Sign in to follow this  
dm

The "community"

Quote[/b] ]I couldn't agree more it's a game not a religion!

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>BLASPHEMY!!!</span>

Quote[/b] ]Closed until further notice.

Damn tounge_o.gif .

3) Understanding of the game engine. Not knowing what the limits are ...

...And it saddens me to realise that people have left the community because of other peoples petty and selfish behaviour (Martin for instance) or because some people have some inbuilt inability to give credit/ask permission where it’s needed (like Marfy’s Hummers)...

...Why not make this the first truly FRIENDLY internet community, where all the posts are structured and thought about...

...What does it take to put a little thought into what you post? You wouldn’t treat your friends or your parents like that, so why treat others like it?...

To 3) and first quote: Perhaps not forbidding/obstructing the opening of YOUR teams addons make it hard for other addon makers to reproduce your quality. It isn't made clear enough where the engine limit is, it isn't displayed by enough many addon makers. Some think you are always at the brink of finding out a new feature and ask you first. That isn't even the case.

Second quote: Hehe, yea. Minimum message lenght biggrin_o.gif Nah, you simply don't find anyone new here over 17 who is instantly accustomed to what has happened throughout the history of the game. Like Outtis there. J/K

Third quote: I do treat all of my "RL" friends differently than OFP friends, but so do I treat my OFP friends differently when met face to face. It is the habit of writing behind the Nick. It is the bad net etiquette, it is the post count, it is the net.

I owe many thanx to the addon makers , I also know how long it takes , i get forgotten often and I know how that feels too.

I can't help not remark that Deadmeat started a cheerup topic,lol

So be happy and make addons

I think the point here is not that addonmakers want more praise for their addons but that it's hard to keep the joy about making addons while you read posts in the forums that allmost explode from a negative mood.

There are allways two ways of criticizing someones work.

I agree with the theme of the thread, but I think Poet put it very well (probably why he's a poet ;)).

When you're dealing with human nature you get the good and the bad, that's life, no matter how unpleasant or wrong the negative element of the community can be at times there's nothing that's going to change, the appreciative will appreciate you, the unappreciative won't.

All you can do if you want to do what you do is carry on doing what you do and do it as well as you can and ignore those who put you down, applies to real life and Opf life just the same smile_o.gif

I love this Game and the Community for one reason. Diversity.

If I don’t wasn’t to play with the CSLA stuff I wont. If I want to ignore a 12 year olds stupid post then I will.

It doesn’t mean that I have no respect for the ppl who made the stuff I have no interest in.

I was in the army for ten years. When I pick up a SA80 in game made by PUKF jump into a Rover and look at my nice DPM Combats part of me is taken back. That’s why I play and that’s why I love the community. So we can spread that feeling to others.

When PUKF releases, sure someone will say “that’s wrongâ€, “that’s shitâ€, etc.

Do I care?

Do I F###.

I will bite no doubt. We all have good days and bad. If we (as in mature ppl) thought and pondered every word we posted then nothing would be posted. I have posted before to get a rise and will again. However if I talk about something be sure I know what I am talking about. If not I will ask.

The idea is to change the bad into the good because then you don't have to cope with the bad anymore (or maybe just a bit less).

That's what this thread is about.

You wont be able to please everyone, there will always be whiners and complainers. If they don't like what you make then they can play with something else. Some addon makers need a thicker skin when dealing with critics. If i stopped making missions the first time someone didnt like one of my early missions (which kinda sucked anyway) i wouldnt have learned to make better missions, now if someone rags about a mission i made i just fob them off and go on my way.

There are many threads just like this one but the whining wont ever stop so you have to get used to it.

I have had my hands in a lot of addons over the last couple of years, and not one of them has been spared unwarrented criticism, comments made by posters without a clue about the RL aspects of the addon (Seals never wore duckhunter cammo in Nam wink_o.gif ), and your basic whining.

I've given knee jerks comebacks, well thought out and well written retorts and I've even ignored most. All I can say is, it's not worth it to worry about it. For a while I was too wrapped up in what was written about the things I've worked on and the dumbass comments people made. There has always been good criticism on the part of many people, but the idiots just drain you if you worry about it. I pretty much stopped making anything except my own personal work due to all this. That way I KNOW I'm doing it right, I'm working the way I want, I'll release things IF i feel like it, and even then just release things to people I KNOW will use it as intended and just enjoy it for what it is, and even if people bitch... who cares, I'm making it for myself. No reason to bother with all the hassle anymore... not worth the headache. If you make addons, don't do it for any other reason other than making them for your own enjoyment. If you try and make what the "community" wants, or try to appease their every whim, you'll just be frustrated.

My 2 cents

Thats exactly my point Rom.

Like I said at the beginning, this isnt about showering the Addon makers with praise, but removing/preventing the comments like: "I personally can't stand BAS Rangers. Their Deltas are fine, but the Rangers look almost exactly like the Deltas and it seems to save time, BAS simply threw their Delta weapons into the Rangers and expected them to do." or "i can probably make better sounds with my mouth" etc...

