Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

New island in progress

Well I haven't been playing OFP for a long time now, but recently I felt like making a city island for some reason. It's gonna be kind of like vice city (no surrounding areas, just the city), and with crowded downtown areas and stuff. I've already done some of it, like textures and the shape of the island, plus the port, some buildings, and the roads. So far what I've done is the most I can do without any newly made addons, since the setting is either going to be Florida or a New York style place (still to decide). I've used all of Agent Smith's building addons but for variety a lot of new ones will have to be made.  It's the 12.8 X 12.8 size, which is pretty small, but enough. Basically what you guys can do is give me some ideas for new buildings, locations, etc. I'd post some screens but I don't have a host.  smile_o.gif

List of buildings and objects to be included:

-Restaurants

-Grocery store plaza

-Police station

-lots of new apartments and skyscrapers

-New airport buildings (terminal, multi-story carpark)

-phone booths, mailboxes, bus stops, and other small city objects

-New hospital

-New gas station

-some kind of sports stadium

-gun store

-convenience store

-bank

I'd appreciate any suggestions and additions to the list, and also I would be extremely grateful to any help to the project.

LOL

NIce man, very smooth. Hopefully ya get to the end of this little project. I don't remember though you being a wrp editor

I see you're going to use my buildings. Well, that's very kind of you, but a longer while ago I realised that some of them have to many polys to be suitable for project like this. I'm thinking of updating my buildings pack with a number of new low-poly objects especially for project like this, but I will start working on it no sooner than late February (don't have time for this atm crazy_o.gif ). I've also planned making new wide city streets with sidewalks & stuff...

Anyway, I'm happy to see somebody come up with project like this.

Are you going to put a river /s in it?

I allways wonder why all this great new terrains never have rivers crossing towns or citys, like most of towns and citys in the world. rock.gif

See if this project bring us a police station and things like that biggrin_o.gif

@CERO.

Rivers?rock.gif!?!?! IN OFP 1!!!!!

W@hat is someone replacing the old engine for ofp now so we can do that?

Don't worry Agent Smith, I'm only going to use roughly 20-30 of your buildings (including all the docks and powerplants and other buildings), plus most of them are only 150-300 polys. Most of the buildings are going to be made by me. To @cero, there is a river going down the middle of it with 2 bridges crossing it. smile_o.gif

Allso instead of making intirely new buildings dont forget that u can make some pretty gd looking buildings by placeing 2 or more, diffrent types of buildings together (like cliping into each other) and posistion it all to make it look like an intirely new building. Thers a nice example of this in the big city on Gagia island from that Wargames addon pack.

yeah the island had some pretty decent locations but some where a bit demanding tounge_o.gif

i liked the main city that had a nice mix of custom buildings and RES buildings in it + a custom runway! Thats not something you see everyday biggrin_o.gif

a custom port or maybe a airport terminal building , you know the one that the passengers can sit & relax or sweat tounge_o.gif when they wait for planes wink_o.gif

Have you tried Disciples island? It can be found on ofp.info site

its pretty cool. it uses Phil commandos mansion building and his nuke silo's and caves & a custom bridge and stuff.

the citites are good to but they aren't any major cities like gaia island in the Wg addpack biggrin_o.gif

Sounds good,

Here are my idea's listing biggrin_o.gif

- Car Showroom

- Fire Department

- City Hall

- Parks

- Shopping Mall

- Beach, with litte lifegaurd houses

- Auto repair garage

- Bars

- Construction Site biggrin_o.gif

Hey guys i have a suspension bridge which i've been working on, got a few bugs which i'm working out if ya want i can send ya an advanced copy to stick onto your map, thats if ya want it

Ok some quick questions:

What environment do you guys prefer - a New York style place (more gritty environment, like Max Payne) or a Florida style place (nicer looking buildings and environment, more tropical, beaches, etc)?

How many bridges should there be? Right now there are two separate islands, with one bridge connecting them.

Should I make thicker "double roads" to simulate a 4 lane roads? Right now the AI does have some problems navigating the streets, and I think that they would have a problem using a double road.

Right now I've done the basic shape of the island, with textures and roads done. I've done a bit of the large dock and some industrial buildings. The main problem is going to be with AI navigation through the streets, and making enough buildings so it doesn't seem repetitive.

Heres some pics of some of the stuff I've done recently:

McDonalds

Junkyard

Biker

Business Man

Cop

All of the buildings I modelled and textured myself (except the windows on the Mcdonalds, thats a Vice City texture), and the Biker, Business man, and cop are retextures of BIS models. The cop is using textures from Max Payne 2 and the other characters I textured and made textures myself.  smile_o.gif

I'm hoping the pics will work, if they don't, can someone host them for me?

Those look really great, i'm lovin it!  tounge_o.gif On the cop and the businessman, especially the latter, the collar looks more like a neck brace as it extends over where the tie should be, can you cut that part out to make it look more realistic?

How about a tropical resort type island?

Could be like Magnum PI or something... blues.gif

heres an idea, Make a ground texture that has NO grass in it (like all concrete) then you can place roads and sidewalks on it (and parkinglots) If you think about it you dont see big buildings sitting on grass. Oh yeah btw nice models I liek it a lot, it seems to be coming along very nicely.

Those look really great, i'm lovin it!  tounge_o.gif On the cop and the businessman, especially the latter, the collar looks more like a neck brace as it extends over where the tie should be, can you cut that part out to make it look more realistic?

I would do that, but remember that I'm retexturing the BIS resistance models, so I can't access them in O2. sad_o.gif I would've made a model from scratch but it's really difficult making character models.

I made a motel with a pool (pool not seen) today:

Motel

Right now I'm working on a two story motel and tomorrow I might make some generic buildings with stores.

looks great.. i like the idea.. be great if the streets would be wider than most ofp islands.. this way CQC battles are a "TAD" bit better than regular inclosed streets.