Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

High Dynamic Range Rendering/Imaging. Basically the same shot with different exposures giving the shot different exposures in different areas simultaneously, making the picture look more realistic. Many modern games have the same thing (i.e. Crysis, Source engines) to create more realistic shots.

Do you need a specific tool for that or can i.e. PS Elements 2 do it? And, apparently, is the trick done by f-numbers rather than with shutter times? huh.gif

Is this a similar process to Focus Stacking you think?

Lord V Tutorial

That's basically what I bought the lense for. For parties, concerts, and night shots. But it's also a higher quality lense (much sharper, faster and more precise af, better colors) than the regular kit lense - and having USM I can now manually adjust the focus - even though I'm in automatic mode: no more focusing on something in front when what I want is in the back (like behind a veil, bush, whatever), just because the auto focus thinks it knows better...

smile_o.gif

I was thinking about ordering a polar filter, but then I decided on a simple UV filter for a start. I want to get a feeling for this lense before I start complicating things by adding 'extras'. Anyways, I really like how some reflections turned out (especially on this, this and this picture).

You should ALWAYS have a filter of some kind on (usually a UV filter) to protect your actual lens glass. Much better to replace a scratched filter than replace a whole lens yes?

I have a circular polarisers for each of the lens sizes I use (52mm, 72mm, 77mm). I generally always use it for landscapes and outside portraits, but remember, because the effect changes with the angle of the sun, it makes sticthing panoramics together a real nightmare!

From last night .. Lunar eclipse ..the next like that in 2026!

three_phase_moon.jpg

The best I can with a Canon 28/135mm

intresting picture guys,nice to see people join and share the works,unfortunately I have no much time lately. confused_o.gif

cheers

Awesome moon shots aimpoint. I'm on the other side of the world and missed it...

Just finished another tour with The Blackseeds. Churning through selecting and editing the photos, so will post more soon.

Here are a few of my favourited from the first bunch I have got through...

I got up at 3.30 am ( not very rock and roll... the rest of the crew think I'm a total nutter...) to get back to this site I found a few years a go, but never had the oppurtunity to photograph on a clear morning... This is definately my favourite tree smile_o.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....308.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....opy.jpg

Pretty cheesy but I thought this looked kinda cool.

Bumble Bees are definately my favourite insect (just ahead of wetas and spiders)

I like the remote flash exposure on this one...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/chrisgee/Music/_GEE8208copy.jpg

More posts fromthis tour coming soon.

Tovarish: Excuse my ignorance... what is HDR? It looks kinds cool ( looks very cool, cold even, outside your lounge window...)

No problem, I just found out last week biggrin_o.gif. Basically it's a series of photos taken of the same subject at different exposures (keep aperture the same, change shutter speed). Usually about 5 images gives best results, say -4E, -2E, 0E, +2E, +4E. Then you need a specific tool to render the image as HDR (photoshop CS2, Photomatix)...I found an open source alternative that works well for me here.

And yes, it's freaking cold out, can't wait for spring so I can go out and take more pictures biggrin_o.gif.

Did come across this today, poor bastard's been waiting for his date forever. Valentine's was over half a month ago!

fatalattractionbythecubuw3.jpg

I was thinking about ordering a polar filter, but then I decided on a simple UV filter for a start.

You should ALWAYS have a filter of some kind on (usually a UV filter) to protect your actual lens glass. Much better to replace a scratched filter than replace a whole lens yes?

wink_o.gif

Dont worry, I'd NEVER use a lens without some kind of filter (first thing I did after opening the parcel was to attach the filter - even before fitting the lense to the body for the first time)! I think a good B+W UV filter is exactly the kind of thing you can leave on the lens and then just forget about - other filters (like the polar filter) can always be attached on top if need be.

BTW: great shots (as usual! ). When looking at the EXIF of this image I noticed the flash comment 'strobe return light detected'. Did you use a flash? 1/3 second at ISO 100 and f25 (even on f2.5) seems a bit short at early dawn!?

