Sign in to follow this  
Winters

100 years of powered flight

The fact that they couldn't get it to fly again makes my thoughts wonder as to what could have been called sustained powered flight.

Heres my thought, you know those baseball caps with electric fans. If I were to say, jump off the worlds tallest waterfall with a hang glider with my electric hat fan going, and flew around for a good five to ten minutes, would that be enough to be deemed as powered flight, cause to me, at the moment, it seems 'Flyer' was more of a powered kite dependant on windspeed than a machine, capable of sustaining itself in flight.

Shhh, Americans want to think that they invented flight tounge_o.gif .

Yeah, I bet they do. I bet next anniversary, they'll modify the replica with a small dose of Nitrous Oxide, or even bump up the compression of the engine so they can run AvGas or Jet Fuel. Then you'll see Flyer in really Fly.

Americans could care less about who exactly invented what. We just like to think about all thats happened in these last 100 years

reminds me of George Orwell's 1984 , the party is said in school books to have invented both the plane and the helicopter smile_o.gif

I've heard lots of stuff about other people flying before the wright brothers. Frankly I couldn't care less. These days it doesn't make any difference unless you're that low on national pride.

Anyway, did anybody get to fly on the centennial? I was up doing practice instrument approaches with my instructor, but nothing really out of the ordinary happened.

Yes I was flying that day. Solo low level flying! biggrin_o.gif