Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

Cool pictures supah. The Fokker Dr.I is one of my all time favourite planes.

It's funny though how it is today difficult to find one that hasn't got a red paint job wink_o.gif

Cool pictures supah. The Fokker Dr.I is one of my all time favourite planes.

It's funny though how it is today difficult to find one that hasn't got a red paint job wink_o.gif

You should see the koolhoven picture at full size! I had the camera on a stand, no flashlight as I hate the look that gives and I shot it as a RAW so I could mess with the white balance etc. later on. The 350D really makes nice pictures! Too bad 23 mb tiff files are so very much over the size limit wink_o.gif

I'm leaning towards purchasing the Fuji Finepix S-5500.

The S-7000 is a little out of my league price wise, and I was considering the S-3500, which is also a 4 MP camera, but that camera has less manual functions, which I will tend to use once I'm proficient, and doesn't have a microphone or sufficient framerate / resolution for flowing film clips, which is an extra functionality I'll certainly use.

It's on special at the camera shop at the momment too, but I'll see what the guy at the camera shop might also reccomend as an alternative to the S-5500.

Not sure what I'm most eager about?! Playing around with the camera, or the spots I've chosen to shoot from! biggrin_o.gif

hmm 4 mp, thats half of the 350 ... you could have a look around if you cant find a older Canon 300D somwhere. I've seen them for reasonable prices.

the docking of the world largest passenger ship drew some attention in Hamburg

the Queen Mary 2

Hamburg01082005013.jpg

due to some added anti-terrorism measures it was impossible to get really close to the ship

to get the ultimate frog perspective shot, so this'll have to do

hamburg010820050044fp.jpg

I don't want to spoil the forum layout so I'll link to a panorama shot of its length

hmm 4 mp, thats half of the 350 ... you could have a look around if you cant find a older Canon 300D somwhere. I've seen them for reasonable prices.

Well, I'm not looking for a full SLR camera, nor am I willing to go three times over the price limit, I've set myself.... both those Cannon SLR's still have a recommended price of $1799 Aussie dollars! For $479 AU, the S5500 Zoom represents reasonable bang for buck.

However, the Kodak Easyshare Z740 digital camera, which is 5 MP, is at the same price, and also shortlisted as a possible selction, but the downside is that it's video capture capabilities are limited to below 30 FPS.

Besides, this will pretty much be my own first non-disposable camera, and I'm not going to be using it other than for capuring images and short movie clips for storage on my computer/imageshack e.t.c.; wasting the 150 odd free prints I'll get from the store, and possibly printing some special shots of the family with my printer. And for those tasks, I've read, that a 4 MP camera will suffice for up to 11" x 14" prints. smile_o.gif

Picked the S5500 up yesterday afternoon (to give me extra time to muck around with it). The guy knocked down the price $30 to $450 to match the competition.

I bought a 1 gig XD card, and today when I went back to enquire about an XD card reader vs a power adaptor for data transfer, they basically, and very unexpectantly gave me an XD card reader worth $40 for free!

(Probably because of the confusion between the three different sales clerks that served me. The free card reader was only advertised for the 256 mb and 512 mb cards. Not the 1 gig card I bought......I had the evil within saying 'Oooo..... hello.....free shit.....just accept it....BEFORE THEY NOTICE THE MISTAKE!.....and exit! For which I did, with a big cheesy grin! biggrin_o.gif )

Very happy with it! Already flattened the set of batteries that came with it. (Pics weren't that great though..... Poor lighting conditions, and I was mainly playing with the functions for the sake of playing with the functions)

Now to charge up my Rechargeable batteries for the weekend!

Here's some of my better pics from thus far this weekend. Apart from resizing, they're as shot.

Some night shots from the opening ceremony.

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

Todays transport, my mates sweet Liberty RX.

DSCF0032.jpg

Glad it wasn't me at the wheel.

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

nice pictures there smile_o.gif i think the camera was worth the money wink_o.gif

I went to see one of my heroes, Jens Lekman perform live on friday. What a show smile_o.gif

On the way to the show

busride3bg.jpg

A letter to my hero

letter1fr.jpg

Jens Lekman on stage

jens5bh.jpg

During the song "Another sweet summers night on Hammer hill"

close6cx.jpg

I got up close to give Jens the letter, and to snap a few pictures

extraclosefiltered0zn.jpg

After the show

portraitfiltered1lc.jpg

And to round things off, a man smoking

smoker5bu.jpg

A few shots from todays action......

2005_0807Image0001.jpg

I love this shot below, because the two figures in the background at centre, are the bastard local plod.....And I'd get a real kick out of screaming past them and showering them in mud! nener.gif

2005_0807Image0011.jpg

2005_0807Image0041.jpg

2005_0807Image0165.jpg

2005_0807Image0115.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the camera! biggrin_o.gif .......

