Sign in to follow this  
Radnik

Söldner : secret wars

I got it, it just wasn't funny. tounge_o.gif

So whom is going to be the forum guinea pig and take the plunge and try out Soldner for the rest of us?

I did have high hopes for this game, as it is made by the same people who created Panzer Elite, the only WW2 tank sim worth a damn. I kind of get the feeling that they made Soldner specifically to create funding for Panzer Elite 2, as that is their true passion and they figured they could cash in on the engine they developed for it (same engine as Soldner) by selling an arcade game to all the kiddies.

Panzer Elite 2?

?

Those faces are atleast from Söldner...

I am buying soldner, as already stated twice, I will be your "ginea pig" if that is what you wish. Of course it will be rejeceted like all games because it isn't flashpoint.

I am buying soldner, as already stated twice, I will be your "ginea pig" if that is what you wish. Of course it will be rejeceted like all games because it isn't flashpoint.

No, because it's boring, unrealistic and silly. IMHO wink_o.gif

What do you mean "like all games"? IL-2, Lo-Mac, Silent Storm, Combat Mission, to name a few have all been pretty popular around here. rock.gif

Panzer Elite, the only WW2 tank sim worth a damn.

Ahh that was truly a good game, i wouldn´t mind if they make sequel to it...hope so.

What do you mean "like all games"? IL-2, Lo-Mac, Silent Storm, Combat Mission, to name a few have all been pretty popular around here. rock.gif

What the slightly disturbing looking Finn said.

@ May 29 2004,05:49)]

What the slightly disturbing looking Finn said.

goldfishava.jpg

Let it suck you in...

Nah, I know you meant this one, and that was the look I was going for anyway, or maybe the photographer was catching me at 5 in the morning.

rlavatar.gif

off for the weekend to stop OT now...

Nah, that is not true that we attack all games besides OFP. I was a hard defender of Sacred, of MOHAA, of SOF2, of RTCW, of FarCry and even NWO. And all those games were discussed here. Still, I didnt like Söldner. I tried the demo and it was dissapointing. For me mostly because of the graphics. They had 3 years time to build an engine that creates better maps than OFP, but they just didnt succeed. The maps and terrain architecture is too basic, too un-pretty!

And games like IL2 had often more people defending it than OFP!

bought it.

Buggiest game, ever.

Will write more when I get back from returning it!

Yeah, the thing seemed even slower than the beta. crazy_o.gif

And all singleplayer missions are boring illogical generated crap apparently. sad_o.gif

Graphics are poooor

look at the demo- they don't get any better in the full game!

'Dynamic campaign' is nothing more than a bunch of randomly generated missions for poor reward

(IE lose a tank/whirlybird rescuing a hostage get ONE... WHOLE... RIFLE)

Customised textures are a good idea, but make for poor quality texturing on models

No interior views on any vehicles, no first person on vehicles, camera not fixed making driving... interesting

AI is hideously bad.

Footsoldiers

"Run towards player firing"

"Stand still firing at player out in open"

"Run towards tank praying"

Tank AI

"Drive full speed towards player tank."

Thats it.

I bought it as well. I'm really not impressed and it has nothing to do with me being an OFP fan.

First thing, The physics are extremely poor. The vehicles feel like they don't have any weight at all. The IFV's and Tanks can turn on a dime at full speed. You can do a complete 180 turn in a spilt second without sliding. They also gain full speed way too fast. I'm talking Zero to Flat Out in about 3 seconds. Just an example of the physics. I took my M1 Abrams out for a spin. I thought I'd blow up some stuff. The blowing up of buildings was nice as was the craters I was able to blow in the ground. I then went to knock down some trees. I ran into a tree, a small tree at that. My tank was hung up on the tree after it feel down. This tiny tree was holding my tank in the air as if I drove it up a ramp. I tried to move the tank but it wouldn't move. After about 10 seconds my tank just blew up.

The AI in the game is virtually nonexistent. Even the bots in Battlefield are better. A LOT better. However, I can over look that as it was designed as a pure MP game anyway. The graphics are poor for a newer game but then graphics aren't everything. The game does look exactly like the demo. The full game doesn't have anything else to offer over the demo other than more weapons and vehicles. It feels, plays, and looks just like the demo. So if you didn't like the demo then don't bother with the full version.

