "Go to the other shore whilst I take a nap"  sad_o.gif  Plus, the Bradley and all of the Tanks (with exception to the PT-76 or any other specific gators) aren't even amphib-capable... Imagine you have islands which are connected by bridges... all you need is to destroy them and the other piece of land is sealed off from serious armored reinforcements...

SOMEONE IMPROVE THE ZUBR AND MAKE A FUNCTIONAL LCAC PLEASE!!!

(Edit: I almost forgot that the first completely non-functional large ship came from none other than BIS, and a LANDING SHIP TANK AT THAT!!! WHAT A WASTE!!! THEY SHOULD HAVE MADE IT FUNCTIONAL!!!  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif )

We've got OHP and AB models that just need some poly reduction before we can probably put them ingame.

They do come with textures but we'd need permission to use them.

All we'd have to do is the bridge, the CIC, some hallways, and the deck.

Most of the reasons have been covered. OFP 2 desperately needs a lot of the features that most FPS type games of this genre have now.

Shooting from cargo positions with your own weapon...

moving about on large moving platforms or vehicles. Aka ships...

That's pretty much why they haven't been made en masse. They'd be nice for ambiance but that's about it.

BUZZARD @ May 17 2004,18:29)][quote name=Wardog' date='Feb. 15 2004,04:07(...)

(Edit: I almost forgot that the first completely non-functional large ship came from none other than BIS, and a LANDING SHIP TANK AT THAT!!! WHAT A WASTE!!! THEY SHOULD HAVE MADE IT FUNCTIONAL!!!  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif )

remember, this was two years ago... wink_o.gif

but i really wonder what has happened to sigma´s tanker vessels. they looked very promising. but as long as there aren´t any good and functional boarding seals out, i can wait. smile_o.gif

In OFP2 it would be cool to have even a non enterable battleship (Except commander/driver/gunner) and use it's main guns much like CoC/WGL Arty.

The USS Nimitz is not one ship. It is a bunch of pieces fitted together to form a ship, which is what allows it to have multiple weapon systems. Think of it as having a bunch of buildings put up really close to each other to form a larger building.

and thats exactly what we need more of. i actualy started work on a USN campaign to take the midway island. mostly carrier based stuff. between teh USS Nimitz, the USS Ashland and the LST for eye candy. ive had alot of fun justmessin around in SP honeslty all you really need is a script to simulate the churn of the water in the back (like the default baots have) to make it look like the fleet is moving. cuz in open sea you cant tel if your moving or not. and it would be perfect.

enterable destroyers your "big building", stationed in port. .misison objective is to stand garud on the ship. .spetz naz and whatnot tryin to attack. have it out in the ocean. UA compatable. most ships used for shelling are stationonary when fireing/aquiring target anyway.

to all those who claim "mabe in OFP 2"

honestly. . . im tired of hearing this. . . yes OFP 2 wil be the perf3ect game with all bugs fixed blah blah. . .but we dont have OFP 2 do we?

i dont recall buying it yet. we have OFP:R, and we need to mod the hell out of it. . .why put the pressure on? get acustom to mods and addons that improve the game we do have. the pains of life are solved by death but that doesnt mean you need to commit suicide. it means you need to make the best of what you have now. and be greatful when something better comes along.

Besides, OFP 2 is supposed to be retro-compatible...  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

So don't give up on this yet!!!

Personally, I would love to have some big ships to play around with. They don't have to be able to move; actually, I don't see any reason at all for them to move. What, are you going to sail around the island in your aircraft carrier or something? However, smaller ships for landing that actually worked would be nice too (such as LCACs).

Think of it people: you could have a mission where you're fighter squadron has to take out the enemy' aircraft carrier. Imagine what that would look like, if it were protected by a couple destroyers: there would be a huge dogfight in the air, you would have tracers flying everywhere, it would be awesome.

As someone else suggested, you could have the ship in port, in which case it would be an awesome piece of scenery, and a great mission centerpiece.

Or how about in MP? How about a REAL CTI, where instead of "building" things, you have to bring them ashore, like it would happen in real life? Each team would have a small fleet of ships that would be on opposite sides of the island. You would be limited by how much you can move ashore at one time, so instead of capturing towns, you would capture beaches. To win, you could destroy your opponents naval fleet, or you could take all the beaches on the island.

Instead of just getting 'new and improved' versions of things that we already have in-game (land units, helos, tanks, etc), I think it would be great if somebody would try something different, and bring something new to the game.

Some time ago CoPilot and me made a ship based on the LST.. however it has a buildup from the LSD (got permission).

It looks ok and is fully enterable but it needs some texturing work here and there.

The only problem is OFP's size limit , if someone wants to continue working on it they should PM me or mail me smile_o.gif

LST.jpg

What I really wish is that someone would update that old Russian Zubr hovercraft. All it needs is just a script to hold vehicles kinda like the BAS CH-47 Chinook's cargo script. I don't care whether you can see the vehicles inside the Zubr or not, it would just be nice to see it drop off vehicles in front of it when it landed troops. Aside from that hower I think it's great for dropping off Russian troops on a beach. Perfect for Earl & Suchey's Russian Marines.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

What I really wish is that someone would update that old Russian Zubr hovercraft.   All it needs is just a script to hold vehicles kinda like the BAS CH-47 Chinook's cargo script.  I don't care whether you can see the vehicles inside the Zubr or not, it would just be nice to see it drop off vehicles in front of it when it landed troops.  Aside from that hower I think it's great for dropping off Russian troops on a beach.   Perfect for Earl & Suchey's Russian Marines.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well I actually DO care if it can carry vehicles because you already have lots of boats that can carry units only...

Ah, and make it carry something with more firepower than the Jeep's MG... I only wish someone would make a script or modify BAS's so that ships & large planes could carry heavy armored vehicles like MBTs...

i made a quick search on ofp.info and was surprised HOW MANY PROJECTS WERE MAKING SHIPS wow_o.gif

How many are ACTUALLY making ships still though?

Probably three.

In any event the Arleigh is at a "playable" poly state with some interior done. I'm gonna go dig up the old thread and post some pics when I get the chance

(On a side note, freedom from post restriction)

I can confirm Falklands Mod are still building ships.

Most of the ships we have are 'scenery' with guns on, but we do have a few moveable ships and do hope to include a LCU that transports more than troops.

yes and we all love biggrin_o.gif falklands to bad your the only one

but one great mod making ships is better then none

USS NIMITZ is also a great ship. And it is already released for the public mad_o.gif

It's a BEAUTIFUL ship. So is the Pauk, the LSD, the subs & trawlers from Col. Klink, and so many others. MORE NEEDED!! biggrin_o.gif

USS NIMITZ is also a great ship. And it is already released for the public  mad_o.gif

but its no mod and its one of a few ships

If you want an older carrier look at the 1968 Hermes that was released