Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

Daddl - did you manage a trip walking up the fox glacier in the hob nail boots?

Daddl, those photos are realy great.  But I guess it is easy to take nice pictures if the landscape is already beautyful enough without having to manipulate the camera settings!   tounge2.gif

Did you change the shutter speed for the photo of the waterfall?

@Albert: I used only the P, Av & Tv seetings for taking images as I saved them as RAW only, the only manipulation I did to the images was a litle contrast strech on very dark images and then export and resize them. After the resizing I sharpened them a wee bit, to make them look as crispy as the originals.

As for the exposure time: you can check the EXIF info for the camera settings used, I preserved it when I exported the images to JPG. For the mountain stream (I think you mean the image with the water flowing around the stones) I reduced the shutter speed to 1/25 sec.

@Messiah: we brought our own hiking boots, as we planned (and did) quite a few more walks than just the one onto the glacier. As long as your boots are sturdy enough to fit ice cramps there's no need to wear the boots they supply.

sounds good - we went with the boots they supply and they were truely awful tounge2.gif

looks like you had fun... no whale watching at Kaikora?

sounds good - we went with the boots they supply and they were truely awful tounge2.gif

looks like you had fun... no whale watching at Kaikora?

No, unfortunately not. We only had a few days for the south island as we had to attend a friends wedding and then decided to spend the rest of our time on the north island.

Here's a pic of the wedding guests:

IMG_1333.jpg

smile_o.gif

wow... possibly the most colourful wedding you'll ever see smile_o.gif

shame you only had a few days there - I spent 2 weeks there and still don't think I saw nearly enough of the place.

Sole and Deadmeat both have a Sigma 70something-300 on their camera's and they seem pretty chuffed with it smile_o.gif

I may have been chuffed with my 70-300 a while ago, but the SLOW autofocus and quite soft images at the long range are bugging me. Same story as your old 170-500 basicly wink_o.gif

Not using that lens much anyway, only bought it for aircraft photography, which I don't do much, if at all tounge2.gif

Sole and Deadmeat both have a Sigma 70something-300 on their camera's and they seem pretty chuffed with it smile_o.gif

I may have been chuffed with my 70-300 a while ago, but the SLOW autofocus and quite soft images at the long range are bugging me. Same story as your old 170-500 basicly wink_o.gif

Not using that lens much anyway, only bought it for aircraft photography, which I don't do much, if at all tounge2.gif

i wonder if that isnt the same lens as i bought...

Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG APO macro

damnit killagee... you must give me some advice on consert photography!

what should i think about when taking photos of a consert?

i wonder if that isnt the same lens as i bought...

Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG APO macro

Yup, and its the same story here - the lens is "great" but its sloooow and has an annoying tendancy to "hunt" through the focal range, going from one extreme to the other before finding its focus.

Ho hum, we shall see how it performs at the airshows this summer...

Just need to save up the cash for the canon equivalent...

Some class stuff here, keep up the good work everyone! smile_o.gif

killagee: Hope you enjoyed the trip to europe and that the D200 is working well for you. Did you get the batterygrip?

5edsc594401syu7.jpg

I was bored in the school darkroom today, so I copied some X-processed colour slide film onto B&W paper producing quite steep contrast. This is a paper original "scanned" with my D200.

You need to let the most light you can into the camera! Always use your largest aperture availiable (smallest number), get your shutter speed as fast as you can to freeze the action, spot meter off the brightest point (if the lighting guy is doing this job that will be the face), pull your exposure compensation back -1ev too...

Hope this helps?

Goob: Yeah I got the battery grip, quite important because the D200 chews through the power...

Great people photo as always goob.

Man, the photography is getting good in here eh! Very impressed with Daddl's images above. Has he posted here before?

Just need to save up the cash for the canon equivalent...

1499 euro's left to go? wink_o.gif You might save money on a cheaper lens but if 90% of your pictures can go straight into the bin because of it its a bit naff. The troubles Sole descrides remind me of my old lens big time. Super bad autofocus though the term auto-f*ckus which a pilot buddy of mine invented is more accurate.

