Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

Wing commander

Tie Fighter? Bah... I waited so long to play as an Imp in that series, and then when they give it up, most of the time you fight Pirates and Rogue Imperial forces. smile_o.gif IMO X Wing Alliance was the best of the bunch, and still play it.

Ahh, those were the days... I remember playing WC1 and WC2 like crazy. But in WC3, I never quite got over the (absolutely stupid) plot twist that Hobbes was a traitor, so I kind of stopped liking the series from that game onwards. I mean, in WC2 secret operations 2 Hobbes helps you to take down two (2) Kilrathi carriers and their finghter wings (Fralthras were they?). Wouldn't that be the time to act if you were a traitor?

Luckily Freespace 1&2 got produced later on, because those really restored by faith to space combat sims. What plots they had! Finally humans were portrayed not as holy angels of good, but as the ruthless expansionists that we are... I remember how cool it was to see shaky video of a Shivan for the first time...

For some reason, plot writing has really gone down the drain lately. Most of the games that come out have completely shitty plots. The best example of this is Silent Storm, which has an absolutely beautiful combat model, but the plot is complete shite (f*king panzerkleins and what not). Then again, even the movies seem to have crappy plots nowadays, so maybe all worthwhile stories have been told already...

blah..after checking ebay for Freespace 2...I found out that many copies were going for over $70 crazy_o.gifwow_o.gifrock.gif

Try Amazon - they should still have a bundle with Freespace 1&2 in one pack (at least the German outlet had it a year ago). Very cheap.

I played all WC parts but the last. While the visual quality got better and better the first two parts were by far the best story wise.