Sign in to follow this  
Dahlgren

Driving license

How about if you needed to do training to use cars, tanks or choppers in mp. When you completed a test you get a "driving license" for that type of vehicle in mp.  But it would be unreal if you could use all "driving licenses" at the same time. Maybe two or three. Maybe for "soldier types" aswell. Like in Americans Army. How about it?

No.

Maybe for a single player campaign, but i would just hate it to have to go through 30 training maps just to fly an A10

No just one training for each kind. And you dont have to do them in order. One for tanks, one for airplanes, one for choppers. Only in mp.

I really hate the fact that every unit in the game knows how to operate every vehicle. it really makes pilots and tank crews just an eye candy doesn't it?

It makes it an simulation, not a RPG... wink_o.gif

Allthou I think that they should do it as real as possible to drive and fly, and by that make it completley impossible to people who can't fly an airplane or drive a tank...

But it should be a hard difficult setting, ofcourse there must be easier settings too...

I think it should be abit harder to handle vehicles in OFP2, and if that is the case, I think that training would be in order so we don't get <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>blatantly idiotic people</span> driving our cars, stealing our tanks, and crashing our aircraft.

PS: I'm not a blatant idiotic person because I do all of the above on purpose.

How about optional training for them? And in MP you can view it.

What I mean is there could be several training missions for each specific vehicle, maybe add more and more patches come around. Each time you complete it you have a rating that would go up by something like 1, or to make it easy .01.

In MP it would have a training tab, and you can view each persons training. Then you can see how many training missions a person has flown. So in game you can see who is doing what, and who you may or may not want driving you or giving CAS.

I'd say stick the units to their roles. pilots fly, tank crews operate tanks, medics heal. maybe some kind of training could be good to decide who can jump into pilot's boots and who can't.

I like the idea of training missions to get licenses but imho it would be enough if only pilots could pilot choppers/planes and only tank crew could drive tanks and so on.

Just now nobody ever takes crew or pilots because they can drive/fly each vehicle with the cool mg/at/aa guy too.

hell it might even stop people like Espectro (remember him? "evil banned m00 cow") from driving... has the uncanny ability to crash a jeep on a straight road biggrin_o.gif

but then i too agree that perhaps having only pilot class able to fly, crew able to operate armoured vehicles and the such

plus adding some more detail into it... rather than just "forward" "backward" "left" "right" i mean

Didn't we have something like this in the 1985 campaign, you know, that tank training mission where you get called away half way through and engage real targets, in an M-60.

Anyways, a drivers licence, In a war game. No, a pointless waste of time. Though I do support locking certain types of vehicles to certain types of personel. Or limiting the 'driving ability' of certain vehicles to certain personell.

You know, anyone can drive a car, or truck. A grunt could drive a tracked vehicle, but he'd drive it more clumsily than a crew would for a while, then over a period of time, say ten or twenty minutes, he'd have more control of it, e.t.c.

The vehicles in OFP2 obviously going to be improved well beyond the original OFP.

I would not be suprised if they have training maps for the various new vehicles. Not suprised at the least bit.

Driving license... Not sure about that, but training map(s) for each vehicle type would definately be good. And perhaps some marking when u've finished them?

Then this thing about class restriction (tank can only be driven by crew etc). Imho there's a point in this, but I think its too rough way. Maybe make it just a little harder for ordinary foot soldier to drive a tank compared to crew doing the same thing. I mean infantrymen may be able to control a tank, but not as good as a proper crew. (Don't ask me how this could be done :P ) And on the other hand, real infantry fighter would have advantage over crew when no vehicles are involved. Just my opinion... blues.gif

Quote[/b] ]Maybe make it just a little harder for ordinary foot soldier to drive a tank compared to crew doing the same thing.

good idea but that would be a bit more difficult to do than restriction. and btw think about the difference between an ordinary soldier and a pilot. it would be hell lotta harder to fly a fighter for Pvt. Pyle than for an air-force pilot. in fact I think he wouldn't be able to even lift the damn thing. so "a bit clumsier" is way out of range there.

"it would be hell lotta harder to fly a fighter for Pvt. Pyle than for an air-force pilot"

Yes very true... But thats what i was saying, it should be hell of a lot harder for Pvt. Pyle to fly a plane, but not impossible.

But well, it might be hard to come up with ideas how to make it harder for him smile_o.gif

i think the types of veichles you can drive should be limited to each kind of player (tank commander , pilot etc) not a "free for all" as it is currently

Driving license... Not sure about that, but training map(s) for each vehicle type would definately be good. And perhaps some marking when u've finished them?
I would not be suprised if they have training maps for the various new vehicles. Not suprised at the least bit.

You know, every player could train to use vehicles in ofp1 too. But they don't. So get lots of players grabbing vehicles in mp which they can't handle and therefor wasting resources of your side.

This is encouraged by the fact that they do not have to select a "limited" class like crew or pilot to do it, but can take a law soldier instead, so if they destroy the vehicle they can play on as a normal infantry grunt. I'd rather see some more "specialization" in the game.

Well after some more thinking I agree that only pilots should be able to fly and crews handle tanks (cars & smaller boats still could be available for all). And singleplayer training that grants you with a license to play as pilot/crew in MP sounds like a good idea afterall  tounge_o.gif

I personally don't want it to be compleetley locked...

I would like to be able to still drive a tank and fly an aiplane or chopper, I think it is better if the limit is the player skill, not something built in to the game, it should be as free as it is now (just harder to fly and drive a tank)...

So, to make everybody happy, why not have a setting when you create the mission, that way people won't crash the chopper with everybody in it (not as often anyway), and people like me who want it as a real simulator can have that freedom... wink_o.gif

And singleplayer training that grants you with a license to play as pilot/crew in MP sounds like a good idea afterall tounge_o.gif

that's exactly what I was thinking of.

imo there could be an option for the server admin to set "free mode". that way everyone could do what they want. or it could be defined by the map maker as well.

imo there could be an option for the server admin to set "free mode". that way everyone could do what they want. or it could be defined by the map maker as well.

Sounds good, that way everybody will be happy...

Having something to allow other people to see what each person has trained as in MP is a good idea.

I also like the server settings as options; that way everyone is happy.

I suggest adding another category to the 'lock' menu - default, unlocked, locked and trained - this will allow simple scripts / options in setup screen to change the mission to allow everyone to use certain vehicles or only those 'qualified'

I dont like games where some units have some abilities that others don't. It's up to the player to learn how to handle the different elements in the game. It's not pvt. Ryan who is flying the plane or using the MG, it is you and how good you do it is up to your skills.

Neither do I, really, but I like having a transport with 20 odd players in it crashed into the ground by someone who cannot actually fly even less.

I would like the vehicle handling to be mainly determinied by pkayer skill (realistically hard) mainly, but just with the ability to see how good the player is likely to be.