Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

BIS, a tech question about user addons

There are many reported cases of users with a clean install who add user addon files into the ADDONS folder and then experience problems.

The most popular problem is that tank HUD information is totally missing when certain user addons are present in the addons folder.

In a case I'm discussing now with someone, both the Gunslinger Editor Update and the Kegetys Winter Kolgujev addons each individually cause the HUD problem, i.e., even when just one of these addons is installed.

Incidentally, this is not true for everyone. I have both of the above addons installed and my tank HUDs are OK.

The question, BIS, is what could there be in a user addon file that would affect an official SP or campaign mission that makes no reference at all to that same user addon?

Where could the conflict be? It would be a pity not to solve this, as user addons are a great feature of any good game. These particular two addons are an example of talented work that we should all be able to enjoy without side effects.

Have you, BIS, or can you attempt to diagnose what could possibly cause the problem? This way, official guidelines could be established that will allow addons to be designed correctly, without conflict, in the future.

Looking forward to an official reply. TIA!

I have a few Tank huds missing, but thought that was related to other simmular post saying it was related to the patches, never would have guess (not saying this is the cause) it could be confliction with addons

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 3:00 pm on Nov. 25, 2001

I have a few Tank huds missing, but thought that was related to other simmular post saying it was related to the patches, never would have guess (not saying this is the cause) it could be confliction with addons

<span id='postcolor'>

I've already reported to BIS a separate problem with the M113 HUD's (both models) having no info except for ammo count. This is with a clean 1.20>1.30 install and upgrade and with no user addons in the ADDONS folder.

Addons can cause problems with additional armor model HUDs. In the example I was referring to at the start of this thread, I was referring to all tanks.

I have never seen, or heard before that my Winter Kolgujev would cause something like that... Does it? In Gunslingers addon I think there are some classes defined wrong, which causes problems. Many unofficial addons have classes defined wrong, including older addons made by me. But Winter Kolgujev and the Addon Collection 1.2 should have all classes right...

/bows down to the master addon maker

I've got someone on my squad who had this problem with just the Winter Kolgujev addon installed, with a clean upgrade to 1.30.

How can I put you 2 in touch? If you want, ICQ me.

Hmm... Maybe its caused by how unofficial addons define all unitnames etc. straight in the .cpp instead of using stringtable.cvs like official addons do... Suma, if you are reading this maybe you could say your thoughs about what might be causing it?

Yes. I am reading. I tryied to check this, but unfortunatelly on my computer even Gunslingers addon runs ok.

I suggest trying to remove units one by one from the addon on some computer that exibits the problem to see which class is causing problems. Once we have some minimal addon, we will be able to investigate it.

Gunslingers addon is too large and complicated and it is therefore quite hard to guess what is the problem. Some smaller test case exibiting same problem is needed.

Ondrej, I've reported problems with Hellfires missing from Apaches and empty M113 HUDs in clean OFP 1.30 upgrades with no unofficial addons present.

Could this possibly be an OFP bug that may affect addons, whether official or not?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ondrej, I've reported problems with Hellfires missing from Apaches and empty M113 HUDs in clean OFP 1.30 upgrades with no unofficial addons present.

<span id='postcolor'>

This is completely unrelated. Missing hellfires are related to A10 LGB drawing. Empty M113 seems to be there since 1.00 (I am not sure on this, though).

I don't have unoffical addons installed with my Flashpoint. I never had them installed. All versions were completley offical, and i'm still discovering missing hellfires. I don't see a big problem in M113 HUD. Why do you need it anyway. M113 is not a tank. He doesn't have radar.

I had a clean install, from V1.20 to v1.30.

Hey Avon I'm here. smile.gif The only two add-ons that make my tank hud go away are Gunslingers editor upgrade and Kegetys objects. Even with all other unofficial add-ons removed. The second I put in Gunslingers or Kegetys objects (even separately) it goes away. I tried a clean install and even a windows registry cleaning but it doesn't fix it. I don't know anything about classes or anything. I'll leave that to you add-on guru's but if it would help I could give you my system specs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from SpaceAlex on 8:47 pm on Nov. 28, 2001

Why do you need it anyway. M113 is not a tank. He doesn't have radar.

<span id='postcolor'>

HUD shows armor damage and turret vs. chasis position.

The armor damage is not really needed because the M113 is destroyed so quickly anyway,