Sign in to follow this  
Asmodeus

Kilo class type 636 submarine released!

Greetings everyone and happy Holidays!   biggrin_o.gif

We here at the Everon Cartel have a little Holiday present for you..  We've finally finished our Kilo class submarine!   smile_o.gif

Left_Side_Dock1.jpg

As far as we know, this is the first functional submarine in Operation Flashpoint!  It took a long time to complete this work and we've been very lucky to have great beta testers, feedback, luck and time to get it where it is.  

This addon was created for Operation Flashpoint versions 1.91 and above.  Due to factors beyond our control, there are some limitations to this addon.  

Please understand that we welcome all constructive comments and will do our best to reply to them.  However, we will not respond to any unhelpful or immature comments, it's a free addon and a labor of love after all!

You can get it at our site here:

http://www.everoncartel.com/news.htm

There's a quicklink on the left labeled "Get Sub", and you can also get it on our downloads page.  

Here's a quick list of features and limitations:

Features

*Ability to go under LST's, PBR's, LSD's, everything we've tested

except for other EC Kilo Subs...

*Long radar range

*Full range of submersion capabilities, using action menu options

*When sub is dived, enemies do not attack ^ (see below for more

details on this)

*Highly detailed cargo, pilot views

*Periscope included, with certain unavoidable limitations ^ (see

below for more details on this)

*2 versions included, 1 with the COC Shkval torpedos and 1 with

the COC APR3e torpedos. (great work on the torpedo's COC!  Thanks!)

*Custom sounds

*Custom gunner optics

*Great beta testers

*Many .p3d workarounds, a little luck and a lot of time to get it working!

*All signs, gauges, etc are in Russian.  (we used a free translator for

a lot of it, so it may be pretty bad if you speak Russian)  ;-)

Limitations:

*AI cannot fire torpedo's..  CoC members advise that this will be fixed in

the next release of the torpedo's and at that point we will make any

adjustments if necessary.

*When looking through the "iron sight" view in the gunner's position

(through the periscope), the submarine that you see does not dive.  

This is unfortunately an OFP game limitation.

*Enemies will follow you when dived if you have their waypoint

settings on "guard" or "seek and destroy"... We have found that

the enemy will pass the sub when on a regular "move" waypoint.

*Fire geometry is somewhat limited... The submarine is able to be

shot, but certain parts cannot.  (the tower for instance, cannot be shot)

*Wake does not disappear when sub is dived.  This cannot be

avoided, it is a game limitation.

*The soldiers that are inside the sub with you will look warped for

about 3 seconds when you first see them.  You can speed up the

process by zooming in on them if you want.

*AI Cannot Dive the sub, they must be commanded to do so.

If anyone wants to help us fix these problems, feel free to notify us!

Check our forums for a thread here.

Also, please check the readme for further details, credits, permissions, etc.  There is an online version of it here and a text version in the .zip file of the submarine.

Thanks to everyone that helped and Happy Holidays to the OFP Community!  smile_o.gif

Asmodeus

cool~~~hope to see something like 688I or any others............

Thank you for this alsome addon its really nice!

oh btw hapyy holidays everyone.

Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't take much to turn it into a dirigible.

Now thats thinking on your feet wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif LOL !

Merry X-Mas gents and happy easter egg !

Nice one guys,Happy X-mas to u to, great work !

We can always count on the Everon Cartel to come up with some very unusual kickass addons biggrin_o.gif

Nicely done, but the View Geometry LOD needs fixing; objects disappear behind it.

Tried to shoot it with sabot rounds but its like the sub isnt there. And there is no lock target thingy but... i like it alot biggrin_o.gif

It really is a shame that the engine has so many limitations...

Very nice submarine aside from the Limitations. It would be nice if there were more than just torpedoes. BTW, Lee what island is that?

Thanks for the compliments everyone! smile_o.gif

@ Wardog

Quote[/b] ]Nicely done, but the View Geometry LOD needs fixing; objects disappear behind it.

Interesting, what do you mean by this? Maybe I just don't understand cause I just woke up or something, but please elaborate. wink_o.gif

@ Heatseeker

Yes, it's a definite shame about the limitations.. The time we spent was fixing as many of those limitations as we could..

For those that know about addon making, have a look at the .p3d and you'll begin to see that this is no ordinary addon. The way the lod's work is kinda like black magic... We just had to mess with it till it got as close as possible, and one of the things was this:

Quote[/b] ]Fire geometry is somewhat limited... The submarine is able to be shot, but certain parts cannot. (the tower for instance, cannot be shot)

What part of the sub did you try to shoot? Try getting an AA launcher and locking on to it, then you'll see the place that you must hit it with a sabot or other non-guided weapon. wink_o.gif (it's about at the waterline, but it is easy enough to hit once you test it out a bit)

Yeah the lock target thingy is a side effect (or has directly to do with) of the torpedo problems with the AI. CoC members have told us this will be fixed in their next release of the torpedo's though! smile_o.gif

@ r1c0cH3T

Thanks! Yeah, we do plan on releasing another version in the future... Especially if anyone comes up with solutions to some of the problems.

Some of the things we plan on doing are:

Missle launching system

Inside Cabin light

Map system

Better fire geo (if possible, don't think so though, we spent months on it!) crazy_o.gif

And more!

If anyone is interested in helping us with these things, feel free to contact me.

Cheers everyone!

Asmo

@ Wardog
Quote[/b] ]Nicely done, but the View Geometry LOD needs fixing; objects disappear behind it.

