Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Flashpoint revival missions and campaigns

I thought we had agreed to use a general theme, and then its up to everyone to use whatever addons they want rock.gif Although I would like some preference for addons that have not had enough publicity smile_o.gif

I don't really mind, but how does getting rid of "old missions of the shelf" combine well with the themed approach? Don't get me wrong, I do not object to any agreements (apart from the name.. smile_o.gif ), I don't just wanna see that some missions stay in the waste bin just as they do not fit into a theme.

Oh yeah, would it be a wize idea to release all missions (apart from PvP missions) as SP and MP? Its little trouble I guess and adds lots to the playability of the missions.

I am sure everyone has at least 10-20 missions that are in various stages of completion, there is bound to be missions that fit the theme, and if not, well, just make one as far as you can, then leave the rest for someone else! smile_o.gif

I thought there would be Sp and Mp missions, but not with the same content? As in, they would be completely unrelated?

Quote[/b] ]BAS addons are fine but I don't think Tonal can make it because of the large size   (this pack must be useable for everyone so also for the 56k'ers)

Use Tonal, if you're willing to use a download manager than you can get it. There's no need to say no to the island just because some people have slow connections (People like me). I can contribute some of my scripts (Like the spawn scripts, very useful in battles in Ixtlan or Tatu).

Why would SP missions and COOP missions be so much different. Ok, some SP missions do not convert nicely to COOP maps, but many in whick you command a squad will. I just say, IF the mission allows it release a SP and COOP version. Look at BAS, they did that for the Delta/Ranger add-on pack missions.

Always the studio's at the end  rock.gif Well, I do not object.

It isnt anything formal yet just a suggstion discard it if you folks dont like it smile_o.gif

Well i am going to the editing mode and try and finish up some of my oldies.

Always the studio's at the end  rock.gif Well, I do not object.

What's wrong with studios in the end rock.gif gives it a profesional sound smile_o.gif

All my attemps at thinking up a name have ended up with some disturbing synonyms crazy_o.gif

I think we should use the one AC suggested unless somethinks of a better one wink_o.gif

Guys,should I ask Shrike to prepare a section of the ZEUS forums only accessible to seriously interested people? This way we can start diverse discussion topics fast. Also we can make downloads for the pieces of missions that contributors have.

A very important topic that I think we should start is on the quality standard that we are going to offer. Of course if you want to be succesfull as collective people should be able to rely on a certain standard...

OK, just give me some green light and off we go... If not, I will just hold my ground.

Oh yeah, Shrike has offered me the ZEUS test server for use of our -yet to be named- coorperation. This dedicated server is open for us to test functionality of MP missions and runs addons. I am sure that if we need other addons on the test server this can be arranged.

Quote[/b] ]BAS addons are fine but I don't think Tonal can make it because of the large size   (this pack must be useable for everyone so also for the 56k'ers)

Use Tonal, if you're willing to use a download manager than you can get it. There's no need to say no to the island just because some people have slow connections (People like me). I can contribute some of my scripts (Like the spawn scripts, very useful in battles in Ixtlan or Tatu).

year but what about the guys whit a slow comp. like 1ghz.

I play the game on a 950 mhz machine and it takes two years to load in the mission editor and quit a bit of time to load a mission, tho it runs whit only a little lag ingame.

STGN

Quote[/b] ]I play the game on a 950 mhz machine and it takes two years to load in the mission editor and quit a bit of time to load a mission, tho it runs whit only a little lag ingame.

You'll live. Its absurd to not use a great island because people don't like long load times.

Edit - Almost finished my Tatu Assault (Thinking of calling it "Crimson Wind", or maybe just "Bloodbath" tounge_o.gif ) mission. There are so many enemies that it's basically impossible for your squad to make it through alone, so you can call in TDF reinforcements when you need them.

There are so many enemies that it's basically impossible for your squad to make it through alone, so you can call in TDF reinforcements when you need them

m21man, as I want to contribute scripting-wise to the map initiative I was thinking of, as a standard, including scripts that at the beginning of the mission remove all units from the map until they are needed (script by Doolittle) or scripts that spawn groups of enemys from scripts and are not placed via the editor (Enemy Stack by CoC was just brought under my attention).