Edit: Couldn't resist to take some more reflection pics in the park today:

JB20070305_013.jpgJB20070305_014.jpg

I rotated them on their head to improve the effect - unfortunately Lightroom reveals that by automatically placing the watermark in relation to its original orientation... Ah, you can't have everything!

wink_o.gif

other filters (like the polar filter) can always be attached on top if need be.

BTW: great shots (as usual! ). When looking at the EXIF of this image I noticed the flash comment 'strobe return light detected'. Did you use a flash? 1/3 second at ISO 100 and f25 (even on f2.5) seems a bit short at early dawn!?

Its best to take the UV filter off before you put the CPol filter on... Too much glass in front of the lens will make exposure and autofocus difficult smile_o.gif

I forgot to turn the flash off, because I had just been taking this photo but with me standing to the right there (correctly exposed with lots of +3EV flash). The reason the shutter is so short was to underexpose the back ground behind me. In the end I prefered the images without me in them...

Re: your reflection shots... Cool smile_o.gif Try getting a tripod and taking a 3 second long exposure (might need an ND8 filter for this?) of the reflection. you might get some kind of real freaky effect.

I only put filters on when I need them and I have never scratched a single lens. Its not like I am carefull with my lenses, they get banged around light aircraft interiors quite a bit during turbulence and I take my camera to bars too (I drink too on those occasions). Perhaps I am just insanely lucky but my results in the lottery disprove that theory.

I only put filters on when I need them and I have never scratched a single lens. Its not like I am carefull with my lenses, they get banged around light aircraft interiors quite a bit during turbulence and I take my camera to bars too (I drink too on those occasions). Perhaps I am just insanely lucky but my results in the lottery disprove that theory.

Quite a lot of photographers I know dont use them either... Maybe I am just paranoid, but I have scratched a few filters... It is important to take all filters off when doing long exposures with frontal light sources, otherwise you get bad ghosting...

I've traditionally used my slr cameras almost exclusively while traveling (only recently, with the our new dslr, I started using it on other occasions, too), so I might be a bit paranoid there, too. But whether it's tramping in NZ, the beach or jungle of Mexico, dusty India, or just a day out in the park - simply the fact that it protects the lens from dirt (and in extreme cases scratching and other damage) was always enough reason for me to fit it.

Also a UV filter (or a sky filter when using film) prevents colors from looking washed out on very sunny days (or when you are somewhere where there's high UV intensity, like high up in the mountains), without being a problem under other circumstances (disregarding maybe some extreme situations). I've also done quite many long exposures with filter on and never had any ghosting troubles because of that - but then I never experienced purple fringing (not CA) either until lately.

I haven't had a UV filter fitted to any one of my lenses for any longer period of time. And like supah, I do tend to swing my camera around quite a bit. And I also despise the ugly "haze" I get in certain situations with lower quality UV-filters on my lenses. I do keep a lens hood mounted at all times, though.

However, I don't own very expensive glass... So I'm sure this will all change when I one day purchase something above the 400€ mark.

awesome shots of that tree with the water Killagee. Especially the 3rd one @ 10mm. What lens is that, the Sigma 10-20?

And g00b, I really liked those (crossprocessed?) portraits from a couple of pages back, that's good stuff man. smile_o.gif

normal_IMG_3644.jpg

getting connected (bigger)

When they said that nowadays kids grow up with the internet I never thought parents would take it so literaly... crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Nice shot!

Playing around some more with the wide apertures of my new 50/1.4:

JB20070307_013.jpg

larger image

Here is a bunch more photos...

More low light stuff ( I just love this big outdoors torch I borrowed from my friend to light up foregrounds...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....026.jpg

morning guys.

I've got a question:

I wanted to buy a good camera, so I thought about the Panasonic DMC FZ50. In my opinion that's a very good camera for semi-professionals.

Then my dad came up and said to me, that I should spent 200€ / 300€ more, for a Canon EOS 400D.

what do you think?

I need a camera for skateboard-photografy, also landscape pictures and object pictures.

Is it worth to spent 200€ / 300€ more on a real digital slr or would be a very good digital camera like the DMC FZ50 be enough?

