Sign in to follow this  
Powerslide

Bell 412 close to finished

It's called a Leopard C1 or C2, not a Leopard 1A4 or Leopard 1A5, in that instance. Also in that case, the Leopard C1 and Leopard C2 are quite different from either of the types they're based on.

Yes, but my point is: (and it's just for the sake of discussion and nothing else)

You can still call it a Leopard. People don't say it's not a leopard anymore because of the modifications.

Even with all the changes that make it a C1 and different from the 1A4. It has no new name, just new numbers.

According to that logic, you can still "fairly" call the 412 Griffon a "Bell 412 Huey" as the "Huey" was the model it was based from originally.

Could you not?

EDIT: I'm suprised we call our Bell 412 a "Griffon" to be honest and not something more "Canucky" like a "Goose" instead considering all the other names we use.  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Why does the CAF use the C6 instead of the C9? Calibre?

Given the option of a C6 and a C9. . . which would you take if you didn't have to carry it?

Good point.

Yes, but my point is: (and it's just for the sake of discussion and nothing else)

You can still call it a Leopard. People don't say it's not a leopard anymore because of the modifications.

Even with all the changes that make it a C1 and different from the 1A4. It has no new name, just new numbers.

According to that logic, you can still "fairly" call the 412 Griffon a "Bell 412 Huey" as the "Huey" was the model it was based from originally.

Could you not?

EDIT: I'm suprised we call our Bell 412 a "Griffon" to be honest and not something more "Canucky" like a "Goose" instead considering all the other names we use.  biggrin_o.gif

That's it, give me your beer. Power, get me some string.

whats with the beer stuff, canadian beer tastes like "poo"

now stop drinking and finish the Griffon tounge_o.gif

rock.gif??

As opposed to the alcohol-free Urine drunk south of the border? I'll take Canadian Beer any day of the week. Particularly if it's not the crap we export. . . the corporate crap like Molson, but rather, the microbreweries we don't. We keep the good stuff for ourselves. . . biggrin_o.gif

caint wait for this chopper. is it going to feature some delicious new cargo animations?

canadian beer does rule, all you haters, except i do have a soft spot for MGD and Bud tounge_o.gif

There is a possibility that the NZDF will upgrade its UH-1 Hueys to "...the current Canadian standard...". I guess this is the Griffin! Could you make one in all-over Olive green without canadian markings (like the pic below) so I can use it for my NZDF troops? Chur Chur.

AODUH1H5.JPG

MM00IQ12.JPG

If you find pictures of the Griffon, you'll see that the nose structure is different.

...and as Powerslide has repeatedly said:

"Feel free to make your own textures."

Anton

[EDIT: Though I do like the way that guy is sitting in the heli...I just might use that.]

I couldnt texture my way out of a brown paper bag sad_o.giftounge_o.gif

I am really hoping the RNZAF goes for the NH-90 anyway!

Quote[/b] ]You can still call it a Leopard. People don't say it's not a leopard anymore because of the modifications.

Yup. Different example though. It's still called a 'Leopard'. . . because it's still called a 'Leopard'. The reason it's called a Leopard still is because the name 'Leopard' just happens to fit with the CF naming convention of animals. I've never heard of an animal called a 'Huey'. . . and Canada doesn't use the 'UH-1' Designation (never have, never will). . . neither do we use the 1A4/1A5 designation for the Leo. Beyond that also, the Griffon is quite different from the 412, even the 412 that will serve as a UH-1 in the USMC. A lot of the specs are the same, but the helicopter is based on Canada's very different approach to heliborne operations. We do things differently, so we configure our helicopters very differently.

