Sign in to follow this  
PSC

Wheels

When I made the MT-LB addon I sometimes realized that the wheels didn't exactly rotate around the center of the actual wheel. But this only happened sometimes. Now I'm working on a tracked addon again, but this time the wheels always rotate around the wrong center of rotation:

test.gif

Does somebody know what could cause this? I don't have 3D wheels in the FireGeo/Geometry LOD. Just a structure of the shape of the complete track. Maybe that could cause the trouble?

Regards, Sebastian

actually this is an intentional 'feature' of ofp. Look at the

wheels on the abrams, they wobble like crazy. now notice

the two drive wheels that aren't touching the ground, they

don't wobble at all. this is because there are two different

kinds of tank wheels in ofp, and you can decide which to

use in the config.

Tanks whel =kolP1,Etc

car wheel =levy predni ,Etc

Im sure you know this,but I dont see how this problem has come about.Ive never seen this.Maybe if you send me just the track in a Mlod .p3d,I would be glad to see if I can help come up with a solution.Mail it to me if you want at nzxshadowz@aol.com

Same problem here...

I have an APC model with two versions of the wheels, one just a simple cylinder, the other a cylinder with beveled edges. (for different detail levels) The simple version rotates around it's center as it should do. But the beveled version won't work correctly, i can't find a way to make it rotate around it's center, although i've tried redefining it in several ways, always the same result. crazy_o.gif

Any ideas what the problem might be or how to solve that?

Can't you just move the texture mapping slightly so that

the center of the texture is at the same point as the center

of rotation?

The wheel is a cylinder as i said, so what ever the texture positioning is, the wheel will be whacky anyway... I wonder how the center of rotation is calculated, the wheel is perfectly symmetric and therefor should be rotating around it's center. rock.gif

Is the beveling even? If you copy and paste the wheel,

then do Shift-D to merge all the points, does the resulting

vertex appear to be in the middle?

I can't think that the OFP engine does anything other than

the center-of-mass of the vertices in the selection - it

doesn't have any other information to work with, does it?

You sure it isnt your Textures? I have no problems with wonky wheels because the textures on the Wheels were made to be 100% accurate. Try a simple test to see if it is your textures by drawing a cross (With both lines going through the same pixel) Then place it on your model and now see if it goes round wonky

Quote[/b] ]Tanks whel =kolP1,Etc

car wheel =levy predni ,Etc

Make sure the 2 end cogs are called kolP1 - 2 for the right side and kolL1 - 2 for the left side then name the wheels KoloL1 to how many you got for left side and koloP1 to how many you have for right side

I have the answer .

Make sure that your wheels do not overlap the tracks

Thats it ! Simple eh ?   smile_o.gif

(sorry for the late reply sad_o.gif )

i had a similar problem and i think it was caused by hidden selections as i was using 1 p3d for 3 different versions of the vehicle. Try to select the flat part of the track (only the part that is supposed to stay on the ground), hit SHIFT + E (vertex prop.) and select the one inherent to fence objects (i don't remember the exact name, i don't have o2 here, but you should find it).

lol ... i've just saw the date of this post sad_o.gif

The date of the post is irelevant if you have a fix for an outstanding problem smile_o.gif

Hmm , still havnt worked out fully what the problem is .

Just when i seem to work out why its being caused , it will appear again randomly .

If any BIS Devs still haunt these forums , maybe they have expierienced similar problems and have a fix or at least a reason why so that it may become avoidable in the future .