Soldner (I can't do that funny little dot thing) is like a budget Battlefield series game. I never thought I'd praise BF1942/ BF:V but I would highly recommend those games over Soldner. If your looking for a modern combat game like Soldner then wait until Battlefield 2 comes out. If you can't wait that long then download the BF1942 Desert Combat mod or play BF:V. Battlefield is far superior. I took my copy of Soldner back and traded it in for UT2004 so I could play the Red Orchestra mod. Not sure if that mod has been discussed but I would recommend any OFP player that likes WWII foot soldier combat to take a look at this MP mod. It's excellent

http://redorchestramod.gameservers.net/

I bought it as well. I'm really not impressed and it has nothing to do with me being an OFP fan.

First thing, The physics are extremely poor. The vehicles feel like they don't have any weight at all. The IFV's and Tanks can turn on a dime at full speed. You can do a complete 180 turn in a spilt second without sliding. They also gain full speed way too fast. I'm talking Zero to Flat Out in about 3 seconds. Just an example of the physics. I took my M1 Abrams out for a spin. I thought I'd blow up some stuff. The blowing up of buildings was nice as was the craters I was able to blow in the ground. I then went to knock down some trees. I ran into a tree, a small tree at that. My tank was hung up on the tree after it feel down. This tiny tree was holding my tank in the air as if I drove it up a ramp. I tried to move the tank but it wouldn't move. After about 10 seconds my tank just blew up.

The AI in the game is virtually nonexistent. Even the bots in Battlefield are better. A LOT better.  However, I can over look that as it was designed as a pure MP game anyway. The graphics are poor for a newer game but then graphics aren't everything. The game does look exactly like the demo. The full game doesn't have anything else to offer over the demo other than more weapons and vehicles. It feels, plays, and looks just like the demo. So if you didn't like the demo then don't bother with the full version.

Soldner (I can't do that funny little dot thing) is like a budget Battlefield series game. I never thought I'd praise BF1942/ BF:V but I would highly recommend those games over Soldner. If your looking for a modern combat game like Soldner then wait until Battlefield 2 comes out. If you can't wait that long then download the BF1942 Desert Combat mod or play BF:V. Battlefield is far superior. I took my copy of Soldner back and traded it in for UT2004 so I could play the Red Orchestra mod. Not sure if that mod has been discussed but I would recommend any OFP player that likes WWII foot soldier combat to take a look at this MP mod. It's excellent

http://redorchestramod.gameservers.net/

I have the full game aswell, at least i did.

I completely agree.

Besides the damaged buildings there is absolutely NOTHING to say that is even remotely average on this game.

It s utter crap and a total waste of money.

And i m not saying that either cause i m into ofp.

It s best described as OFP CTI with much worse gfx, buggy gameplay, no AI.  If you play CTI with addons that s 1000X better then Soldner imo.

Ah, the iron sights are really good lol  crazy_o.gif

Installed it and gave it 3 go's, but i really cant like it even a little bit.

I just ran inbetween 5 abrams tanks, 2 humvee's with MG and a Bradley ... hopped into an empty abrams right in the middle of those enemy units and killed them all without even being fired on ... now that s AI quality.

I can stop an abrams tank at full speed faster then a racecar ( it just stops instantly ), you think ofp units jump alot .... try soldner. The abrams' MG goes further then the sabot rounds ... when you want to hit a target with sabot 200m away you have to elevate the barrel almost 20degrees or more ...

I think the only game shortly that will be better then ofp is ofp2, and that s not a bad thing smile_o.gif

Maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R for SP ... now that s also a game i m waiting for badly !

Verdict : CRAP .... next wannabe ofp beater plz ...

tounge_o.gif

IIRC there's a regular from here who was a beta tester, would be interesting hearing comments from him about how the game has turned out.....

I also have it. And it has iw a reall disapontment sad_o.gif

Ai is pathetic, tanks do not fire but try to run you over. Joining online takes to long. The list can go on and on.

Those poor fans who thought this game was going to answer all the dreams.

