Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

took a quick shot at the moon this morning...

mne_mini.jpg

actually, i took about 23 shots, but they are all the same :P

i have thought.... maybe everyone should start writing what camera was used, and if possible, what settings...

like the "addons used" in the combat photo threads in the OFP and ArmA forums smile_o.gif

in my case, i used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 and had pretty much set on auto...

Then it becomes a pissing contest about cameras and not about taking nice photos.

You don't ask people to post their computer specs at the end of every post in the OFP Combat Photo thread for this reason.

I have no intention of saying what camera I'm using.

That's a good point, you might be right, but perhaps it's better as an option rather than a rule smile_o.gif

As long as you're using "decent" photo editing software, the EXIF info should remain intact for the image, which stores all the info you'd ever need wink_o.gif

polaroidmisslyckad2slf0.jpg

Messed about with some polaroid 600 film today... It was the wrong film for my Polaroid camera so I ripped the filmpack apart and started experimenting. The above image is the result. Shot with a D70s and a Lensbaby 2.0 with a "homemade" f/9 disc.

'homemade' F/9 disc? Did you put some chewing gum inside the F/8 disc? tounge2.gif

Interesting picture though goob, polaroids are always fun. smile_o.gif

I was hoping I could post some reasonable photos of the Razorlight gig I went to last Wednesday, but I was 'stolen' from good pictures as there was a monitor right in front of me (on an allready high stage). That wasn't the only factor though, I was playing around too much with settings instead of just using the settings I normally use for gigs.

Also somewhat photography related: I'm currently hogging the mailbox, the flash unit I ordered should be arriving today biggrin_o.gif

Then it becomes a pissing contest about cameras and not about taking nice photos.

You don't ask people to post their computer specs at the end of every post in the OFP Combat Photo thread for this reason.

I have no intention of saying what camera I'm using.

you dont have to name camera, just look at the pics "KFD" data and that will tell all? whistle.gif

Depends on if people make it one... Personally i don't give a rats ass if a picture was taken with a 30.000 quid digital or a 1Å toycam, but sometimes it's nice for people to know what camera and what settings you used so they can try to acheive similar things, and learn something from your pictures. But hey, each to their own smile_o.gif

Meanwhile, got some proper film for the Polaroid today, here are the results:

polaroidsv1swa2.jpg

Some dude sitting on a chair.

polaroidsv3svd5.jpg

Christmas shoppers in SoFo (Stockholms SoHo)

polaroidsv2snm6.jpg

The escalators in the tube station at Zinkensdamm, Stockholm.

polaroidsvsgi8.jpg

A café which has an excellent toilet facility, which I made good use of.

The camera used to shoot the polaroids was a EE 100 Special loaded with 667 polaroid film. My "scanner" for the night is a Nikon D70s with a 50mm @ f/1,8.... It's quite funny that the Lensbaby produces similar results to one of the sharpest lenses on the market.

This holiday season I'm looking into getting a start in photography. I'm not really looking for a dSLR, but more of a step up from the point and shoot cameras. I noticed this Powershot S3 IS respectively placed in between the dSLRs and the less expensive cameras. I'm just wondering if it would be a good camera to get some good shots of sports in my town and take on a trip to Germany?

I wonder if any of you guys could give me your opinion on a camera like that and maybe some other suggestions, because I trust your opinions a lot more than the 18 year old's trying to sell me any camera at the store smile_o.gif

Well depends on what kind of sports you want to photograph smile_o.gif If its soccer then you will need a long lens because the field is big, if its table tennis then you wont need as much magnification. It looks reasonable smile_o.gif

How about plane "spotting" in airshows (RIAT, Flying Legends etc.)? Would a "superzoom automatic" be enough for such job? Thinking about getting an SLR for UK trip next summer (and for general use, too), but they cost quite a lot.

huh.gif

How about plane "spotting" in airshows (RIAT, Flying Legends etc.)? Would a "superzoom automatic" be enough for such job? Thinking about getting an SLR for UK trip next summer (and for general use, too), but they cost quite a lot.

huh.gif

Well depending on what you mean by superzoom automatic really. For action aviation photography, that means photographing the airplanes in flight, you will need atleast a 300mm lens otherwise you will end up with lots of sky and little airplanes in your pictures. On the flight line or static display you can do with a 28-100something lens. If you go out and by a DSLR I would inform myself about getting either Nikon or Canon because once you start buying lenses etc. you are sorta stuck to what ever platform you choose smile_o.gif

With "superzoom automatic" I mean cameras like the one mentioned above. That offer greater optical zoom than normal "pocket digis". Had my handy 4 Mpix pocket camera in Paris, but trying to shoot an Eurofighter Typhoon from 200-300m at 3x zoom while the lense is pocketsize (~20mm)... crazy_o.gif

Although I guess I'll try to get an used 350D or something from my contacts... whistle.gif 600€ really doesn't leave much choise, tho'. confused_o.gif

With "superzoom automatic" I mean cameras like the one mentioned above. That offer greater optical zoom than normal "pocket digis". Had my handy 4 Mpix pocket camera in Paris, but trying to shoot an Eurofighter Typhoon from 200-300m at 3x zoom while the lense is pocketsize (~20mm)... crazy_o.gif

