Sign in to follow this  
alswede

how to use the watch and compass?

I'm lost in the woods and play in veteran mode.Is there a way to find out where I am with help of the compass and the watch?Any help will be highly appreciated.

Al

best way it to get on the road and look down it, then compair that to the map for a road that runs in the same direction

after that you have to keep looking at the map with small land marks like a oddly shaped group of trees ect. just to keep updating your self on your location

Here in Finland kids learn how to use compass and map in 3rd grade smile.gif

here in the netherlands ur never more then 100 meters from a house where u can ask where u are :biggrin:

you'de get lost in manitoba, we have lakes bigger then England here!

and no houses or roads for hundreds of miles, wait! never mind manitoba you'de get lost in the territories lol

no roads lol

The compass is accessed by holding down "g".

Ok...find a safe place...hunker down (get low)....access map by pushing "m" Find your self on the map. To do this use terrain highpoints, roads, water and towns. The gridlines get closer on the map at highpoints.

This will take awhile but after you find yourself shoot an azimuth (compass direction) to a waypoint that you want. Say from the map you think there should be a town to the northeast at maybe 1000 meters or a click away (1 Kilometer). So you turn off your map and push "g" to see your direction of travel. OK, my map says I'm facing the wrong direction. South. Turn until the compass says you are facing northeast. Travel in that direction, stopping periodically to reference the map to see if the terrain looks right. Contine until you confirm your position or until you confirm that you are still lost. If lost...wash and repeat.

A good compass man is essential. In real life your men get pretty pissed off if you get them lost.

Check your watch, what time is it? Where should the sun be? maybe north-east? check your compass...ok, now u know your direction, it shouldd be alot easier to see landmarks now on the map.

you dont need to know the time to use the compass heheheh

moatngator said it well.

its a simple thing of looking for landmarks, see a big stone?, its marked on the map, see a town?, its on the map too, see a forest?..all in the map.

just check for landmarks in 2-3 different directions and you can pretty much pinpoint your location to gps accuracy (after some training).

i personally just look aproximately where i am and where im headed, just a short check on the map...you dont need to know exactly where you are.

And if you're totally lost, I mean, without the slightest clue of what area of the map you're at, and all the hills and streets look alike, just go to the next town and have a look at the sign that has the town's name on it. That should help...

Of course make sure there are no baddies in the town when you waltz in to look at a sign. otherwise the only sign you will read is a tombstone saying "RIP"....lol

the best thing to do when one's lost (at least in demo) is to call support => medic, and of course the doctor will never be arsed to come from far away (unless you have one in your team) but in the radio call you'll automatically shout your coordinates on the map (eg. fg 50). works in my demo...

(Edited by Cyanide at 2:09 pm on Nov. 23, 2001)

that's cheating....how can you say your coordinates if you don't know where you are.

If you like realism, find your own way back/out/home...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MoatnGator2 on 1:01 pm on Nov. 23, 2001

that's cheating....how can you say your coordinates if you don't know where you are.

If you like realism, find your own way back/out/home...<span id='postcolor'>

in fact i've never had to use this trick, not even in night missions. in "real life" wink.gif , i used to do a lot of orienteering (i hope it's the right word for the sport where you have loads of guys doing x-country running with maps and compasses). just thought my observation would be useful to those not too familiar with finding themselves on a map...

(Edited by Cyanide at 2:11 pm on Nov. 23, 2001)

I read somewhere you should leave a trail of pebbles. But don't use bread crumbs! The birds might eat them, and then you'll be in a world of s**t!

Guest Scooby

In real life if you are completly lost on a map one effective way is just to draw a sketch of the surroundings to ground. (in OFP it would be on piece of paper that is on your desk)

Check how hills are shaped and positioned around you. How roads and paths go. If there are big rocks or such that would be marked on map and then locate similiar place on a map. Bit harder in OFP because of lack of small unique details in scenery.

Then wipe sketch from the ground after you have pinpointed your location and move on.

ofp is good teacher, someone who learned orientation from the game will be able to do it in reality, and vice versa.

in real life you dont really even need a compass, only a map..the nature has enough signs to show where the north is...all you need is a map smile.gif

this works well in ofp also, the stars and the sun can guide you if needed, you will need be able to see the directions from the trees as in real life, or ant-colonies..but it would be too much to ask from bis smile.gif

the simple thing that they didnt add a gps in this game and force you to navigate with basic skills as using the map and compass makes bis into pure geniouses to me, and the game more real than any other game will be in a long time.

Were did ya learn that one? Thats a waste of time dude. Look at your surroundings then loook at a map and find hills and Intersections on it that will tell you were your at.

...but there is a GPS in flashpoint...

If you've lead your whole team astray, just get one of them to 'report stauts' this flashes up your coordinates and places the info on the map.

This thread is not far off 4 years old, please don't dig up old threads, being new it's advisable to skim through the forum rules smile_o.gif