This game was not a dream game for anyone unless they were a counterstrike... (insert vulgar epithet here). I knew from the start this was an arcade'y heap of binary garbage. However it did teach a few lessons about game design and how interesting features can't carry a poorly made game.

Well, I got my hands on Soldner, I know it's supposed to ship this month (june) on the 22nd In north america (Take that information as you will, I had no part in procuring it save for it essentially being dropped in my lap by an acquaintance, chastizing me for sating my curiousity is hypocritical in my opinion), and decided to give it a shot.

I had previously tried the beta at the insistence of an acquaintance, to be open minded. My first impression before even playing it was that it was some kind of lame cross between BF 1942 and counterstrike.

All I can say is... I hate being right.

I installed the program, everything went along fine until I actually tried to run the game. First of all the game took about five minutes to load. Perhaps more like eight. Not unlike the Soldner beta I played. 3/4ths the way through the loading on at the splash screen an unenthusiastic voice absurdly declared the title of the game, "Zoldner".

After which some ridiculously grandiose orchestral soundtrack started blaring, all whilst apparently nothing was happening on the splash screen while the game finished loading.

After the game loaded I was hit with my first taste of lag. In the gui. The game would run fine for a moment until rocked by a nasty stutter when the avatar on the left side of the screen turned his head. I promtly set out to scale down the visuals which... set to their default (for my machine?) weren't impressive at all. They're about on par with IGI: 2 to be perfectly honest. Nothing I'd say that would merit such dismal performance on my machine. (Shoddy programming? I'd like to think so)

After scaling back the visual options I saw a very marginal improvment in performance. I knew right from the get go that this wasn't going to cut the mustard in terms of actually enjoying the game from a subjective standpoint. So I thought I'd press forward and see if the game would be worth playing had there been less lag.

The game was... in my opinion. A good interactive lesson on what the next breed of military games should have. Also how to not make a horrendously shitty game.

In my opinion the cons of this game far outweighed the good interesting features. These features were interesting gimmicks that would enhance an already good game (OFP) however often were maligned so badly by a poor execution that you could only speculate how well they would improve your gaming experience if they were done right.

For example. Character customization.

The character customization is a great feature. Too bad your apprearance accounts for fuck all in the actual game. And I really dislike the fact that a man wearing a boonie hat and flannel shirt and jeans (aka: My avatar of choice) took as many bullets to kill as someone wearing attire you'd think would be more... bullet resistant you might say?

Another was interaction with the landscape. You could knock trees not just down... but uproot them only to watch them bounce and roll on the ground when they were shot or run over. Say what you want. OFP did this far better even though it might not be as realistic as... say real life. Soldner's version was just ridiculous. Entertaining, albeit ridiculous.

The way buildings sustained damage was an honest to goodness decent feature in Soldner that I appreciated, however it's not like Red Faction where you could just take chunks out of it. It would actually switch to a predefined damage model for that section of building. Still an overall decent feature nevertheless. It made for a lot more interesting fights when you couldn't just annihilate anyone inside a building with a LAW or RPG without visibly damaging a building.

However. Again Soldner fails on the CQB front by adding... oh... THIS!

Yeah. That's a BRDM inside a building! Don't ask me how the hell it got there! It drove back and forth in that little hallway trying to hit me so I blew a hole in the side of the building with grenades and then tossed some more inside it as it drove back and forth, repeatedly!

That's another thing. The AI is possibly the most wacky and stupid AI I've -ever- seen in a game. Sometimes after shooting at them, a person will just walk around or if in an enclosed compound (such as a farmer's fence or chain link). They'll run into the fence and walk back and forth. Easy kills!..

The driving AI is more hazardous to the enemy than it is you... I played one mission in which you must blow up a fuel tank and a Humvee came screaming towards me and drove around me trying to hit me... throwing missiles hither and yon. Then I bolted for a house on the other side of the tank and it drove around some more whilst the AI soldiers zigzagged backwards while I viewed them from a window inside the house... finally the Humvee decided to do me a favor and crash into the fuel truck at mach 10 and catch fire and blow up... thus killing my mission objective. Yay.

That's another thing. I destroyed a dune buggy with some kind of mounted machinegun with only half a clip of 5.56mm fired from an M4... It caught fire and blew up too. What's up with that?