Now if only I was as pleased with the software package that came with it. Can anyone reccomend some good Editing Software?

Really nice pictures ozanzac! I especially like the second one, and the fourth one. Very cool! smile_o.gif

And as always, I'm gonna recommend Photoshop, or Paint Shop pro. And AFAIK your'e a student, so they shouldn't be too expensive if you get student rebates in Australia. Which I think my sister did when she was over there, and she wasn't even a student in Australia tounge2.gif

Really nice pictures ozanzac! I especially like the second one, and the fourth one. Very cool! smile_o.gif

And as always, I'm gonna recommend Photoshop, or Paint Shop pro. And AFAIK your'e a student, so they shouldn't be too expensive if you get student rebates in Australia. Which I think my sister did when she was over there, and she wasn't even a student in Australia tounge2.gif

Cheers, highly appreciated GoOB!

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro it is then. And yeah, you're right, I am a student, and yeah, we did get rebates....... until last year.

But that's OK, the Uni probably has something somewhere on it's servers, and I'm sure they'll let me 'borrow' it for my 'extra curricular' activities. wink_o.gif  tounge2.gif

In fact, one of my courses this semester is focused on Imaging Technology, so who knows what I'll have access too.

Great pictures ozanzac!

Anway, a few shots of a seagull.

eos22.jpg

eos23.jpg

eos24.jpg

eos25.jpg

Here are three Pictures from the Holidays in the Alps.

You can see the Mountain "Der Dachstein".

He is 3000 meters high with Glacier and summer skiing.

10001868hq.jpg

The cable railway station in 2700 meters.

10002150cb.jpg

The cable railway.

10002055dv.jpg

Anyone care to explain what various UV and other filters do? I've been searching the internet for info but I come up with lots of different stuff and a lot of it seems dated. What effect would it exactly have if used with my 350D?

Anyone care to explain what various UV and other filters do? I've been searching the internet for info but I come up with lots of different stuff and a lot of it seems. What effect would it exactly have if used with my 350D?

if you're using an expensive objective or if you just don't want to put the cap on your objective every 3rd second, you should buy a UV filter. it does not influence the picture (or not much at least), but it protects your (expensive) lens from scratches and dust. such a filter can be pretty expensive as well, depends on the diameter of the objective, but it is better to scratch the filter for 60€ than the objective for 400€...

there are lots of other filters, i have a catalogue here, i'll make a pic.

/edit: nah, i'll post some info: there are lots of filters, polarizing (circular), infrared, blah, damn... *lookingForInfo* ... ah here: link! smile_o.gif

Anyone care to explain what various UV and other filters do? I've been searching the internet for info but I come up with lots of different stuff and a lot of it seems. What effect would it exactly have if used with my 350D?

if you're using an expensive objective or if you just don't want to put the cap on your objective every 3rd second, you should buy a UV filter. it does not influence the picture (or not much at least), but it protects your (expensive) lens from scratches and dust. such a filter can be pretty expensive as well, depends on the diameter of the objective, but it is better to scratch the filter for 60€ than the objective for 400€...

/edit: nah, i'll post some info: there are lots of filters, polarizing (circular), infrared, blah, damn... *lookingForInfo* ... ah here: link! smile_o.gif

Why are there that many kinds and UV and infra red if its not much more then a fancy lenscap? crazy_o.gif There has to be more to it.

Why are there that many kinds and UV and infra red if its not much more then a fancy lenscap? crazy_o.gif There has to be more to it.

Have you read this?

Also, very nice pictures Gagamel! biggrin_o.gif

hm, no. you can get there filters for many different diameters and for differnet quality (analog, digital, high res, ...). just choose for example "UV" as type and 55mm as diameter: there are 7 different, but they all do the same (ok, the very expensive one (40€) can do some more things).

/edit: oops, i was only talking about UV filters. infra red is something totally different... wink_o.gif

Great photos Gagamel!  I like Denoir's last seagull shot too, they seem to be a bit more majestic than usual, these 'rats of the sky'.

I just returned from a 2000km roadtrip up Australia's south-east coast.  It's a shame the days are so short, otherwise I would have had a lot more time to visit places.  Once it gets dark there's nothing left to do but drive...

04.jpg

05.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

Earl. Wheres that last pic from ? I rember it from some time in my life

also. 2nd and 3rd pic, They from Apollo Bay ?

1. Nambucca Head

2. Byron Bay

3,4,5. Pacific Hwy scenic lookout directly before Byron Bay

6. Surfer's "Paradise".

Emerald Beach, just north of Coffs Harbour was also really nice but I didn't get as many nice photos there.  It would have been worth exploring more but i just arrived there before sunset.

Emerald Beach:

14.jpg

15.jpg