Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

Wing commander

Hi

Did anyone ever play a game called Wing commander?

I have been going over it again and i think its a great game you should buy it if you dont have it already?

Also does anyone own Wing commander kilrathi saga if so e-mail me at Luke.steel@btinternet.com and get 2 FREE! addons from Wing commander!

http://www.freewebs.com/lukemax/H2.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/lukemax/EX1.JPG

Thanks

Luke

Runs in DOS doesn't it? Won't work on a new PC (especially one with XP)

Last time I tried to play it (few years ago) it ran at 200x normal speed - it'd start a mission and the next thing you saw was the ship blowing up

Yeah I played it, great game at the time, I wasn't working then so played it during the night while a Cricket world cup was on (not that I'm in to Cricket), but anyways used to play it through the night while the cricket was on eating lots of Edam cheese, don't ask me why smile_o.gif

I remember playing the third one. It starred Mark 'Skywalker' Hamil in it.

I think it holds the record of being the most expensive game ever produced.

And it was still bloody awful!

one word...Freddie Prinze Jr crazy_o.gifghostface.gif

oh wait...thats, 2 er 3 words tounge_o.gif

wingcommander.jpg

Runs in DOS doesn't it? Won't work on a new PC (especially one with XP)

Last time I tried to play it (few years ago) it ran at 200x normal speed - it'd start a mission and the next thing you saw was the ship blowing up

That can be compensated for with programs that can either automatically underclock your cpu or just restrict what that specific program can use. Some of them work quite well for older games.

I never played WC 1 and 2 but I still got 3, 4 and 5.

The 5th is the only HW-accelerated of them IIRC but not alot of movies. I think the 4th was the best of the three I played. Selections you made during one movie at the beginning could impact the end-scene. The 3rd game's story was the usual stuff. No surprises, just cliches of everything else. I have a feeling the 5th was just a stunt to make more out of the name. I lost the Wing Commander-feeling in that game.

"Maniac" is my fav character (played by Thomas Wilson).

I was very disappointed when Chris Roberts had replaced the original games-actors with the likes of Freddie Prinz jr and Mathew Lillard in his movie  crazy_o.gif

Not even John Ryes-Davis was in it, instead you got that french bad-guy from Bad Boys mad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gif

I wasnt into the game but remember the movie.

A friend of mine was involved in making the SFX for that movie so I was quite enthousiastic about seeing it.

The fact that it went straight to video should have been a warning. crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

I used to play Wing Commander IV. It was a great game. Good actors, good cutscenes.

Ahhhh, the feeling when you got your hands on that Banshee for the first time. For some reason it was my favourite... Right after the.. Dragon was it?... I mean it was awesome. And that cool disc shaped bomb.

BTW was there any way not to join the.. what's their name? First time I went right along with my friends, but the second time I tried to stick with the... who were they? But the mother ship was always bombed to pieces.

I don't even remember the names anymore. It couldn't have been that long time ago.

Somewhere in our dunge...cellar lies a box with five 3.5" floppies (WC1+Addons). And in mid-90s I bought the CDROM edition of WC2 (+Speech Pack and Addons).

*sings*

Those... were... the... days my friend...

But Origin screwed up the game loop: Its speed is cpu-dependent (i.e. it is unplayable on modern hardware, you'll need a software brake)... crazy_o.gif

to add a little cream-top to this post i open my desk and pull out the 4 CD edition of WC III  ...

*singsalongwiththebastler*

smile_o.gif

back in those days WC was simply the greatest ... something comparable to ofp nowadays (especially hardware recommendations). at the age of 11 i visited my neighbour everyday to play WC I on his amiga 500   tounge_o.gif

to add a little cream hood to this post i open my desk and pull out the 4 CD edition of WC III  ...

What about the 6 CD WC IV?  biggrin_o.gif

I think I found a D3D-hack or something a while ago for WC IV.... can't find it now  crazy_o.gif

I guess it would be no fun in seeing the install benchmark now. It would return "0" anyway (lower is better) tounge_o.gif

mmkay..OT but i need help.

you may have noticed that i´m confused..

to add a little cream hood ...
to add a little cream-top ...

where´the more correct english ? crazy_o.gif

Ahh... The good old days.

The original Wing Commander was by far the best of the series. In fact, WC1 is what got me into gaming. I haven't seen that game in many, many years, but I can still remember the music, the characters... It's a timeless classic. The later encarnations of WC were mere travesties. Freespace 1&2 became my favorite space sims.

Does anyone know of any good new space sims?

Well theres Independance War 1 and 2 ...which are both great...

and ofcourse the "Holy Grail" of all space sims...Tie Fighter smile_o.gif

Independance War 1 & 2 might be very hard to fine btw...although I saw a copy of IWar 2 at Circuit City for only $4.99 (Box)...I have to really ask myself why I did'nt buy it sad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  

Its kind of sad...my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 is just collecting dust sad_o.gif

I got Wing Commander when it was NEW. It had four 3.5 inch floppy disks. biggrin_o.gif

I also had EPIC (great game, used polygons...), Simon the Sorcerer, Space Quest V, Stunts (still do), F15 Strike Eagle (ooold graphics... biggrin_o.gif)

God, I loved the old days... when gaming was just getting good.

Oh, and I really liked WCIV.

Stunts (still do)

Do you mean "Stunt Island"? Inverted flying under bridges/in tunnels? Landing on trains? Yeah! Great game. It's a pity one could not create game-independent videos...

Reminds me of the still-to-do task "create backups of old floppy disks"...

Stunts (still do)

Do you mean "Stunt Island"? Inverted flying under bridges/in tunnels? Landing on trains? Yeah! Great game. It's a pity one could not create game-independent videos...

Reminds me of the still-to-do task "create backups of old floppy disks"...

i had a game called stunts too. .. must´ve been the time of my 386/33 mhz smile_o.gif

the game had cool vektor graphics and you had the abylity to drive lots of cars e.g. Landrover, Audi quattro, IndyCar and many more ... the hardest opponent was Skid Vicious iirc.

blah..after checking ebay for Freespace 2...I found out that many copies were going for over $70 crazy_o.gifwow_o.gifrock.gif