IMO, you would make as much sense calling a Griffon a Huey in light of that as you would calling a LAV-III a 'Stryker'. (or vice-versa). A person who was aware of the differences simply would not do it. I suppose if you REALLY REALLY wanted to, you could, but they are different vehicles. They're not just named differently because Canada likes the name better. (though that's certainly part of it. . . 'Huey' is, after all, a pretty dumb name for a helicopter [iroquois remains better, if a bit longer]. Seems to me, by that convention, the Blackhawk's name should be the UH-60 'Dave'.)   tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Seems to me, by that convention, the Blackhawk's name should be the UH-60 'Dave'.

You've just lost your beer and I'm getting the string.

Excuse me. Does anyone know where the term Huey comes from? I believe that would help clear things up. I'm a little fuzzy where did the term Huey come from? Anyone?

Excuse me. Does anyone know where the term Huey comes from? I believe that would help clear things up. I'm a little fuzzy where did the term Huey come from? Anyone?

When it was first put into service (in Vietnam) the American way of naming their helicopters meant it was called:

HU-1

H for Helicopter,

U for Utility,

and 1 because it was the first "real" utility helicopter the Americans had.

Soldiers being soliders couldn't be bothered pronouncing H-U-1 so they called it the Huey, as this was far easier to pronounce.

Wouldn't you know, the name stuck...

(since then the naming/classification convention has swapped, so its now UH-1, with the letters still standing for Utility Helicopter)

Cos its original designation was HU-1, huey was a nickname derived from this designation. Don't ask me how I know this Gaz, I just do.... biggrin_o.gif

For the sake of discussion and education (not trying to start an argument) I thought the USMC upgrade to the UH-1 will use the AH1Z four-blade rotor.  It's quite different from the 412 rotor, as it is 'bearingless' however that works.  I think it means that pitch control of the blades not a connection that rotates on bearings, but is instead some kind of flexible straps inside those fat cases on the blades.

AH1Zsidebr2_large.jpg

UH1Y.jpg

UH1N: http://www.ndu.edu/nwc....and.jpg

I don't have info on other differences, I just had the impression that the UH1Y is something beyond the Bell 412.

But to remain OT, I've been doing a bit of beta testing on the Griffon, and it rocks.  I really like the gunner position too, feels like you have more movement and visibility than other helo gunning positions.

ok...now don't get me wrong I'm the aviation nut of aviation nuts guess thas why I pay big bucks to go to Embry Riddle crazy_o.gif but that Z-model cobra is FUGLY!!! lol

Easy now, camera lenses can make even the most beautiful of objects, ugly.

The AH-1Z is the replacement for the AH-1W Super Cobra. It is an ugly helicopter but it is a very mean one too. Very fast and can turn on a dime.

The rotor head is bearing less...sort of...it replaces the common metal bearings with elstomeric bearings for longevity of aircraft parts and less maintanence.

The UH-1Y (Bell 412) is the replacemenet for the UH-1N. All UH is, is for the US Military to give classifications for it's helicopters. The US Military loves making things different from everything else.

UH = Utility Helicopter

CH = Cargo Helicopter

AH = Attack Helicopter

MH = Not sure, anyone know?

MH, isn't that a designation for Special Mission? I only say MH because of the MH-53 Sea Dragon, then you have your MH-53J's and now K(is it, the Pave Low IV), and so on. Don't forget RAH- and OH- and TH-, etc etc.

AH-1Z, aren't they calling it the Viper rather then continuing on with Super Cobra? That was the scuttlebutt I heard. Frankly I would not mind choosing the AH-1Z over a fixed wing, it looks like one mean mother, meaner then the Longbow.

George

The UH-1Y (Bell 412)

The UH-1Y is not a Griffon, although it's a Bell 412, you are right in that.

The UH-1Y is not a Bell 412, the engines are vastly different, the 412 uses the same type of engines used in the UH-1N while the UH-1Y uses the AH-1W engines, the tail has also been changed to match the AH-1Z so it looks quite different.

Bell 412:

bell_412.gif

bell412.jpg

07.jpg

UH-1Y:

uh1y_rollout.jpg

UH-1Y.jpg

uh1y.jpg