Sign in to follow this  
bmgarcangel

Swear words

Quote[/b] ]As in: soldiers swear when they are talking to each other, NOT on the radio.

That's WTF i'm talking about! for example bergoff was swearing at armstrong during training tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]That's WTF i'm talking about! for example bergoff was swearing at armstrong during training

Hmm...

Quote[/b] ]soldiers swear when they are talking to each other

Depending on what army you serve with don´t you think ?

It wouldn´t do harm to you if you actually read my posts.

Quote[/b] ]If you don´t want to be quoted, don´t post.

nice return!

How about if i say S-T...... biggrin_o.gif

I would say just make the sound system more customisable, people can add their own sounds if they want and instead of soldier 2'0 clock all the US soldiers would be yelling

"Damn, DAMN , Hey guys, Damn! I think that there be a raghead, DAMN, Hey would ya look at that, i'm gonna get me a raghead!!!! COME ON GUYS"

*Only after they all have a few shots do they find the white flag*

Ok generally people might swear under their breath but only real idiots will yell out explicits as it serves no purpose. If i get shot at i'm going to be too busy trying to get away than actually bothering swearing at the enemy, they have their job to do.

I have yet to test that in a war though and i really don't want to.

Another fine example of the professionalism of US soldiers -

http://oregonstate.edu/~voilsb/media/Afghanistan.mpg

Does the swearing serve any purpose? No.

However when he refers to the equipment as 'shit' it basically shows he has more important stuff to think about and a mortar attack to watch.

I think there could be a small ambient aspect to having limited explicits in OFP, like soldiers grumbling to each other about the weather, or their boots or their kit etc.

Quote[/b] ]How about if i say S-T......

Even a smily behind it won´t save you from obeying the forum rules.

I don't have a problem with swearing, as long as it is not overused. If you have a battallion over the hill saying F this and F that, it's crap. (Although the first time you see an entire battalion swearing would be pretty funny biggrin_o.gif)

But in the heat of a battle and I have to tell a private to get his ass on the move, I don't see the harm.

I'd moreso like to see the catchy phrases from the DI's biggrin_o.gif

the fact that those swear words were overlooked on this thread will show you that ofp got it right.... althpugh damn is most deffinatly (in modern society here in uk) considered swearing (minus in religous groups) - blasphomy isnt that frowned apon anymore

we stopped using those words along time ago because they are so old fashioned. I mean the blasphomy one. But like the damn one, its considered swearing here, but it is no where near even close to serious. Fuck, bitch, slot, whore, and a few others are the ones that are considered serious swearing around here.

*Please do excuse my language wink_o.gif *

Many games have parental lock of somekind, and if it would be done that way (on/off) everyone would get it their way. Just "Injured" said on the radio with a calm voice sounds very lame.

I dont know if games get those age ratings if language/violence can be turned off, but if they do bis won't propably risk it just to include few dirty words. But on the other hand when done good it might greatly add to the atmosphere.

Ps. Got no idea how much US soldiers really swear but just watched Full Metal Jacket and that officer sure did. Alot. Wouldnt be the same movie if he had used clean language.

Many games have parental lock of somekind, and if it would be done that way (on/off) everyone would get it their way.

How many parents actually install the game for their children, and would use that option?

Answer: very few, if any. Especially so for games like Operation Flashpoint, or Half Life etc

This thread is a perfect example of why swearing shouldn't be a major feature of the game. Its decayed into a series of minor flame-wars.

Everyone knows swearing isnt big or clever, and whilst I agree that some more "flavour" should be added into the characters dialogue, I don't think that having the AI spouting cuss words every 5 minutes would do that...

Well what if the lock could be on by default or something? (tho this is a bit impossible maybe)

I totally agree with you that swearing shouldnt be a major feature, but a little bit wouldnt do any harm would it? It's not big and clever but neither is war.

Afterall swearing is a minor sin compared to killing, even if both are virtual. I thought OFP mainly as adults game anyway.

DeadMeatXM2, this is the perfect example and this game, and any other game with Mature rating should not be for people under 15 or 16, god damnit, parental control shouldn't be an issue about it. Don't you get it!! For fucks sake Quake 2 and Halflife should have never been played by me when I was younger, for christs sake it shouldn't be played be people under 14 years of age in my opinion, probably 15. BUt hell, if there is cursing in a game, its not bad, but saying over the radio, "Sure, ive been hit, god damnit, get over here and help me out sir"

DeadMeatXM2, if you were with a Marine unit with me and you were shot, would you scream to me that or would you curse because of some god aweful pain in your fuckin leg or chest

Ermm my opinion is that it should try and be as natural as possible....you can usually tell when a game or film has swearing just for the sake of it, i disagree with that, but if its kinda needed, then i am ok with it. So you probably wouldnt have a whole battalion F'n this and F'n that, but in a conversation, things like crap, shit, ass would probably be common....a guy who is shot in the leg isnt going to go "AGHHHHHH!!!! Damn! AGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!", hes going to be going "ARGGGG!!!!! SHIT! AGHHHHHHHHH!"....swear words used in moderation and in thier place, rather than some games in which every other word is "F***ing"

I must admit, this is one of the most bizarre threads I have read on this forum.

bmgarcangel, I completely disagree with you. There is absolutely NO need for swearing, this is a computer game and it is targeted at children also. I honestly can not see how swearing is going to add "realism" or a better feeling of immersion to the game.

In fact, an excessive amount of swearing is bound to alienate many audiences, especially in the US where puritan values are still abound.