We [bAS] actually WELCOME structured, well thought out, checked bug reports (things like a geo error where the problem can be recreated, not "I cant get them to fastrope, it must be broken")

@Winters, whilst the sentiment is good, your skin can only get so thick... IIRC every BAS release has met "flak" from the users, whether it be because "the sound sucks" or "its crap because I doesnt work" (especially whn they havent read the manual) it becomes degrading... Somewhat like stress positions and water-tourture. You can only take so much for so long before its unbearable.

What my point is here, is kids as they may be, where have the manners gone? Don't people have any standards anymore?

I'll release things IF i feel like it, and even then just release things to people I KNOW will use it as intended and just enjoy it for what it is, and even if people bitch... who cares, I'm making it for myself.  No reason to bother with all the hassle anymore... not worth the headache. If you make addons, don't do it for any other reason other than making them for your own enjoyment.

Thats the other part of my point ( crazy_o.gif )

Somewhere along the lines, wires have got crossed, and some people EXPECT that we make addons for them, as they please.

I know for a fact, I started making addons for myself because no-one else would make a Huey with a minigun (damn how I argued for that to be in the Nam Pack back on the old OFPEC forums biggrin_o.gif ) From there it grew, and now I make stuff with/for BAS.

The thing is, if you make addons for your pleasure, and are greatful enough to let the general public use them, WHY should you have to put up with the whiners?

I think its a little unfair the amount of flak ALL addon makers get (hence this topic) for being kind and generous enough to allow people to use their work, and all any of "us" recieve in turn is "how point x sucks, point y needs changing and point z is 'totally' unrealistic"

Is that fair?

I once took 4 hours to make an untextured "cube" in oxigen...thats as far as my modeling skills go biggrin_o.gif , so...if anyone makes better than that and releases it to the OFP community he\she got all my respect (even if i think its not my cup of tea)

Somewhere along the lines, wires have got crossed, and some people EXPECT that we make addons for them, as they please.

True, it has become an addiction. Both for addonmakers and for end users.

The thing is, if you make addons for your pleasure, and are greatful enough to let the general public use them, WHY should you have to put up with the whiners?

Because they will always be there. NOTHING anyone can do about that. I learned my lesson about that. People will always complain, there will always be bugs or ways things could have been done better. Mostly it's ignorance on end users parts about the limitations of the engine and the compromises made to work around it. People will complain if an island lags, yet others would complain if it didn't have enough objects in it or hi res textures everywhere. Only the people who actually make addons can see the work put into an addon or mod.

I think its a little unfair the amount of flak ALL addon makers get (hence this topic) for being kind and generous enough to allow people to use their work, and all any of "us" recieve in turn is "how point x sucks, point y needs changing and point z is 'totally' unrealistic"

Is that fair?

No, lifes not fair. The "core" community here is actually not that big. The people who post only make up a very small percentage of that. Mostly people just download an addon and enjoy it for a while. A small majority write their views and critiques on it. A very small percentage complain or tear it apart just to complain. The vocal minority do not really represent the actual numbers of people who have DL'd the addon and enjoyed it.

Face it, people will always be around wanting more, or not really appreciating the amount of work it takes to make this stuff. Compared to most games, this one has the most amount of addons I've ever seen, and most people appreciate that even if they don't pour praise on every addon or every addon maker.

reply in the quote.

Quote[/b] ]"i can probably make better sounds with my mouth"

To put it politely, some of the weapons in the Delta/Ranger pack do have a kind of "Blat" sound effect tounge_o.gif . The M4s especially come to mind wink_o.gif .

Is that fair?

Yes and no.

First lemme start off by saying if it wasnt for the addonmakers OFP would be dead ! For 1 year now at least !

What keeps me playing OFP, thats the new stuff coming out every single week.  Also changes like GMR ECP etc made a huge difference in the experience we call OFP.

About the thing this thread is about.

I think you will always have critisism, some people know how to give it the right way, some say exact the same thing but forget to include some tact in their post.  But mainly i think people mean well when they give critisism.

OFP forum is about the only forum i POST in, not much, but i do. Compared to the other forums this is a very very grown up forum and a very well moderated one too if i may say so.

By releasing addons to the public you also put yourself open for comments.  Those comments will come every time you release an addon and that s not gonna change. If you take a BIS model ( just pick one ) people will find loads of flaws in them too ( i m not saying any bas or fdf or csla addon is full of flaws ! ) but when people are excited about an addon there will be people ( yep, mostly the same ) who will turn that addon inside out ! and find a flaw and post that flaw.

I think that addonmakers who release one thingy dont get bothered by this that much, but i can imagine a big addon team who releases alot of stuff will eventually grow tired of the "constructive" comments about their addons.  It s just a story of sucking up the comments and then ( like in your case maybe ) that last drop ... i think we all know we lost a few talented addonmakers due to this fact just recently.

