Sign in to follow this  
suchey

Marine assault pack

hey major fubar ive been meaning to ask the moderator in that little box where it says moderator and theres a little pic hows the chubby guy with the helmet

hey major fubar ive been meaning to ask the moderator in that little box where it says moderator and theres a little pic hows the chubby guy with the helmet

OK, totally offtopic for 1 sec (apologies to all) but noone actually seems to know who that guy in the pic is. We can continue this discussion in the "Ask a Mod" thread. wink_o.gif

Did anyone say that these Marines are portraying Marines in Iraq?

After all, it was originally just the USMC MARPAT that were being made by Suchey and Earl. Then the decision came that an equal opponent had to be made, thus the Naval Infantry were born (in beta two or three). It was originally going to be named the USMC MARPAT Marines pack or whatever. Not the "USMC MARPAT and a couple of guys who didn't get their new uniforms yet" or the "USMC MARPAT pack that portrays only the brief transisition period between 3 color and digital camera instead of all/most conflicts in the near future, 2-3 years pack".

I wasn't trying to make it appear this addon was after Iraq Marines or anything else for that matter. Simply showing that Marines still do use woodland color and I didn't say anybody should reskin them. People were flaming each other over rather or not they still did and I was trying to keep the discussion civil. Although this is quite a hostile place thus my low posting count. You guys scare off new people biggrin_o.gif

Did anyone say that these Marines are portraying Marines in Iraq?

After all, it was originally just the USMC MARPAT that were being made by Suchey and Earl. Then the decision came that an equal opponent had to be made, thus the Naval Infantry were born (in beta two or three). It was originally going to be named the USMC MARPAT Marines pack or whatever. Not the "USMC MARPAT and a couple of guys who didn't get their new uniforms yet" or the "USMC MARPAT pack that portrays only the brief transisition period between 3 color and digital camera instead of all/most conflicts in the near future, 2-3 years pack".

I wasn't trying to make it appear this addon was after Iraq Marines or anything else for that matter. Simply showing that Marines still do use woodland color and I didn't say anybody should reskin them. People were flaming each other over rather or not they still did and I was trying to keep the discussion civil. Although this is quite a hostile place thus my low posting count. You guys scare off new people  biggrin_o.gif

The moderators are much scarier.

I was in the Marine Corps Uniform Store... now everything is digitized from packs to caps... I mean EVERYTHING was.

Yeah, I don't think they issue new woodland uniforms that aren't digital. I perfer the new camo myself smile_o.gif

I didn't mean to make it sound bad either. It's just that if it was to be done, it should be done right, and preferabley by Suchey himself.

Have to agree on that, its a shame he isnt around OPF any more sad_o.gif , personaly i would rather have some more aditions than reskins or reconfigs to the pack but without Earls weapons i guess its kinda hard, still the rni tanker is very good, i keep my hope of seeing some more of that stuff released, otherwise my version will remain 1.0 forever smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Although this is quite a hostile place thus my low posting count. You guys scare off new people

As long as an addon is original work and looks halfway decent, it'll usually be treated well. The Offtopic section, on the other hand, can often seem to be like a bar room brawl tounge_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]i keep my hope of seeing some more of that stuff released, otherwise my version will remain 1.0 forever

Well, there are Winter versions of the Marines and Force Recon operators. Those don't interfere with the original pack smile_o.gif .

well the winter force recon guys are ok, but the regular winter marines are kinda lame..

they just use the urban marpat textures on the regular guys, and the web gear is winter camo'ed for some reason. who ever made it didnt even bother thos change the models used for the grenadier, squad leader etc...Winter boonie and doo-rag?! whats up with that?

Id like to se some winter units made properly... all white camo keep the webbing green, switch all the models to helmet or watch cap.. and maybe take the hood off the model suchey made of the NBC marines, texture it white and stick it on for good measure

yes the winter marines needed ot have over whites. there is no real US winter camo. only over whites.

but there was that New Zealand units released not long ago that had the over white parka shells.

well the winter force recon guys are ok, but the regular winter marines are kinda lame..

I think that camo pattern works quite well on the winter islands..All i did to my winter Marines was to put the woodland gear back on..Don't forget that the islands aren't always pure white so an all white uniform might look out of place.

snowmarines.jpg

As you can see this Royal Marine Commando's uniform is only his normal one with white coveralls on.I don't think many countrys have a true winter uniform just a basic white cover.

RMC.jpg

@Mr Reality

i might have been kind of harsh calling them lame.. im sorry.

the camo does work well on the islands i admit.. but its not real. i would like to see the marines with overwhites, possible with a hood model aded to the unit(again i think the hood from sucheys NBC marines would work well)

Do you have a link to the version of your marines w/ the OD gear? the version i downloaded had it all in the "snow" camo.

@Mr Reality

Do you have a link to the version of your marines w/ the OD gear? the version i downloaded had it all in the "snow" camo.

The version i have is the same as yours.All i did was to unPBO both SUCHusmc.pbo and the SUCHwusmc.pbo and replaced the winter files with the required woodland files.It took me a couple of goes to get it right as it was my first attempt at this..

oh.. i thought from your first post that you were the creator of the winter units. my bad.

thanks

oh.. i thought from your first post that you were the creator of the winter units. my bad.

thanks

LOL... biggrin_o.gif

I wish i was a fraction as good at making addons as these guys are..

could you explain to me how you've done that

sorry, but i have no experience with such things

I can't apologise enough for the first release of the "Winter USMC", at the time I'd been editing addons for about a week. They are currently in this state...

wusmc.jpg

...and have been since about 3 days after the originals. The problem is, knowing how to edit addons does not a good texturer make. They are missing blood textures, stiching on the helmet covers, goggle straps, etc.

Cap.

Shouldn't those backpacks be white?

Also the other uniform accessories?

That was part of the "etc". wink_o.gif

nope uniform packs etc are still woodland etc.

there is only 1 thing for the pack and it is a over and that would really jsut remove all detail from the pack.

I would like to know why the knee pad is so low on that "Winter"soldier.As it is also  there on the original S+E Marines..The soldier is the "Fire team leader"

wusmc1.jpgwoodland.jpg

I think it's because the kneepad slipped down to his ankle. Just a touch of uniqueness.

After all, the crouching stance rests on the right knee, not the left knee, so I could imagine someone displacing their left kneepad for practicality (it could be awkward resting an elbow on a kneepad).

I think it's because the kneepad slipped down to his ankle.  Just a touch of uniqueness.

Or maybe the elastic went.

Nobody knows the troubles I've seen.........................

it is due most likely to ODOL explore it messes up the naming proteries on infantry and some times on vehicals.

it is due most likely to ODOL explore it messes up the naming proteries on infantry and some times on vehicals.

That may be true, but in this case it is not due to ODOL Explorer since the kneepad is in that position on the original unit too wink_o.gif