It is my personal belief that people who swear constantly are either childish or very limited in their vocabulary. It may be different in a war situation, but this is not a war. It is a GAME. Look up game on www.dictionary.com if you want.

I know that excessive amounts of swearing would definitely ruin the game for me and I hope BIS agree with me on this.

By the way, this thread is not a freebie for people who think they can start swearing just to show off how childish they are. If this discussion does not remain on an appropriate level, I will be forced to close it.

Quote[/b] ]In fact, an excessive amount of swearing is bound to alienate many audiences, especially in the US where puritan values are still abound.

rock.gif I've seen a frightening number of sixth-graders cursing in school crazy_o.gif . Puritan values certainly aren't prevalent where I live (Connecticut, USA).

Quote[/b] ]There is absolutely NO need for swearing

It's a case of balancing realism with marketing the game effectively. There's no need for "F**k this, fuck t**t, blah blah blah...", but then again a soldier bleeding to death isn't going to be saying "Dear me! I appear to be leaking!". Maybe a few curses thrown in when the action gets especially intense.

Quote[/b] ]It is my personal belief that people who swear constantly are either childish or very limited in their vocabulary.

I agree, yet not all soldiers are tremendously well educated. Therefore, in the interests of the game, dialogue should be kept at a point between sophistication and a stream of obscenities.

So killing people and bloody gore with body parts flying is allowed along with nuclear explosions and killing innocent people is permitted...

But you can't swear.

Right-o.

I don't think it's a question of morallity, but more a question of being a professional...

American gunship operators swear, just get the video (warning: gory footage, people's guts being splashed over a road along with body parts flying, mild language on group radio) look it up on google. Keywords being gunship cannon shooting iraqi afgan. I'm sure you can find it.

Personally, when I saw the video, I thought of the operators to be less professional due to their cursing.

But I honestly don't care if there are no voices just subtitles in OFP2. I don't care if they use the OFP1 voices. I just want my major engine changes: Improved Physics, Multiple guns per vehicle, being able to use gunports, loading cargo into aircraft, improved AI.

So killing people and bloody gore with body parts flying is allowed along with nuclear explosions and killing innocent people is permitted...

But you can't swear.

Right-o.

"We train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow the to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it's obscene."

Sorry, couldn't resist. tounge_o.gif

I don't care much about swearing, for me is much more important to hear a lifelike conversation, I played CZ version with a bit scamped Cenega translation so I can't judge the US/EU version, but for me, the soldiers was talking like boyscouts...

BTW: This one is propably one of the longest unpinned threads here, which makes me no surprise. smile_o.gif

Wow, this thread surely soughted out the mature from the immature.

Basically, some swearing is okay in some situations. That's maturity talking.

Too much swearing is simply immature, and leaves a pungent aftertaste.

If you say that the game should include every swear word under the sun because the players are mature, then your really just immature, as you haven't taken into account ethics and moral standards.

I play this game routinely with a six year old looking on. Sometimes, he'll even sit on my lap while I teach him how to play, and he especially loves driving tanks, and knocking trees and fences down!

Some people would say that playing a game such as OFP in front of a young child is bad for the welfare of the child, due to death, guns, killing e.t.c, but this is not really an issue as he knows right from wrong, good from bad, and knows killing is bad, but on top of that, knows that death is apart of war, and since he demonstrated that, I, and more importantly our mother, have no problem with him watching on, often eager to take over the controls.

But, swearing is different. He knows swearing is wrong, but as a responsible person, one must restrict the amount of derogatory language he is exposed to, so that kids 'monkey hear, monkey say' instincts don't pick up.

A classic example of this is in the simpsons, where Maud covers Rod or Todd's ears from Moes outburst, and then the youngster repeats the forbidden word with 'Oww, my freakin ears!'. tounge_o.gif

If I can play OFP 1 in front of a five/six year old, then I'd expect to be able to do so for OFP 2.

Basically, the 'old fashioned' and restrictive level of swearing in OFP 1 was just right. It wasn't too lah-dee-dah and it wasn't in your face, pungent stuff. It was just right in order to convey the feeling of the moment.

Remember, this game was designed to to be acceptable enough to be viewed by a wide audience, which includes children. The fact of the matter is, while swearing between mature people is common. Mature people know that swearing in front of kids is wrong, and due to BIS' professionalism, they know this too. So if you were getting giddy over the prospect that more swearing would be implemented in OFPII, forget about it.

And by the way bmgarcangel.  That utter lack of respect you displayed towards Avon at the beggining of the thread was completly uncalled for. Grow up. mad_o.gif

Yay! Im mature.......hmm i think i might have just blown it with that outburst tounge_o.gif

Swearing in moderation, as i said. I think the best thing to do would be to ban the F word, and allow milder words, shit, crap (ones i feel comfortable typing here without having to write "the S word" or "S**t"), ect......the cert would probably be made 15, but hey, who ever went by the age guides (well everyone round here just got thier parents to buy stuff for em when we were that age) tounge_o.gif

"Dear me! I appear to be leaking!".

Classic!  biggrin_o.gif

I think a very, very small level of actual swearing should be in OFPII. Around here, especially during the football (gridiron or whatever you guys call it over there) season, me and the guys I know try not to always deliberately swear. Instead of going on a tanget of swearing, we'll say things like "Aww piss", and "frikin hell". Things like this to replace swears are often heard, but I'm not sure how offensive they may be in other places of the country/world.

Erm, I think you are on the wrong forum mate.

This is Operation Flashpoint, not Soldier of Fortune.

wink_o.gif