Vehicles have shitty physics and controls. The trucks tend to drive like they're glued to the ground however watch out... if you turn too quickly while driving fast you'll end up doing a high speed loop in the grass or dirt... Or if you actually do catch air off a jump and say your back or front wheels catch the lip of an incline... it'll spin out too.

Another thing. You can't even drive in the first person. Instead you must rely solely on your keys and your mouse is used to reposition your view as you drive. If you don't you can turn and your view will still remain at the same angle... again. Rather annoying.

Another thing that really just puts me right off any actual enjoyment of the game is the usage of the expanding ring system for dispersion. It's a horribly flawed system and I have serious trouble enjoying any game because ofttimes the performance of the weapons either defies logic or is horribly exaggerated. Such as using the m60e3 whilst standing. I've not fired an m60e3. However I've seen plenty of video of them used at www.gulfcoastarmory.com when they had their video section.

In Soldner. Your bullets literally fly in every conceivable angle even flying sharply downwards at your feet when fired from a standing position... it's insulting to my sense of logic. It's stupid. I won't enjoy it. I refuse. That's another thing. The sound is quite possibly the shittiest for any FPS I've ever encountered. The pinnacle of this lameness was exhibited when I attempted to "jump". This jump essentially involves your guy propelling himself up at a 45 degree angle for a few feet and then stopping mid air then falling and hovering for a second before his legs straighten out and he lands with a feeble-sounding "Ehhh!". Not only shouldn't jumping even be added. However with the climbing animations they made for fences already. It's completely extraneous. Another bone they threw to the counterstrike... (insert derisive epithet here) ahh nevermind.

Furthermore. It seems like their bullet physics is virtually nonexistant. If you had a PSG or a *cough* AWM. You could virtually shoot anyone from any distance so long as you could see them and the bullet wouldn't drop. So really there wasn't any challenge in that.

I did like the idea behind the helicopter flight system in Soldner mainly because they were hard to handle. Lag prevented me from competently flying them, but I'm sick of seeing "FFAR snipers" in OFP. So seeing a slightly more complicated model for OFP2 would be nice.

The thermal goggles were honestly a cool feature too. I'm so sick of games that "simulate" thermal goggles by just switching textures. It looked like they actually tried to simulate it to an extent with some form of realtime graphics. That was impressive and I'm a sucker for a good thermograph simulation. Does this save the game? Hell no.

There was a whole laundry list of other things I disliked about Soldner, but one thing I mentioned in another thread was the mission system. Basically you took individual missions and you had a persistent inventory you carried with you that could be invoked from various stations while you were in a mission area, this would fluctuate and change from mission to mission depending on your successes or failures. That was another good feature I wish OFP had something akin to.

Story based campaigns are fine and dandy, but I'd rather have just random unrelated missions on which had some kind of personal cohesion by means of inventory and statistics. So I wasn't dragged along but could choose my own battles and scenarios with each mission affecting the potential to accomplish the next.

Good review, it is sadley true. I don't understand how this Development studio could release such crap, the flaws are so OBVIOUS that even Helen Keller could tell that this game is shit.

I recently tried Soldner and I wasn't impressed,OFP has me so spoiled

I recently tried Soldner and I wasn't impressed,OFP has me so spoiled

thats would be another sad truth, OFP just screw up all my feeling about what a "Good" military sim. really is biggrin_o.gif

I had great hopes for this game as an OFP replacement is long overdue. So as soon as I finished the exams I went out and bought it and I now feel cheated. It is quite rubbish, everything the others said and more. I feels more like a set of tools or an unfinished game rushed in before the competitors.

And there is something wrong with the distances too. The waypoint markers show at least twice the actual distance.

Shame on you for thinking anything could replace OFP...

*tsk* wink_o.gif

I found this review of Soldner yesterday. I will make note that including myself and the person who gave me the opportunity to play the game, this is the third similar review of the game.

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHA... AAAHAAHAAHAAHAAA

Yeah. Nothing beats OFP. Period.

Then again I still don't understand why people seem to think that game was going to be so great. The screenshots just bellowed "counterstrike influence".

SOUNDS LIKE ITS REALLY GOOD! tounge_o.gif

"Soldner - How Disappointing!