Hey Supah

I have a few airshows coming up... Do you think I will get away with a 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4x converter (120-300 F4) as my main zoom lens?...

I know you love the 100-500 Sigmonster, but isnt that too slow at 500mm (f5.6)... How do you keep the shutter speed high enough to avoid camera shake?

Maybe I should get a 2x converter?

You need to let the most light you can into the camera! Always use your largest aperture availiable (smallest number), get your shutter speed as fast as you can to freeze the action, spot meter off the brightest point (if the lighting guy is doing this job that will be the face), pull your exposure compensation back -1ev too...

Hope this helps?

Goob: Yeah I got the battery grip, quite important because the D200 chews through the power...

Great people photo as always goob.

Man, the photography is getting good in here eh! Very impressed with Daddl's images above. Has he posted here before?

yeah, thanks... helps a lot....

guess i should go for "auto ISO" setting too then....

or just cramp it to ISO 800 or something...

If your camera is noise free then go for 800 smile_o.gif Since I use Nikon I cant really go over 400 without getting problems... sad_o.gif

If your camera is noise free then go for 800 smile_o.gif Since I use Nikon I cant really go over 400 without getting problems... sad_o.gif

nope, same here....

guess i should buy a 50 f1.4 lens for it...

or maybe "just" a 50 f1.8 lens as that is a little cheaper.....

you got any recomendations for a replacement lens similar to the kit 18-55 lens?

someone told me that the Sigma 17-70 lens is quite good... but it´s expensive.... (atleast i think it is)

Aye, that's the only slight problem I have with it... That and that I have to put it down when I go to bed at night tounge2.gif

@the_shadow; My tip when using high ISO values is to shoot RAW format, I hardly never do it.. Unless going over ISO 800. With RAW-files I retain fine details all the way up to my D200's ISO ~ 2500 setting, this assuming I do well at the moment of exposure. Assuming you get the exposure correct too, your D50 should do just fine at ISO 1600 smile_o.gif

100% crop of D200 @ ISO 1600

100% crop of D200 @ ISO 2500

Sorry about turning this post into a techie-thing, silly me. To make up for it I'll post this (which is taken at ISO 1250 BTW tounge2.gif):

rulltrappasdt9.jpg

meh I've never kept an image that was shot at over 200ISO :S Can't say your camera does much better then mine at high ISO numbers though. I don't like human and action photography in low light much though, I love working with tripods etc. smile_o.gif My most wanted improvement for canon's next new camera is a 48 ISO setting.

nope, same here....

guess i should buy a 50 f1.4 lens for it...

or maybe "just" a 50 f1.8 lens as that is a little cheaper.....

you got any recomendations for a replacement lens similar to the kit 18-55 lens?

someone told me that the Sigma 17-70 lens is quite good... but it´s expensive.... (atleast i think it is)

Crikey Goob... When I get home I am going to try the Hi- iso stuff too... I always shoot in RAW anyway...

the_shadow: The Nikon 50mm f1.8 is awesome! and cheap smile_o.gif the f1.4 will be faster of course, but whether that stop or two justifies the extra expense I'm not sure...

I would go for the 18-200VR... Its expensive but it does a real good job of covering the workload usually taken by three lenses... and VR is cool smile_o.gif

If ya cant afford that then I have heard good things about the sigma 17-70 too...

Thank you very much! I only got the Canon 350D last autnum (I think I posted some pictures around then) and had little oportunity to do much with it (although I must say that I've had a Canon EOS 300 for many years before, so SLR photography wasn't that new to me). And I quite like taking pictures, but time seldom permits.

I really used my vacacion for getting to know the camera and it also was the first time I used RAW format for recording, which together really paid off. Visiting a place that's as beautiful and photogenic as NZ helps quite a bit, of course! smile_o.gif

The only thing that really bugged me was the lense - I also took my old Tamron 28-200mm with me on the trip, but somehow all images went blurry (probably have to send it in for repairs), so I quickly stuck to the kit lense (Canon EF-S 18-55) only. It's quite a good lense, but often I could have killed for a bigger zoom.