Although I guess I'll try to get an used 350D or something from my contacts... whistle.gif  600€ really doesn't leave much choise, tho'. confused_o.gif

If 600 Euros is your entire budget then yes it is going to be tough to get something nice. Look for a 300D on Ebay with a cheap 300 mm lens. Its still quite a capable camera, ask Deadmeat smile_o.gif He bought one and I think he is quite happy with it.

i have a camera that is very similar to the S3....

and i can say, it´s not great at airshows... even with 12X zoom planes still tend to be too far away to get any really good shots...

last time i photographed a plane it was almost on top of me, and first of all i had really hard time to follow it, and second of all, i just got a very small plane on a very big picture, even with maximum zoom...

a DSLR with a good lens is to recomend, however, i cant really afford it myself, if i did i would have bought one already wink_o.gif

just for air displays biggrin_o.gif

Hey all

Love the Polaroid pics Goob smile_o.gif

Hey Supah, I'm planning a mission to RIAT(england), MAKS (russia)and Avalon (Aus) Airshows next year (call it a mid-life crisis if you want, I can take it...), and I want to get some Airhow photography hints off ya... I like your aviation shots...

What other good airshows would you reccomend in europe between June and September 2007?

Do you reckon a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR + 1.4x Converter or a Sigma 50-500mm?

All I have at the moment is a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM + 1.4x Converter...

Didnt have my good zoom lens when I took these, but I drove past Whenuapai Airbase the other day and found a bit of action...

757.jpg

OrionHeadonLAND.jpg

OrionShowerLAND.jpg

Skytowerwatersports.jpg

And this is my new car smile_o.gif not bad for NZ$2000 eh...

MyCar.jpg

I like the cleararity of the moon, the shadow. Think about it...in approximately 16 years, the US will have a base there...:O

Hey Supah, I'm planning a mission to RIAT(england), MAKS (russia)and Avalon (Aus) Airshows next year (call it a mid-life crisis if you want, I can take it...), and I want to get some Airhow photography hints off ya... I like your aviation shots...

What other good airshows would you reccomend in europe between June and September 2007?

Do you reckon a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR + 1.4x Converter or a Sigma 50-500mm?

All I have at the moment is a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM + 1.4x Converter...

Didnt have my good zoom lens when I took these, but I drove past Whenuapai Airbase the other day and found a bit of action...

Well 200mm is going to be to less in any case. If a convertor is a good idea is up to your own judgement really. What shutterspeeds do you get with it at maximum focal length on a day with a few broken clouds about? If that's something like 1/150 then it might be a bit of a problem. The best thing to do is get a good position early on in the day. Prefferably where you photograph the aircraft as they taxi out to the ORP and during their show. Try to avoid the idiots with their little ladders, they will ruin your chances for photography. Failing that, bring a bigger ladder :P Prepare for a long wait etc. bring food, something to drink and Sunscreen. Don't change lenses when there is an aircraft running in front of you or you will end up with a camera full of sand and grass. For pictures of the planes flying I would say get as big a lens as you can. I have a Canon 100-400 L IS USM for these kinds of shots, lends itsself very nicely for detailshots when aircraft are holding for take off too smile_o.gif So basically

1. Bring a Big Lens.

2. Be there early to avoid the stepladder crowd (their idiots)

3. Find a good position on the display line prefferably also near a taxitrack.

4. Do the static display at the end of the day once the flying has ended.

5. Bring sunscreen and something to drink because despite of what you hear of english summers once you decide you are going to skip stuff like that because "It will rain anyway" it will throw a scorcher at you.

At RIAT it pays to be there a few days before the show starts. There are like three days before the airshow when all the planes arrive which gives you a nice chance to take some shots of the planes coming into land. I have some nice slides of backfires landing at Fairford due to this biggrin_o.gif I don't know where it will be held this year but try to make reservations early because all hotels and bed and breakfasts will be sold out. Last year at duxford I just flew there with some guys from my flying club and we just camped on a nearby airfield. Best arrangement ever though flying all the way from NZ in a GA Aircraft might not be an option. Being there a couple of days early also allows you sometime to see a bit of the countryside, have some drinks with the locals and have some fun smile_o.gif About the Russian airshows, I'd be very carefull there. I see a lot of pictures of flankers and fulcrums crashing into crowds and their almost all taken at Russian airshows. MAKS will probably be a bit more well organised but some of the back water shows are just downright dangerous. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures next summer! biggrin_o.gif

Hehee, nice pics all... ummm, Earl, around Florida, maybe? tounge2.gif

Yeah, I was planning the dSLR for RIAT (meet ya there, killagee wink_o.gif) too. Infact, if budget allows, I'll be spending the whole Flying Legends - RIAT week in UK. Now that I noticed that I actually have a mere 400€ to use, I've thought about going the "other way", which basically allows me enough money to buy a EOS 1DS Mk II if I'd like... but yeah. Maybe 400D is enough? Couple of 1GB memory cards, few extra batteries (maybe a "battery handle"?) and a 300mm (which, according to certain rather respected magazine is in effect about 450mm btw) or so lense.