Sign in to follow this  
Gollum1

Return of the king

Things you shouldn't do while watching ROTK in a theatre

1. Stand up halfway through the movie and yell

loudly, "Wait... where the hell is Harry Potter?"

2. Block the entrance to the theater while screaming: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

3. Play a drinking game where you have to take a sip every time someone says: "The Ring."

4. Point and laugh whenever someone dies. (going to be very hard not to do tounge_o.gif)

5. Ask everyone around you if they think Gandalf went to Hogwarts.

6. Finish off every one of Elrond's lines with "Mr. Anderson."

7. When Aragorn is crowned king, stand up and at the top of your lungs sing, "And I did it.... MY way...!"

8. Talk like Gollum all through the movie. At the end, bite off someone's finger and fall down the stairs. biggrin_o.gif

9. Dress up as old ladies and reenact "The Battle of Helms Deep" Monty Python style.

10. When Denethor lights the fire, shout "Barbecue!"

11. Every time Elrond appears, shout out (in your best 'Dobby' voice) "Clothes! Master gave Elrond Clothes!"

12. In TTT when the Ents decide to march to war, stand up and shout "RUN FOREST, RUN!"

13. Every time someone kills an Orc, yell: "That's what I'm Tolkien about!" See how long it takes before you get kicked out of the theatre.

14. During a wide shot of a battle, inquire, "Where's Waldo?"

15. Talk loudly about how you heard that there is a single frame of a nude Elf hidden somewhere in the movie.

16. Start an Orc sing-a-long.

17. Come to the premiere dressed as Frankenfurter and wander around looking terribly confused.

18. When they go in the paths of the dead, wait for tense moment and shout, "I see dead people!"

19. Imitate what you think a conversation between Gollum, Dobby and Yoda would be like.

20. Release a jar of daddy-long-legs into the theater during the Shelob scene.

21. Wonder out loud if Aragorn is going to run for governor of California.

22. When Shelob comes on, exclaim, "Man! Charlotte's really let herself go!"

24. After the movie, say "Lucas could have done it better."

Quote[/b] ]All the Gaps you mention above will be in the Extended edition DVD dude! dont you worry about that!

I have seen it, and the Battle for Gondor is about 25 minutes longer !

Funny, cause in a recent interview Peter Jackson estimated the extended DVD would be about 40 minutes longer WHEN HE DID IT. Future tense.

yeah, but Killagee is a New Zealander so quite likely has had some involvement in the movie or knows someone who does.

I know a couple of people from Weta (although the person I know best was only there for FOTR) who would likely have seen the uncut version.

Also he said the battle of Gondor was 25 mins longer not the whole extended section.

Perhaps, but I'm dubious as he said he'd seen the DVD not the rough cut. Beyond which rough cuts aren't usually exhibited. They tend to lack music and SFX and usually only exist for a very brief period in the hands of the editor and director.

It just seems to me that Jackson has to reinstate 7 minutes of Saruman, the houses of healing, the restoration of the white tree, the knighting of Merry, the confrontation between Gandalf and the witch King, possibly the mouth of Sauron and Sam and Frodo in the orc troop.

I can't see all that being squeezed into about 15 minutes cause we need 25 minutes of Orcs.

I'm not saying Killagee has no knowledge but I think he may be confusing different things.

Heh, I actually did that. Not on the Return of the king though. The day after I watched it, I watched the first movie on DVD with my cousin and my sister. They both are Tolkien fans so they weren't quite as amused as I was. They laughed politely the first five times and then my sister whacked me on the head with a pillow. Then I stopped  sad_o.gif

They laughed politely the first five times and then my sister whacked me on the head with a pillow. Then I stopped  sad_o.gif

Ahhhh, battles with siblings. Where terrorism first began.

Quote[/b] ]22. When Shelob comes on, exclaim, "Man! Charlotte's really let herself go!"

24. After the movie, say "Lucas could have done it better."

What happened to 23? rock.gifwink_o.gif

Heh, I actually did that. Not on the Return of the king though. The day after I watched it, I watched the first movie on DVD with my cousin and my sister. They both are Tolkien fans so they weren't quite as amused as I was. They laughed politely the first five times and then my sister whacked me on the head with a pillow. Then I stopped  sad_o.gif

Haha, oh you witty, witty man. wink_o.gif

Anyway, my favorite is this one.

Quote[/b] ]17. Come to the premiere dressed as Frankenfurter and wander around looking terribly confused.

Ok, I know Im  bit late but Ive finally seen the movie.

First of all I enjoyed it quite much.

The visual effects were mind blowing and some of the shots left me puzzled. I cant wait to buy the last cinefex to find out how they managed to get this magic on the screen.

The edit I didnt like to much. At least 30 mins could have been cut out to give the movie a better pacing, but I realise that to be at least a bit true to the book some parts that could be taken out in my opinion are needed in the movie.

Saw ROTK on 22nd and afterward read the book again, finishing last night (after blue smoke and a terrible fume came out of Mnt Doom aka my PCs power supply crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif ) and looking forward to the extended DVD. Actually like Mr. Jacksons adaption of the book.

Putting a good end to a mostly disappointing year, esp. regarding Terminator III and Matrix III...

Hello everyone xmas_o.gif

Just came home after watching the extended version of Return of the king (with some friends & great home cinema equipment), and I got to say: I'm very satisfied at last!

If the original cinema version was, lets say, 40% perfect - then the extended version is maybe 85% perfect!!

Its only 48 minutes added, but not many frames of the movie are left unchanged - especially the light-setting is greatly improved, many many scenes are longer and make more sense + alot of new great scenes.

I was still a little disappointed with ~5 minutes when Legolas still is glued to the Olifant + some other scenes around that... But still probably the best movie I have ever seen!

As for the triology as a whole, the 2:nd DVD disc of The two Towers (except when Legolas (again) goes down the stairs on the shield) + the first disc of Return of the King combined is simply the most perfectly made piece of media I can ever dream to experience  smile_o.gif

I watched it too tonight with some friends. It's a good movie, and the extended scenes are well worth watching. But thank god they didn't extend the ending, or should I say endings rock.gif

But thank god they didn't extend the ending, or should I say endings rock.gif

Personally I think the ending is quite decent - but then I have also waited 17 years (read the triology when I was 13) for a good reproduction of the books.... Lets put it this way: the long ending makes up quite a decent farewell to this dream come true - that the movies after all are for most fans of Tolkiens works.

Some weeks ago I watched the whole trilogy in a night at the cinema. I was so sleepy and realized how long the end actually was. In my opinion a good end would be after Aragorn got crowned.

Even though it has a little bit long ending, I still think it's a magnificent trilogy smile_o.gif

I watched it too tonight with some friends. It's a good movie, and the extended scenes are well worth watching. But thank god they didn't extend the ending, or should I say endings rock.gif

That was pretty much the only gripe with critics too. But they decided that Jackson had spent so much time making the movies, and had done such masterpieces for the books, that he had every right to stick whatever endings he wanted in. He deserved the indulgence to say Goodbye as long as he needed....

Course now he will make The Hobbit...

Perhaps I buy the special extended edition trilogy box as some kind of personal christmas present... biggrin_o.gif

(77EUR@amazon crazy_o.gif)

xmas_o.gif

Course now he will make The Hobbit...

The Hobbit -- The Movie

* Three hours big screen movie showing several dwarfs, Bilbo and Gandalf travelling from A to B.

* Five minutes to kill the dragon and return home.

* Fin.

SCNR

biggrin_o.gif