Today I went out and bought Soldner - I wish I hadnt bothered. I played a little of the beta version when it was released a few weeks back and thought that it needed a bit of work... little did I know that I would be paying for virtually the same version a couple of weeks down the line.

first of all I tried to install from the CD and it kept starting up the USBETA version. So after I uninstalled the beta, I tried again - up comes a message with 'please see your control panel to set up Soldner'... eh? Whats all that about. A quick browse on the CD eventual reveals the 'install' program which I hastily install.

After it finally loads I start to make my character. So where are these alleged 60,000 different profiles? I counted under 50 .... thats about 10 types of jackets, 10 types of trousers, 5 sunglasses, 10 shoes and some backpack and gloves. Oh yes, you can fiddle about with the colours of the camo - but come on - 60,000 combinations is rubbish.

So onto the game. I load it up thinking that perhaps Im in line for a small tutorial - oh no - I just get plonked into the game and told nothing. So I eventually go over to one of the weapons dumps and pick out a few guns. I go to the command module and pick a mission. Several minutes later I arrive at my destination (rescue a hostage mission). I creep up to the base thinking ' I must be quiet and keep out of view as the ai soldiers will probably spot me and theyre bound to be good. Oh yeah... what a joke. First thing I see is a guy sitting in a jeep inside the compound. I try shooting at him (hard to do with the framerate - even though Im running a 2.6 gig CPU with a Gforce 4 the game suffers from huge lag - my computer spec is above the recommended spec on the box).

The next thing I know, the guy in the jeep backs up and tries to enter the building (in his jeep) through the front door! Then an armoured Humvee (I think that was what it was supposed to be) comes out and tries to knock down the chainlink fence - more ai capers as it actually climbs up over the fence rather than through it and then slowly comes my way - zig zagging all the way up the hill to my position. Next thing I know is the thing runs me over, but im still alive? not even damaged?

The sound leaves a lot to be desired, all I can hear is me walking and breathing - no atmospheric rain (even when its tipping it down) or birds singing or trees rustling - nothing!

What a big disappointment - what did these guys do for the four years they were making Soldner??? beats me.

The only good thing in all this is that the shop where I bought it from does a 10 day take back on games. Heed the warning - leave well alone!

This game is at least 4 months away from a proper release I would guess, its not finished by any means. I would advise people here to wait for a bug free version because you will just waste your money and get frustrated with the current version that has been released.

I bet this thread doesnt last long."

- UNHAPPY CUSTOMER

Quote[/b] ]The sound leaves a lot to be desired, all I can hear is me walking and breathing - no atmospheric rain (even when its tipping it down) or birds singing or trees rustling - nothing!

Oh come on now! You can't tell me you feel like a manly soldier of fortune when your player makes that pathetic grunting noise after he lands from a jump.

"Ennngh!"

biggrin_o.gif

If youll remember ofp had a few problems at its start such as the urals flying sky high when hit with missiles. Ya soldner needs some ironing out but it has a lot of potential.  They have just released some major patches that seriously upgrade the game and have more on the way.  Personaly I bought the game for the multiplayer part of it which surpases ofp in many was, thank god for join in progress  smile_o.gif . So dont be too hasty to put down this game quite yet. The multiplayer rocks! I luv it and if you can get past the short cummings untill they are patched you will love soldner too.

oh and as for many of the problems metioned on the previous pages most of them have already been fixed, at least for the retail version. The tanks no longer stop on a dime ramp off trees or accelerate to fast, and the hit points have been improved. Shoot a guy with a rifle in the main body and youll drop him, and you cant destroy armoured vehichles with small arms. Though one thing most of you wont like is the fact that bullets dont have an arch but go strait. RPGs and tank shells do however. This game is very much improved from the first demos. Many other problems like these are fixed and like I said before there will be more patches.

I dont really think its fair to condem the game based only on the demo. It has barley been released!

Goo in MP you say.

How's the coop?

Oh wait! The game does'nt even have coop or does it? wink_o.gif

And if it had, the "AI" has no "I" anyway.

The next OFP-game will be OFP2 I'm afraid smile_o.gif

Soldner does'nt stand a chance