Sign in to follow this  
m21man

School shooting

Blame the media, blame video games, blame white middle class gun owners, blame guns themselves, banning guns won't fix it. Then kids would just poison each other or beat each other's heads in with pipes. Gun are tools. I think the underlying problem is that American parents no longer PARENT their children adequately. Maybe this is becoming a worldwide issue now. Of course children are going to be messed up if you let Eminem and Madonna raise your kids.

Blame the media, blame video games, blame white middle class gun owners, blame guns themselves, banning guns won't fix it.

Of course banning guns won't fix it. Look at the US murder rate by guns, then look at the laws. Look at the murder rates of countries that have proper gun laws. Americans are 30 years behind in gun control, it doesn't suprise me. Forget telling me about the right to bear arms either, why would anyone need arms in a half civilized world? To keep the fucking minorities from stealing your car? If the gun laws weren't so stupid there the minorities wouldn't have guns themselves. The best thing the Americans could do is ban handguns. Otherwise it's a full on hillbilly fest as usual. Remember, the ends justify the means.

Banning guns won't fix anything. It's to ingrained in U.S. culture. It would likely trigger a civil war. Canada has just as many guns per capita and not nearly the gun crime. If you ban guns then only the people who aren't supposed to have them will have them, like the U.K. I personally like guns. I like shooting, and I like collecting them. My guns aren't for protection, theyare for m enjoyment. Banning them will only take them away from people like me. Not like a criminal is going to turn in his irons because of some words on some paper.

The really funny part here is that nobody seems to recognize that when it comes to passing absurd gun laws and other such registration. I can understand registering your firearms (Type) but I can't understand having to have registry stickers on the barrel (In Canada) and all that other legalized bullshit they seem to get high off of. Its retarded. I can understand the need for weapon restrictions (Who wants to face a drive-by shooting when the gunners are armed with Kalashnikovs?) but I can't understand why people continually bitch. Blame this, blame that, blame Jesus, Blame Rap, et cetera. It really is quite pathetic.

AK

The really funny part here is that nobody seems to recognize that when it comes to passing absurd gun laws and other such registration. I can understand registering your firearms (Type) but I can't understand having to have registry stickers on the barrel (In Canada) and all that other legalized bullshit they seem to get high off of. Its retarded. I can understand the need for weapon restrictions (Who wants to face a drive-by shooting when the gunners are armed with Kalashnikovs?) but I can't understand why people continually bitch. Blame this, blame that, blame Jesus, Blame Rap, et cetera. It really is quite pathetic.

AK

I agree on this...

They blame on everything except the right one.

AkM times have changed. 50 to 60 years ago families lived together more closely and death was more of an everyday thing, it came naturally with generation exchange. Furthermore people experienced death during wars, lack of medical supplies, all in all everyone had more chance to observe and experience death with his own eyes and emotions, death as it is in reality

Nowadays that is no longer the case. Generations live very much seperate from each other, hospitals reduce the risk of sudden death, and the logistics of the mortician has become so service oriented that we dont see people die, the only thing we see is a few death notices in the newspaper.

And yes therefore DEATH has become a totally abstract thing for the younger ones and all they learn about it is from either what we tell them, what TV tells them or what the games tell them. A child playing ego-shooters all day might be too open to adapt the image of death as being portrayed in the game!

Do you see my point?

So you see the problem as children not realising what death is.

And you propose to solve this problem by removing any more references to death in media.

Great idea, einstein.

PS times have not changed.

Its rose tinted glasses.

Old(er) people have been complaining about 'how things were better back in the day' for as long as human civilisation - THEY WEREN'T. YOUR MEMORY IS FALLIBLE.

Violent games don't cause more violent crime. Stop claiming they do without any evidence.

Firearms don't cause more violence either, its the stupid idea a lot of Americans (and others to a lesser extent) have that they must be used for home defence that causes the trouble.

In countries such as Canada or Switzerland, which also have huge amounts of weapon ownership, they don't have nearly the same problems - because they don't use them as cheap burglar alarms.

You have to take into consiteration the population density of the United States versus many other countries out there- The US has 79.6 people/sq. mi. (Source: US 2000 Census), while Canada has about 7 people/sq. mi. (Source: Canadian 2001 Census).  When everyone's all squished together like that, the likelihood that there's a crazy who wants to rape your dog and kill your mother living nearby increases by quite a bit, wheras in Canada the population's more spread out, leaving most of the crazies to live far away from the rest of the population.  People also tend to get competetive in a situation with lots of other people around as well, a higher population density would easily trigger such a response more than a lower density area.  Simple human thinking- be the top of the pack by any means necassary, but if there's no pack to be the top of then don't try.

I hope this isn't ressurection, thought the last post was today even.

Anyways, I want to just get your thoughts on this.

But did any of you consider the personal lives of some of these students who do school shootings(Columbine to be exact)? I notice you guys etiher blame media or not, but did you also realise that these students are usually the sociopaths, introverts, or are often abused both at home and at school? This is something I noticed is overlooked quite often in the debates. The two students at Columbine, if I remember correctly, were often picked on and teased at school and there homes were probobly not the best. Here in Canada, I know alot of students who have it really bad at home.

I'm sure playing DOOM didn't help their situation. But they would have to really hate their fellow students already if they would personally take the time out of their lives to switch the faces of characters in game. While the process isn't probobly too complicated, its still time taken to resolve a personal vendetta virtually.