...hope you understand what I want to say whistle.gif

I would go for an entry level DSLR mate smile_o.gif Maybe a D50? For good skate photography you will need a fast and wide zoom lens available. You camera system can stay with you for years, replaceing lenses, camera bodies and flashes as you grow. You need to pick a brand and stick with it... Personally, i'd go for Nikon... If its good enough for Paul Simon to write songs about its good enough for me...

http://www.nikonusa.com/templat....r=25216

thanks for your opinion smile_o.gif

actually I don't care if someone writes a song about a manufacturer/camera biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

I want high quality and a good price too.

I know that such DSLR isn't normally replaced after 2 years or so, so I think a cam like the Canon Eos 400D would do her job for years. then it's a good investment.

with every minute I think more about it I want the Eos tounge2.gif

I have a Canon T50 and a Minolta Dynax 3000i at home, so real oldskool kameras, both slr, both older than 18 years. the canon is dated 1984, and my grandpa still has the original bill. The Minolta is dated 1988. So real historic cameras biggrin_o.gif

I think it would be worth then to keep the "high standart" I have at home.

funny thing, the Canon Eos costs as much as my car rofl.gif

maybe I should say that I will print really good pictures on big papers like DIN A2 / DIN A3 format. So I do need some MegaPixels then don't I? (A friend has a photo shop and I get that big printings abit cheaper smile_o.gif )

edit 2:

just found out that the EOS 350D is almost as good as the 400D but cheaper and has just 8MegaPixel. but anyway good one too.

I'd say go either for the Canon EOS 400D or the Nikon equivalent (there's a brand new Nikon 10MP entry level model coming out soon). It's rather a matter of taste than of quality. With both manufacturers you have the possibility to upgrade the camera body later to a better model, and you can also choose from a wide range of high quality lenses. Just go to a shop or as friend who have one, try them and select the one you like better (handling, prize).

I recommend you go looking for an offer that replaces the original lens with a f2.8 lens (and maybe a better zoom) if you're going to do action photography.

I've been using a Canon SLR (EOS 300) for years now, and just switched over to a digital SLR (EOS 350D). I like the handling of the EOS series and I'm quite satisfied with the quality. The fact that I could use my old lenses on the new camera was a major factor in deciding for that model, too.

The point is once you decide for either a Canon or a Nikon (or a Pentax, etc.) it doesn't make much sense to switch again, but you can always go for a newer/better model (like a 30D instead of the 400D, etc.) once your skills improve - without having to buy new lenses (they are the most expensive part of your collection once you start going beyond the original kit lens).

Quote[/b] ]funny thing, the Canon Eos costs as much as my car
which probably says more about your car than the camera, eh!? wink_o.gif

I had the chance to test a Canon EOS 350D awhile back. I have to say it's really nice in all aspects.

If you say it's more a matter of taste, then I'd say I take the Canon one smile_o.gif

Sure I will not buy a great camera to sell it in 2 years then. I think it's the same with my 2 old slrs. You just keep them until you or the camera die. No worries my grandpa is still alive and my mom too wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The point is once you decide for either a Canon or a Nikon (or a Pentax, etc.) it doesn't make much sense to switch again, but you can always go for a newer/better model (like a 30D instead of the 400D, etc.) once your skills improve - without having to buy new lenses (they are the most expensive part of your collection once you start going beyond the original kit lens).

yup, you're right smile_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]which probably says more about your car than the camera, eh!? wink_o.gif

'96 seat ibiza 6k sxe, 75ps, 3 doors, has almost everything except air conditioning, but who needs that if you can lower windows wink_o.gif 187000km and still running fine smile_o.gif I drive the car for like 7000km now smile_o.gif

Thanks for your opinion, helped me much now, gotta tell my dad then, he's the one who lends me the bucks for a DSLR smile_o.gif

About 10 vs 8 mp ... tell me one thing, How often have you printed a picture at A3 size ? If the answer is never then you pbb dont need a 10mp camera over a 8 mp camera smile_o.gif