Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

New island in progress

Its the size of everon and its about 75% filled with land...I sincerly doubt it will not lag considering the fact that nogova has over 150000 objects, has WAY more complex terrain, has very high poly buildings (the 8 story apartment is 4000 polys, compared to 600 polys max for an enterable building on my island), has tons and tons of forests and individually placed trees, etc, and doesnt lag. Trust me if it can run without lag on my computer it won't lag for anyone else. wink_o.gif

I have a question for you guys, what kind of country side would you guys like to see? A las vegas outskirts type desert with mountain and canyons and stuff like that or a forested type countryside with mainly forest and hills.  rock.gif I'm planning on the desert one right now, which will be more barren (thus having less lag), with a highway going through it.

Also, does anyone know what I have to put in the config of an island that is set in 64 (half of 128, which is for a 12.8 X 12.8km default island)? I keep getting ctd's when I try starting the island, and I don't know what class a smaller than default island would go. rock.gif

Yeah I'm probably going to go with the las vegas type outskirts, probably with a mountain range or two, a long winding highway going through it, etc. It just fits a setting like this a lot better, plus, gangsters in movies always dump the bodies on a barren desert highway. wink_o.gif

Wacky_Iraqi[LtC] @ May 17 2004,10:17)]I like the idea of the Las Vegas outskirts desert idea

i second that! wink_o.gif

I concure  wink_o.gif

One thing...perhaps include Major Fubars sex world in the island too! tounge_o.gif

Yeah I just got the island config working and I'll be finishing the countryside area sometime soon, probably this weekend. I'll include some kind of Area 51 type base in the desert too, and some gas stations along the road. The highway will have some overpasses and stuff like that near the cities.

cant wait to nuke this city tounge_o.gif

Anyway, whats the city and island name gonna be? rock.gif

Yeah I'm sketching possible layouts for the island...before it was really, really small so it took me a few minutes to make an island shape but now its a hell of a lot bigger and it might take me a while to draw an island shape and elevations and stuff. Just sit tight, when I make some new stuff I'll post screens of it.  smile_o.gif

The main problem I'm having is how landscape looks, ie: how shores look, realistic mountains, realistic deserts, realistic city layouts, etc. The original island IMO was lame because no one would ever make a city out of two small islands; hell, on that island I could barely have fit an airport. Plus no one builds airports near cities.  What's going to take the most time is making realistic terrain. The gta islands were always awesome because the developers went to the actual cities and took pictures for reference material, and sadly I don't have that luxury. sad_o.gif Maybe you guys can post some reference pics that I could use in making the terrain and cities, preferably of how city outskirts look (Even though I live near Toronto, I can't quite imagine how a city would "fade" into outskirts or countryside), and maybe like a roadmap of the nevada deserts with highways and stuff.

"......Plus no one builds airports near cities. ......"

Actually they do, like our regional airport here in guthrie and also Will Rogers World Airport in OKC is also in the city, ecpecially Tinker AFB right in the midsts of MidWest City

Well I've decided that I'm going to save the larger island for a different time; it will simply take way too long to complete. So for now I'll be releasing the smaller island just to showcase the city sometime within the next few months (most likely longer).

hmm, what ever happened to your project sniper? doing good? and can we get our greedy hands on a beta of it (some pics will do fine tho.....) smile_o.gif

Still working on it, now that's its the summer holidays I can spend more time on it. Check out the combat photography thread, I posted some pics there inspired by GTA: San Andreas, and they are from the island, along with some gang member characters. smile_o.gif I'm redesigning the island right now, but I kept the old version for screenshots in the combat photography thread.

hmm, what ever happened to your project sniper? doing good? and can we get our greedy hands on a beta of it (some pics will do fine tho.....) smile_o.gif

Why in god's name do you have two names? Really?

And yeah, good idea releasing the smaller city, how about cactuses for the Las Vegas type desert?

Why in god's name do you have two names?  Really?

And yeah, good idea releasing the smaller city, how about cactuses for the Las Vegas type desert?

Yeah I'll make cactuses and other plants and foliage for the desert, however I doubt that the desert will make it into this version. What I'll do is release this smaller version and make the real island with multiple cities and countryside. I have to say tho that my will to work on this has gone down a bit recently, but every time new GTA: San Andreas screens come out it motivates me to get stuff done for this island.  biggrin_o.gif

What I'm wondering is, would anyone want to help me with the terrain and city planning of the island? It's whats delaying it a lot at this point, since it's so hard to plan everything for this type of city. For normal islands, cities are really easy to make since they rarely are made to resemble a realistic city. Plus all the time I'm getting new ideas on what to make and then how to implement it. rock.gif

I might have some pictures for you tomorrow after i take a view pics and verify them with sniper so i won't spoil any surprises we are planning..... (whoops, did i say that outloud.... crazy_o.gif )

No it's not dead at all, I'm working on skyscrapers now, I have a really tall one (150 meters) with a luxury penthouse. Progress has been a bit slow but I was on vacation for a week so I couldnt work on it. Since I'm working on this alone right now I can't get stuff done that fast, but I'm still trying to get stuff done. Here are the pics:

Skyline

Still have to make a lobby for the tallest skyscraper. Edit: forgot to mention theres a carpark as well, you can see it in front of the skyscrapers.

Penthouse

Even though it doesnt look like it the top part of the skyscraper (it's divided into 3 parts) is just 600 polys, not including the proxies of the plants.

Interior of Penthouse

View from Rooftop

Nighttime roof view

I've edited the BAS lamp settings to be yellow.

I'm also planning some kind of elevator for the skyscraper with the penthouse so that the top can be accessed from the bottom.

And BTW, if I ever do decide to stop working on this project I'll upload the buildings and island and characters or pass on the project to someone else.  smile_o.gif