Of course making missions using these tools will take some time of you mission makers to get used to, but have the benefit of drastically reducing the CPU strain, so the playability of missions increases.

My task I see in first getting to know these scripts well, and where needed addapt or modify scripts, and help implementing them. I am a technocrat; technology will improve quality.

BTW. I need some hands for getting the forum on-line. What are opinions regarding this matter?

Quote[/b] ]m21man, as I want to contribute scripting-wise to the map initiative I was thinking of, as a standard, including scripts that at the beginning of the mission remove all units from the map until they are needed (script by Doolittle) or scripts that spawn groups of enemys from scripts and are not placed via the editor (Enemy Stack by CoC was just brought under my attention).

I am using my own spawning scripts in my mission. There is a "unit choke" which controls the maximum number of units in the mission, and the scripts use this number to maintain the appropriate ratio of BLUFOR to OPFOR (1:10 at the moment tounge_o.gif ).

year but what about the guys whit a slow comp. like 1ghz.

I play the game on a 950 mhz machine and it takes two years to load in the mission editor and quit a bit of time to load a mission, tho it runs whit only a little lag ingame.

STGN

I'm running OFP on a 905mhz K7 and I don't have too much of a problem loading Tonal. Yeah it's slower then Everon, but no big deal. smile_o.gif

OK, i have read every post

Most posts seem to be about "My mission does this", "My mission does that". "Use these, or that addon"

Most references are for CoOps

This is all cosmetic, and at this point in the discussion isnt really that important

I think, to organise this whole "Initiative", you need to do it in the following order

1) Assign a Project Team Leader

2) Define what is actually required as an overall picture

3) From this create a working plan and a working environment

4) Split the project up into "Mini Projects"

5) Assign a "Mini Project" Leader

5) Create Test and develop the systems you create

6) Assemble the various project elements together

7) Then release

Project Team Leader

This guy should have a lot of spare time on his hands

He is responsible for Organising and overseeing the project

He has final say on important decisions

(Otherwise nothing would get done)

Define what is actually required as an Overall picture

This is NOT about specific details such as use XXX addons

More on General ideas and content

like,

Addons in general

Should we restrict addons to a pack

Should we have no addon restrictions

Create a working plan and a working environment

After deciding on the content and how you are going to build the initiative, then plan its organisation and implementation

"Mini Projects"

At this point you should know what you need and how you are going to achieve it.

The project can then be split into various elements, a Mini project team leader assigned

(This Mini project team can then go through points 2 to 4 defining things in higher detail)

Create Test and develop

The mini project teams can then start getting to grips with their task, the more preparation is done, the better the final outcome and the easier it is to create

Assembling elements together

This would be done by a mini project team who's task from the start was to create a system that was able to easily implement the various elements together

Release date 2050 biggrin_o.gif

******************************************************************************************

The small specifics at this point is totally useless

Assign a team captain, then lets start talking general setup

OK, i have read every post

Most posts seem to be about "My mission does this", "My mission does that". "Use these, or that addon"

Most references are for CoOps

This is all cosmetic, and at this point in the discussion isnt really that important

I think, to organise this whole "Initiative", you need to do it in the following order

1) Assign a Project Team Leader

2) Define what is actually required as an overall picture

3) From this create a working plan and a working environment

4) Split the project up into "Mini Projects"

5) Assign a "Mini Project" Leader

5) Create Test and develop the systems you create

6) Assemble the various project elements together

7) Then release

Project Team Leader

This guy should have a lot of spare time on his hands

He is responsible for Organising and overseeing the project

He has final say on important decisions

(Otherwise nothing would get done)

Define what is actually required as an Overall picture

This is NOT about specific details such as use XXX addons

More on General ideas and content

like,

Addons in general

Should we restrict addons to a pack

Should we have no addon restrictions

Create a working plan and a working environment

After deciding on the content and how you are going to build the initiative, then plan its organisation and implementation

"Mini Projects"

At this point you should know what you need and how you are going to achieve it.

