Sign in to follow this  
Nathanz

Catalyst 4.2 released

Just noticed on ati.com

Have anyone tryed these yet ?? any improvements ?

Download cat 4.2 for WINXP

Download cat 4.2 for WINME/98

Quote[/b] ]Logging on as an Administrator under Windows XP and doing a fast user switch to limited user no longer results in display corruption when playing a DVD using WinDVD version 4 or 5

User defined colour setting are now retained when exiting a 3D game or application

The ATI Control Panel no longer fails to launch when attempting to enter the Advanced options of the primary display adapter after disabling extended desktop support

The Cancel button found in the ATI 3D tab is now working properly when switching between a user defined profile and the default setting

Enabling the CRT as the primary display and turning the TV off in the Display page no longer results in a general protection fault under Windows ME

The Anisotropic Filtering custom setting is now retained under Windows XP with an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 7200 installed

The D3D panel now retains the user defined AA/AF setting under Windows XP when a RADEONâ„¢ 8500 series is installed and the main setting is set to High Quality

Quote[/b] ]Resolved Game Issues

Launching the game Tron 2.0 under Windows XP no longer results in the game failing to respond after the game introduction is loaded

Launching the game Line of Sight: Vietnam and setting the graphics option to 800x600 16bpp no longer results in the game failing to respond when selecting a new game

Running the game Armed and Dangerous under Windows XP with an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9200 series installed no longer results in the display image appearing corrupted when selecting Storm the Base mission in the game

The game Half-Life is now displayed properly under Windows XP when the game resolution is set to either 320x240 or 400x300

Playing the game Serious Sam 2 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON&tdrade; 9500/9800 series installed no longer results in the game failing to run when the game option is set to OpenGL

Playing the game Unreal Tournament 2003 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9600 series installed no longer results in texture corruption being displayed on the flag surfaces in the DM-Tokara Forest

Selecting the Optimum Quality setting in D3D control panel no longer results in a frozen frame when launching the game HALO

Setting the resolution in the game SpyHunter to 1280x1024 along with having the Use Recommended Settings slider set to balanced in the ATI 3D tab no longer results in some background images being missing while the game is loading

Setting the display option to 640x480 or 800x600 in the game Splinter Cell no longer results in the game menu flickering

Returning to the main menu in the game Counter-Strike no longer results in the game's refresh rate reverting back to 60Hz when resuming game play

Hi!

Im glad you made this thread because i have a couple of questions.

Being a Nvidia user im unfamiliar with ATI, but it took a quick look at the installation instructions that can be found here.

Not only is the content in some parst contradicting to what ATI states on their main website. But the whole installation process looks more complicated (then Nvidias), especially considering that ATI's goal is to release new drivers each month

Can these (and other) drivers be installed over the older versions, just like Nvidias?

Err i dont know if im totaly correct but i uninstall my drivers first then install the new ones (did the same with nvidia drivers)

Edit:Speeling

Well,

I haven't had any trouble with just updating the drivers. Pretty much identical to Nvidia. I was a long time Nvidia user until they dropped the ball last year. (I have no loyalty. Whoever has the best card at the time for an upgrade).

yeah (shift eyes)

nubbin: Does ofp work the same (or at all:P) than 4.1 ?

yeah (shift eyes)

nubbin: Does ofp work the same (or at all:P) than 4.1 ?

I'm using 4.2 and have no trouble running OFP.

As the guys said above instaling the driver is as easy as Nvidia.

The complicated uninstallation process is only nescessary if you have an (much) older version of the drivers - if you were using Catalyst 3.8 or newer just uninstall the old driver and install the new one - it's the same as the recommended procedure for Nvidia's Detonators. Easy.

Hi!

Being a Nvidia user im unfamiliar with ATI, but it took a quick look at the installation instructions that can be found here.

Not only is the content in some parst contradicting to what ATI states on their main website. But the whole installation process looks more complicated (then Nvidias), especially considering that ATI's goal is to release new drivers each month

Can these (and other) drivers be installed over the older versions, just like Nvidias?

Tut tut, you should never just install over old drivers!

Hi!

Tut tut, you should never just install over old drivers!

Really? I mean, sure this isn't rocket sience but of all the millions of computer users, some (like pretty much everyone i know) who uses the computer to a certain extent, for easier tasks and occasional gaming, may find this procedure too lengthy/tricky/hard. (Especially if it's supposed to be done on a monthly basis)

Btw, i went into add/remove Programs and could not find any Video drivers there. (just another example how confusing it can be) =)

Oh and another thing. Why are these drivers called both 7,98 and 4,2 ?

smile_o.gif

just installed 4.2 no problems here with my rad 9700pro, they fix the texture prob i had with far cry aswell biggrin_o.gif

7.98 is driver build number

4.2 is Catalyst number, Catalyst is equal to previous name Detonator, actual ForceWare ...

Catalyst means WHQL certified official driver release for broad range of products ...

Also in Catalyst naming scheme 4 = year of release , 2 = number of release in that year (thats why last in 2003 was 3.10) ...

but let say driver 7.99 will be released only for OEM partner for his modified M10 notebook GPU ...

and let say 4.92 are going to be next Catalyst 4.3 ...

hopefully You now understood this scheme ...

Yeah, thanks for clearing that up smile_o.gif

So if i understand this correctly, you can install the new drivers over the old ones, just like with Nvidia, but it would still be better to delete the old ones first.

btw, should you restart the computer after deleting them, and then install the new ones?

Got a RADEON 9800 pro and I just installed this.

Now I got nice little spikes appearing here and there.

spikes.jpg