So my point, on the one hand i know what you mean, but on the other hand ... you re releasing to the public ... so comments will always come.

Maybe you guys should look in the photography thread more ... i mean, why would people post pics with the same units over and over again when they are crap ? ... think about it.

Most addonmakers are considered heros ! They are in my book.  They made this game best value for money for me !

And i can imagine what they did for BIS's profits, c'mon, how long is this game running now.  I still convert infidels to OFP regularly by just showing them the photography thread with all you guy's lovely addons !

Isn t that enough to flush away all the negative reactions ?

One last note ... why is this topic about "the community" ... no need to drag us all in i feel.

Cheers and brilliant work the last few years !

I will have all your babies.

haha, a complaint about addons in a thread about addon complaints. I'll be laughing to myself all day now. You just made my day tounge_o.gif

I totally agree with the topic. But thing is, you must realise that these people (the whiners and noobs) are playing a game to do with war and violence...of course most of them will have an agressive attitude. They want to make themselves a bigshot on the internet because they can't achieve it in real life. People will always be like that...it's pretty much human nature.

But when I get a complaint such as "this is teh sux", I ignore it.You gotta learn to sweep it off. It's just a kid or a moron on his computer making the internet shittier as they are able to. I've been reading the ofp.info comments section a lot, and I am just shocked by what I've seen the past year.

If theres 3 things I hate in addon feedback, it's these:

1. The usual...idiot poking fun at the addonmakers' long, hard labour.

2. The addonmaker going insane when the slightest bit of critisism or negative feedback is given.

3. The players sucking up to the addonmaker every time with no feedback. e.g. "BLOODY GREAT ADDON!!! GOOD WORK, THIS IS THE BEST!!!"

However again, you just gotta learn to shrug it off whenever possible. If it hadn't happened so frequently, it would be slightly amusing. After all, it's just a moron. They don't deserve any sort of reply, except: "Piss off."

Remember; they are below. They're sub-animals. They deserve nothing.

If we ever do something about it, it'll be major moderation of the OFP sites, cleaning out all the shitty idiots that have plagued them. Although we have seen that it ain't happening much; e.g. ofp.gamezone.cz comment section.

+Å0.02 smile_o.gif

You know, rarely do I see a community as mature as the OFP one, and I have never seen modmakers complain as much as some BAS members in any other community.

Just my observation, make of it what you will. rock.gif

And as for the different whiners, this is the Internet. The people who make stupid remarks are 90% likely to be those who wouldn't have the energy or intelligence of reading through your post, Deadmeat, so don't be surprised if you don't put a stop to it by this.

My advice: Quit whining about the whining and ignore it. From what I've seen, thousands of modmakers throughout the Internet manage to do it. rock.gif

To put it politely, some of the weapons in the Delta/Ranger pack do have a kind of "Blat" sound effect tounge_o.gif . The M4s especially come to mind wink_o.gif .

I don't believe it. You just CAN'T stop can you!!

You've posted a complaint about an addon, in a thread complaining about the complaints!! crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

What is up with you people!!

(This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about...)

Edit: About the people saying "just ignore it"

I have been for the past 2 years, being the "front(ish)" man at BAS, I've been responsible for the posting of addon releases onto this forum (check the threads, most are by me) and I feel that once you've started something you don't give up. One thing we do do at BAS is to make sure our information (and hence our addons) are as realistic as possible. This means that we spend hours and hours trawling through the internet looking for pictures and information (often junk) as well as books and magazines to make sure our addons are as real-to-life as possible. When some punk ass kid posts "this is wrong, irl they use that" I find it very hard not to correct him/her/it on their innacuracy, which would inevitably lead to other posts on the subject.

Hell, everytime someone even MENTIONS the word SEAL, I end up with dozens of emails asking where they can be downloaded from etc. So I take it upon me to stop these rumours as fast as they spring up to save me the effort later on.

Having been "shrugging it off" for nearly 2 years, I begin to wonder why is it worth it? But every time I move away from OFP I find myself inexplicably drawn back to it, and cant let go.

Somewhat like Ghandi, all I want is better conditions for me and my fellow addon makers, WITHOUT having any shit to shrug off...

(Maybe I am whining on and ON about it, but maybe its because I'm a "kid" too...)

Well, this is a thread that complains about the people who complain about the people complaining.....oh no, i just gave myself a headache crazy_o.gif

I don't believe it. You just CAN'T stop can you!!

You've posted a complaint about an addon, in a thread complaining about the complaints!! crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

What is up with you people!!

(This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about...)

You're an easy target, ya know that, DM? sad_o.gifwink_o.gif

When will this chap stop making stupid jokes?? mad_o.gif

For all the time wasted on this thread, some of you could've added a rear tail light onto an addon being worked on.

See my edited post on the previous page