Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Is your inbox filling up with mydoom virus emails?

my own inbox hasnt received any...yet but someone else on my network has had 2, strangely enough they were posing as 2 British companies rock.gif

The only thing I received where 4-5 short info mails by my email provider's antivirus that told me from whom I would have gotten those mails if they hadn't been filtered out automatically...

I can't understand that people don't have their mail scanned automatically (if possible already on the server, before receiving them). But then, there's still people who don't upddate their resident scanners regularly (that's what automatic updates are for!) or (god beware!) who don't even have one...

I can't understand that people don't have their mail scanned automatically (if possible already on the server, before receiving them).

If NTL were a decent ISP they would do that for me, they aren't so they don't smile_o.gif

Nada. Zip. Nothing. My mail server has a protection system that is so paranoid and evil that it makes the Spanish Inquisition look like a fluffy pink bunny and it's security is as impenetrable as a pair of medieval armored underpants.

lol, the only thing I worry about with these protection systems is them blocking regular mail that you actually want to receive.

I use a spam filer that seems to have learned in its advanced ways that only messages from users in my address book ca nget through. crazy_o.gif Stupid freakin algorithms...

Nada. Zip. Nothing. My mail server has a protection system that is so paranoid and evil that it makes the Spanish Inquisition look like a fluffy pink bunny and it's security is as impenetrable as a pair of medieval armored underpants.
lol,  the only thing I worry about with these protection systems is them blocking regular mail that you actually want to receive.

What you don't see can't hurt you.   crazy_o.gif  : biggrin_o.gif

I don't want to vote "no" because the second I do I know I'll be inundated with loaded emails! wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

j/k

I haven't received any of this one at this point, at work or at home.

At home it's not a prob because I only use web based email... Safest way to do it if you don't have an antivirus program like me! biggrin_o.gif (never had one from email ever)

This one seems to be a big one though! B*strds taking all our bandwidth and causing places to lose large sums of $ with their crappy virus! mad_o.gif

Asmo

I found 31 of these heading towards only 3 inboxes this morning that came in overnight.

lol I saw about this last night and I thought that I wouldnt get any..... well I did. not many but some

with their crappy virus!   mad_o.gif

Well, if it was crap then there would be such a fuss about it now would there? wink_o.gif

None as of yet smile_o.gif

My dad's entire company got f'd over with this virus, or something like it. One person d/l'd it because they thought it was from someone they knew, the e-mail address was, but apparently that person didn't send it. Then it did a leapfrog from comp to comp, it supposedly sent itself to other computers. My brother who works at a different company got an email from a guy at where my dad works, but they didn't have each other's email addy's.

That's what my dad told me at least, as far as he understood. But he's not too into computers so that's probably only half right.

That's what my dad told me at least, as far as he understood.  But he's not too into computers so that's probably only half right.

About 90% right. smile_o.gif

It spoofs the sender's address and it can even spoof a recipients address, using generic names such as jack, tom, etc., and pending them onto a domain name from a real email address, hoping to hit additional victims.

So, I've gotten email with TO addresses of people I know, even though their email program didn't send it and people have received emails with me being listed as the sender, which isn't true.

Really. mad_o.gif

Honest! sad_o.gif

Yay, my mail server got 66 in two hours!

It blocked them all, but I've got a horrible feeling a user has brought in a infected laptop and plugged into the network, as the mail server is blocking outgoing mail as well. I'm at home today, but I'll VPN in, and deal out righteous justice. (No network access for that user)

Oooh it's hotting up, received my 3rd one, but more interestingly received my first "you tried to send a virus" type automated reply (obviously it wasn't really me who sent the virus, just for the record  biggrin_o.gif )

Quote[/b] ]

From:  Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@mailcore.pol.net.uk>  

Subject:  Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

k***n@dal***inten**ce.co.uk

This message has been rejected because it has

an apparently executable attachment "data.pif"

This is a virus prevention measure.

If you meant to send this file then please

package it up as a zip file and resend it.

If you did not send this message originally

it is likely that a virus falsely used your

address.

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <prs@ntlworld.com>

Received: from modem-144.imperator-angel.dialup.pol.co.uk ([62.137.32.144]

helo=ntlworld.com)

by mail18.svr.pol.co.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.14)

id 1Alrb9-00020Z-Uf

for k***n@dal***inten**ce.co.uk; Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:27:24 +0000

To: k***n@dal***inten**ce.co.uk

Subject: Mail Transaction Failed

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:29:29 +0000

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/mixed;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_4BA4792B.5D3FB010"

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

Message-Id: <E1Alrb9-00020Z-Uf.2004-01-28-15-27-24@mail18.svr.pol.co.uk>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_4BA4792B.5D3FB010

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="Windows-1252"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

test

------=_NextPart_000_0006_4BA4792B.5D3FB010

Content-Type: application/octet-stream;

name="data.pif"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Content-Disposition: attachment;

filename="data.pif"

I've had a few of those now, but I can't be arsed to go in late and sort everything out. They knackered it, so they can wait till the morning..... I have email/networking rules and regulations for a reason!

smile_o.gif And they will still thank me!

placebo i had a similar thing but with my hotmail account, wierd huh crazy_o.gif

I got my 1st one a couple of hours back, apparently it was 'a message from AOL' with no email address crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Wohoo, hot like 100 just today biggrin_o.gif I can just imagine what's going to happen on Feb 1st.

Wohoo, hot like 100 just today  biggrin_o.gif  I can just imagine what's going to happen on Feb 1st.

they love you bn880 tounge_o.gif