Sign in to follow this  
ale2999

Eax, 5.1 speakers, headphones and games

ok guys I am desperate! I have an audigy sound card and 5.1 speakers and the the direction of the sound is just perfect. but sometime headphones have better use when my parents are sleeping and I have to be discreet or rvs where I need to hear every single footstep. I plug my headphones in the same jack of the front speakers . the only problem is that I dont get audio from directly in front of me or behind me. the thing i think that is happening is that the audio card still thinks that speakers are being used and give only front left and right to the headphones. the only way to fix that is going in the audio settings and changing from 5.1 to headset, but that is just tedious. does any1 know a better way to make all work without switching settings? thx for the help from icy canada

You need to go in and change the settings every time you switch between headphones and speakers.

Just get a Y connector for your sound card at radio shack. I dont know if "Y connector" is the right term, but just something to hook up your headphones and speakers at the same time. When you need headphones only just turn down the volume on your surround sound. I have one and it costed about $5 dollars.

i have a y connector attached. the problem is that in the headphones I dont hear all the sounds that I should. I only hear front left and front right unless I change the driver setting to headphones

Only way to get full stereo on your headphones will be to set windows speaker-setup to stereo or if possible plug headphones into Creative Livedrive (if you have one) or plug them into the headphones-jack on your speakers (if you have one).

Quote[/b] ]but sometime headphones have better use when my parents are sleeping and I have to be discreet or rvs where I need to hear every single footstep.

I must be crazy, I just use the speakers tounge_o.gif .

sometimes I play till late, so my parents dont want to hear my sub and speakers exploding with grenades lol. Try raven shield. IMHO the game with best sound ever. you can tell location of any1 just from their step sounds...

Hmm, I have a Hercules Fortissimo 7.1, and basically I run 5.1 speaker towers and headphones. To switch all I have to do is flip the mute on the mixer for front/center/sub/rear and headphone channels. Done. Anotherwords there are seperate plugs for headphones if you use 5.1.

unfortunately audigy 1 doesnt have 1, at least i think so :/

and although those headphones are nice, they are pricey! I lack the $$$ now haha. tuition get to be paid first sad_o.gif

I got Audigy1 with the Livedrive from the first Soundblaster Live. Too expensive to buy the Platinum edition every time tounge_o.gif

When I plug headphones into the Livedrive, Windows automatically switch to headphones-mode (stereo). When I un-plug my headphones Windows automatically switches back to 4.1 (I use Logitech Z-560).

I got Audigy1 with the Livedrive from the first Soundblaster Live. Too expensive to buy the Platinum edition every time  tounge_o.gif

When I plug headphones into the Livedrive, Windows automatically  switch to headphones-mode (stereo). When I un-plug my headphones Windows automatically switches back to 4.1 (I use Logitech Z-560).

shmm shadow does that work on the fly ie when windows is already on?

shmm shadow does that work on the fly ie when windows is already on?

Yeah, that's the whole idea smile_o.gif

Some older drivers did'nt reset speaker-settings back to 4-point surround if you did'nt disconnect the headphones before restarting/shuttin down windows.

But the Audigy got some strange feature for the analogue speaker-outs aswell. It senses which outputs that are connected to speakers (if both front and rear or just front is connected...for 4-point sur.).

The bad thing is that if I connect or disconnect the jack for the front-channel while the computer is on my PC always freeze and I have to reboot. Forgot about it today when I noticed I had swapped front and rear  crazy_o.gif

this is messed up lol. I got the latest drivers, and audigy 1. I try today: turned off the speakers and checked in the speaker setting but it was 5.1 although i had the headset plugged in. my driver version is 5.12.5.441 Could u put down urs please? thx man

I use the same drivers.

Make sure you enable "mute speakers upon headphone jack detection"

I consider myself pretty computer literate and junk lol but man I have been searching in every option, so I have to ask like a noobie. pls shadow can u post detailed screenshots? tounge_o.gif man thx! u are my hero!

well i think I found a clue why I didnt find that command....

I cant find that dialog box thats why! hah illustrate the noob lol. I went to control panel>sound speech and audio devices>sound and audio devices and its not there. I expected it to be there but it is awol sad_o.gif pls can u guide me in how to get there. btw I use winXP

You're the one calling yourself n00b tounge_o.gif

That dialog is like the image say or "audiohq" for short.

If you installed the newest drivers from scratch instead of upgrading the retail-drivers you don't have a shortcut to audiohq. The drivers are meant to upgrade existing drivers that already has mapped up a shortcut. Stupid, Creative, stupid.

Make a shortcut to this file

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Program\WDM\COMMON\CtPanel.exe

I must admit it took me a while before I noticed this. I installed the newest drivers on a fresh windows-install and was missing this shortcut.

Cheers smile_o.gif

FINALLY. you are my new personal hero! thx man i really appreciate it. Stupid creative. Like seriously they wanted me to install those archaic drivers and upgrade? ha! I showed them, well u did smile_o.gif

thx again  tounge_o.gif

EDIT: I started dancing too early sad_o.gif that option that is circled in red in urs, is completely disabled and greyd out in mine

audiopanel.JPG

Yeah, I must say I'm impressed too ....considering I'm allmost sleeping on my keyboard here (04:47 in the morning here) biggrin_o.gif

G'nite smile_o.gif

gnite, hopefully you addiction to the forum will bring u back! tonit... hehe tounge_o.gif