Interesting, what do you mean by this?   Maybe I just don't understand cause I just woke up or something, but please elaborate.   wink_o.gif

Viewgeofault.jpg

If I remember correctly, if the View Geometry LOD is not defined, OFP defaults to the standard Geometry LOD for what can and can't be seen. If you've got any (normally invisible) sticky-outy bits in the geometry LOD, these would block the view of objects behind a model.

I am pleased you finaly nailed this Asmo and co, very good work.

RED

Quote[/b] ]What part of the sub did you try to shoot?

I tried to shoot all of it but i think sabot rounds have no efect on the Kilo rock.gif

Something else i really liked was the interior but its unfortunate that the driver/pilot doesnt have some way of seeing where he is navegating, it makes it useless for players who dont use 3rd person view. Also it would be great to have a comander position on the periscope like tanks so it would feel more realistic and fun to use (yes, i read about A.I. limitations but still... maybe in a future version?).

Another thing that would be nice to have would be a seperate room with soldier cargo positions and more capacity for troops, it a bit strange that a ural truck can carry more personel than a sub biggrin_o.gif .

Can CoC combat swimers eject safely out of this sub out in the sea? I dont have them but am curious. Sry if i sound a pain in the a**, i understand you guys have spend much time on this project finding ways to bypass all the game engine limitations, it is another great step forward in addon making and it sure hell is apretiated, big thanx smile_o.gif .

@ Wardog

Thanks!  This is something we weren't aware of and will fix if/when we release another version.   wink_o.gif

@ Red

Thanks!   smile_o.gif   Yeah, it took forever, glad to be done with it.  

@ Heatseeker

Strange... That's one of the main things we used to test the fire geo... An M1A1 tank's SABOT rounds.   rock.gif

Thanks for letting us know, not sure what to do about it though...

Yeah, if you don't use 3rd person view for the driver you are screwed..  Guess you have to use 3rd person view if you want to drive!  If/when we release another version this is one of the things we plan to add.   wink_o.gif

About the commander, that setup didn't work correctly with the sub.  The AI can't fire the torpedo's so what good does it do to call out targets?   wink_o.gif

About the CoCOSS thing..  We tried to do it, failed, asked for help and didn't get it..  So, if someone can help us with some probs we had, we'll do this in the next version.  (if anybody does know about implementing CoCOSS with a boat, please PM or email me)

About the room in the sub, I've actually answered this at the OFPEC forums:

Quote[/b] ]

KJAM:

good sub, i like it, pity there is only 8 cargo slots (or 9 i think) looks quite brill tho good

Asmodeus:

Yeah, it's too bad because I added another room for a bunch more cargo space for troops, but it made us exceed the internal polygon limit!  

This is a very detailed inside view for an OFP addon and we found it caused big problems on low end machines if we went up in Polys much more...

Also:

Quote[/b] ]Sry if i sound a pain in the a**, i understand you guys have spend much time on this project finding ways to bypass all the game engine limitations, it is another great step forward in addon making and it sure hell is apretiated, big thanx

No problem at all! We appreciate the constructive feedback and the way you present it. wink_o.gif Thanks!

@ sniperuk02

There is also a link in both the online readme as well as the .txt version of the readme.  

http://www.everoncartel.com/ECL_KL42o_oreadme.htm

Thanks everyone!

Asmo

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, if you don't use 3rd person view for the driver you are screwed.. Guess you have to use 3rd person view if you want to drive! If/when we release another version this is one of the things we plan to add. :;)

Well... I think if you were on cadet but with no 3rd person, you can still use the map to navigate somewhat accurately

and we do want to add a map system on it for the driver at some point in the future to help navigate

Quote[/b] ]About the CoCOSS thing.. We tried to do it, failed, asked for help and didn't get it.. So, if someone can help us with some probs we had, we'll do this in the next version. (if anybody does know about implementing CoCOSS with a boat, please PM or email me)

Actually.. I think what he's asking will work.. the only part of CoCOSS that won't work with the sub is being able to board it from the water as you can't "get in" a vehicle from another vehicle (which is what the CoC Diver is)

I'm just about positive that you can be a swimmer.. in cargo.. and hop out.. and you'll be able to swim to shore...

@ Heatseeker

Strange... That's one of the main things we used to test the fire geo... An M1A1 tank's SABOT rounds. rock.gif

Thanks for letting us know, not sure what to do about it though...

You might want to binarize your model in the future for releases, if you dont want people using it.

I had a look at the model in Oxygen and noticed that the various geometries are not in the same places. I dont know a whole lot about Oxygen modeling but it appears to me that in order to hit the sub a person would have to aim at a point about 1.5 boatlengths behind and about 1.5 to the left of the visible sub to actually hit it.

There are also no "Hit-Points". I dont actually know what these are but I know that other models which can be hit do have them.

Actually.. I think what he's asking will work.. the only part of CoCOSS that won't work with the sub is being able to board it from the water as you can't "get in" a vehicle from another vehicle (which is what the CoC Diver is)

I'm just about positive that you can be a swimmer.. in cargo.. and hop out.. and you'll be able to swim to shore...

You can, but reboarding is a no-no.

However, If I remember right (It's a long time since I played it) isn't there a script bundled with the CoC Diver example mission that transfers the diver to the boat?

If so, it would probably work with the sub too.

the CoC torpedoes have a minimum distance before they are armed so if you shoot one too close it does tend to just sorta bounce off of whatever it was you were shooting in my experience