The project can then be split into various elements, a Mini project team leader assigned

(This Mini project team can then go through points 2 to 4 defining things in higher detail)

Create Test and develop

The mini project teams can then start getting to grips with their task, the more preparation is done, the better the final outcome and the easier it is to create

Assembling elements together

This would be done by a mini project team who's task from the start was to create a system that was able to easily implement the various elements together

Release date 2050  biggrin_o.gif

******************************************************************************************

The small specifics at this point is totally useless

Assign a team captain, then lets start talking general setup

But this isn't very communistic... wink_o.gif

I'm running OFP on a 905mhz K7 and I don't have too much of a problem loading Tonal. Yeah it's slower then Everon, but no big deal. smile_o.gif

Don't have long loading time with my Athlon XP 1800+, but if the loading time is long Tonal is worth every minute wink_o.gif

This is the real world not some Fantasy world that students live in

and Ironsights post above although important later down the line is totally irelevant at this time

His type of post is better suited to say a Mini projects team that may be tasked to create an addon pack and therefore specific points of view on certain addons would be more relevant

Anyway back on Topic

<span style='color:red'>Possible Overall Picture questions</span>

1)Which of the following mission types will this initiative support

a) CTF and its derivatives

b) C&H and its derivatives

c) Coops

d) A&D and its derivatives

etc etc etc

_

2)What will be the minimum standard requirements that these missions must attain

These are examples of questions that may be asked

eg

Player size

.....For a greater possible audience, it needs to be available for play on the servers that can cope with larger numbers as well as smaller

eg a 6 v 6 game which is the average team size on some servers, may be 12 v 12 or greater on others, therefore if these larger servers have say 28 players on their server, they wont be loading a 6 v 6 map

Content

for example, dependant on missiontype

.....must have a safezone & outer warning zone

.....vehicle respawn

.....intro cutscenes

.....good briefings

.....have pre-game selections that give you choices X,Y,Z

Gameplay

needs to be well balanced and fun to play

The sorts of things that should be discussed at this stage are simply general ideas, there should be no mention of a specific addon or map, mission etc, these are topics for discussion when a overal view has been accomplished, and those types of posts simply clutter up threads

An example of the overall picture could be something on the lines of

XXX = Project Leader

Any mission offered must use up to date scripting methods and be compatible with mods such as ECP, etc etc etc

Missiontypes that can be offered are

a) X

b) Y

c) Z

These mission types must be created using the following standards

a) X

b) Y

c) Z

Any offered missions will assesed by Mini project team X

who will score them on the following criteria

a) X

b) Y

c) Z

If they score high enough, they will be placed in a download missionpack according to their grouping

_

Each missiontype should be built using a template developed by Mini project teams

This template uses everything that you need to get the specific mission type to the standards require

Each template has an indepth on line tutorial that walks you through implementing it

The template is designed in such a way that a novice mapmaker can easily create a well functioning mission from it

It will allow much individualism and additional modification by an experienced mapper, but also will be of a sufficient standard that when created by a novice, the end product is of a very good standard

The overall design of the templates should be done by the very best of scripters working within the initiative, and each template (Apart from maybe coops) should be of a similar design and layout using tall the latest gimmicks within the OFP editing community

Here's an example of a template pack

Example of a template

Here's an example of an online tutorial to back it up

Template tutorial example

For this to work, you need to get organised, prioritise and start making decisions on the larger picture, forget totally at this time about the finer details

This is the real world not some Fantasy world that students live in

and Ironsights post above although important later down the line is totally irelevant at this time

Geez what's your problem dude! mad_o.gif

Try to restrict people too much, and you probably won't get many people willing to design missions for you. As a mission-maker, it is more fun to design missions around random ideas and use standardized scripts than it is try to make missions fit certain standards, which will rapidly make missions seem repetitive. Personally, I'll contribute my collection of missions for Tonal, but I'm not going to alter them so that they fit the standards of Josef "Terox" Stalin.

Quote[/b] ]The template is designed in such a way that a novice mapmaker can easily create a well functioning mission from it

Impossible, an important part of mission-making is being able to search for and find unique places for your mission. Just provide some scripts and let people work on their own.

Impossible, an important part of mission-making is being able to search for and find unique places for your mission. Just provide some scripts and let people work on their own.

That's right the art of mission-making is creating an atmosphere wink_o.gif