Sign in to follow this  
ebud

New vietnam island

Hi Ebud,

first of all great work on those islands, espicially the new RSSZ.

I started making a mission with the SEB SEALs on it - they fit damn good to this island.

Can you add some places where it is possible to cross the water, so that you can go from one Island to another like on SEB Ia Drang?

Some bugs:

Ilo: When you're walking through the forest it is moving on some places - as far as I know that's a WRPTool bug.

RSSZ: Almost every hut has a tree or bush in it.

Ilo: When you're walking through the forest it is moving on some places - as far as I know that's a WRPTool bug.

Forest is moving... what do you mean moving?

Hi,

I mean the trees are shaking.

Here are three positions where I found this problem: Ce 62; Cj 63; Ee 60.

yeah, I'll add some river crossings, but only on the small side channels. When I do that, the ai will not float over that area even when it's flooded, so I'll do it sparingly.

I have no clue as to why that forest shakes like that. I checked to make sure nothing was overlapping or on top of each other sad_o.gif  

I honestly don't know how to fix it.

Any ideas?

And Lee, if you look in the photography thread you'll see Waffen did a pic that shows the detail in that new grass that is in 1.7. Are you running the textures as high as they'll go? The pic you posted above looks like your running 256 or just 512 textures.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:geneva'><span style='color:#993300'>People should use PAC's on their vehicle and men addons if possible. That would a) provide better texture quality to their addons and b) would prevent unwanted invisibility.</span></span></span>

blues.gif

People should use PAC's on their vehicle and men addons if possible. That would a) provide better texture quality to their addons and b) would prevent unwanted invisibility.

Indeed, however, PAC does have many drawbacks.

Including only 1 level of alpha (so you don't get nice soft edges), really bad colour conversion (including adding purple and other shades of blue into a completely greyscale texture)

and so on...

I think the main problem extends to TexViews poor colour transfer algorithms (matching the nearest colour number, instead of the nearest colour tone)

But, its a nice sentiment, and definately should be adhered to as much as possible...

Yeah, thats why I wrote "if possible". If I look at the image with the LAV I think the hull does not need 32bit alpha texture. There are not transparencies like windows in it. The window of a car/chopper etc. however needs a 32bit alpha texture of course.

What you mean with bad color conversion? Is the PAC color conversion more worse than the PAA color conversion? From what I know it should be the other way around. I would always prefer PAC's if I don't need alpha.

For things such as plants, when I use pac I get a totally different color in-game than I do if i use paa. I end up having to color correct the hell out of everything again so that it all matches in-game. They may look nothing like the original tga that looks fine as a paa. Too bad that in certain instances the alpha on the paas obscure everything behind it. Vegatation looks so much better as paa sad_o.gif

Also back to the island if anyone cares, all villages, ports, forts, etc are in their respective places, all plants "blocks" removed from those areas so no bushes growing into the sides of huts. Weeks/months of work left to go to get things like this layed out, modeled and textured.

http://brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/Nha_Be.htm

Nice base pics (land area not in the OFP map yet)

http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/mapnc4807.html

Naval maps of the area.

Ebud you are awesome biggrin_o.gif Ok thats enough sucking up for one day wink_o.gif

Now I wish the wife would use that expression when she see's me working on addons rather than paying freelance work wink_o.gif

Ebud........you surprise me.........your island seems really small lol, but im glad cuz its a cool island and not really laggy t all (im infamousfor getting lag even on the desert island with nothing but the player on tounge_o.gif) like the long grass too......in only there was a massive field of it biggrin_o.gif would be fun for MP Hide and (go) Seek biggrin_o.gif

pacVSpaa.jpg

You are right, the colors of the PAC are more different from the colors of the original TGA than the PAA. However, the PAA is more "grainy" while the PAC has more smooth transitions.

Ebud's islands are simply amazing! wow_o.gif

and the texturing jobs he did in the SEB nam pack are arguably the best i have seen!

Is that the latest version hawkins?

Can anyone point me out where the latest fixed version is there are so many out here its confusing ...

this is the last version I'm making as I'm tired of working on it heh (as well as people seeing several versions floating around). 2.0 it is the final fixed and working version. This will go live (to news sites next week) as long as there are no real bugs left.

Again, it's unbinarized and optimized to compensate for that fact. Thanks to Lupus for finding and fixing many things.

wow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!

It's VERY good now. I almost died when first seeing "rumble in the jungle". That island is an almost perfect island with dense jungle!!

Little question:

I saw the AWESOME bunkers on the islands and I wonder if they can be found in the editor?

I'm glad you guys like it. After a few more days of people playing with it, I'll send it out as final to places like ofp cz and ofpec.

I'm going to leave it unbinarized, lupus made a nice binarized version that had the nice soft grass from version 1. But unbinarized p3ds look horrible with soft alpha channels in the textures so I kept the less pretty grass.

I also did a lot of thigns to try and fix lag. Made it look worse in some cases, but performance should be better overall.

There are about 3-4 versions out there, and hopefully other island makers can continue to refine the objects, edit them and use them in their own islands. I don't mind if you rip out p3ds or textures and use them separately. For those who just link to the pbo I have tried to keep all the same p3ds and not remove any. That way if you started on an island with version 1, this version will still work.

Maybe I'll finish the rssz map someday, but it's only at about 10% now and the thought of what it woul take to finish it makes my skin crawl.

If anyone wants to edit these islands, go right ahead, but just change the name of the pbo so the original is preserved.

I just added the inv44 grass to Rumble and it looks like sex. crazy_o.gif ok maybe not that good, but its damn sweet. What was the bunker someone was talking about? I like new bunkers and such. Good work mate, its wonderful work.