blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

I just bought myself a Canon EOS 300D for Å270, it included:

- Canon EFS 18~55mm

- Original Canon remote control RC-1

- 1Gb CF Card

- High quality padded camera bag

Should arrive tomorrow, I can't wait! biggrin_o.gif

I considered the Nikon D50 but its a little more pricey.

Awesome pics SniperUK and Aimpoint! smile_o.gif

060906-nattgang-01.jpg

8 sec exposure, holding the camera in my hands.

060906-nattgang-02.jpg

I was gonna catch the moon, saw it a few hours earlier, big and in company of little puffy clouds. When I got out it was cloudy.

Great pics all, looking good biggrin_o.gif

Having been offline for a month (moving house and whatnot) I've been out and about with the camera in my new village. Anyho, less talk more pictures biggrin_o.gif

normal_Img_2220.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2233.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2240.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2273.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2321.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2348.jpg

Bigger

to be cont...

normal_Img_2383.jpg

Bigger

I've also gained two "pet" Swans, which live on the stretch of canal outside my house. They're pretty tame, and will take food out of my hands (although they did take a few weeks to get to that stage)

normal_Img_2110.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2146.jpg

Bigger

This one is a bit out of focus, but I just love it too much, his quizical pose and shaking his tail was just too good to delete smile_o.gif

normal_Img_2168.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2354.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2360.jpg

Bigger

hehe Love img2321.jpg! "No fish allowed beyond this point"

Heheh, yeah, good stuff biggrin_o.gif

On my way to my new house, I stopped at RAF Syerston, which is now the Central Gliding School for the Air Cadets.

A Grob Vigilant T.1 takes off infront of one of the two old Jaguar GR.1's they have at Syerston

normal_Img_1820.jpg

Bigger

The Vigilant clears the caravan and landrovers (they fly conventional gliders too, and the Landrovers are used as tugs)

normal_Img_1828.jpg

Bigger

A Viking T.1 lands as the Vigilant takes off

normal_Img_1839.jpg

Bigger

The old WW2 control tower, which is now used by the civil aviation at Syerston

normal_Img_1845.jpg

Bigger

A Viking going up on the winch

normal_Img_1869.jpg

Bigger

And a Vigilant on approach over the hedges

normal_Img_1879.jpg

Bigger

And "about" to touchdown with the other Jaguar in the background

normal_Img_1886.jpg

Bigger

A Viking snuck up on me on its approach to land

normal_Img_1893.jpg

Bigger

And going overhead

normal_Img_1902.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1927.jpg

Bigger

biggrin_o.gif

(Thats it while I process the next lot of pictures tounge2.gif )

i guess i'll have to get a butt load of pictures from when i go gliding biggrin_o.gif

I hate Vigilants, so cramped inside.

Amen to that, all the Grob aircraft are too small for my liking, I did my first 2 years on SA Bulldogs, switching to the Grob Tutors after that was painful...

Ahh well, win some lose some

Nice pics all!

Deadmeat, how to you find the EOs 300d? Mine is arriving tomorrow - hopefully, damn royal mail! biggrin_o.gif

Nice pics all!

Deadmeat, how to you find the EOs 300d? Mine is arriving tomorrow - hopefully, damn royal mail! biggrin_o.gif

Fantastic.

I'd recommend getting a battery grip for it, not only does it double the battery life (I've wandered around for a full day - 8am till 10pm without killing batteries) it also makes the camera much more comfortable to use. Sure its heavier, but its easier and more confortable to hold.

Other than that, you're good to go. You may find yourself wanting some more lenses, but what they are depends on what you want to shoot. Go out, get used to it, and read the manuals - they are handy.

Most of all, enjoy it biggrin_o.gif

I hate Vigilants, so cramped inside.

Amen to that, all the Grob aircraft are too small for my liking, I did my first 2 years on SA Bulldogs, switching to the Grob Tutors after that was painful...

Ahh well, win some lose some

Sorry for the OTness, but I have to disagree. The Tutor had a really comfy cockpit smile_o.gif

Yup, England it is. And a very beautiful small village too, theres plenty of them around, you've just got to find them smile_o.gif

Its a Canal not a river (manmade and isn't tidal) but what "holes" are you refering to?

On the edge between the grass and the water.

if you mean the right hand side, there are no holes there, its just concrete piles that have a similiar facade to a castle rapart, i.e. it has two different alternating levels as it goes along.

iNeo - there are actually "storm" drains which drain into the canal - they take all the water from the roads around the village into the "cut" I'll go out tomorrow and take pictures of the wiers and overspills which prevent flooding.

Messy - Close, but its steel shuttering. They do use concrete but not around my place.

iNeo - there are actually "storm" drains which drain into the canal - they take all the water from the roads around the village into the "cut" I'll go out tomorrow and take pictures of the wiers and overspills which prevent flooding.

Messy - Close, but its steel shuttering. They do use concrete but not around my place.

aaah, couldnt quite tell from the picture... same job, different day biggrin_o.gif

the canal through oxford isnt that pretty, unless you have a fondness for floating beer cans and shopping trolleys icon_rolleyes.gif

We get our fair share of beercans, trust me confused_o.gif

Anyho, on with the pictures

Locks at Stoke Bruerne (you have to go through a 2 mile tunnel to get there from Blisworth - Pics later)

normal_Img_2389.jpg

Bigger

The oldest canals in the UK date back to the 1700's, the Grand Union was built during the mid 19th Century

normal_Img_2393.jpg

Bigger

Although the gates are replaced regularly (every 20 years or so) they still rely on 19th century technology, so the lock gates tend to leak a lo

normal_Img_2397.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2413.jpg

Bigger

The bottom lock on a flight of 7. The locks change the level of the canal by about 17m over their length at Stoke Bruerne

normal_Img_2488.jpg

Bigger

Ofcourse, other modes of transport have since surpassed the Canals

normal_Img_2500.jpg

Bigger

Filling a lock via the gate paddles (you're not supposed to open them until they are submerged, but meh tounge2.gif )

normal_Img_2537.jpg

Bigger

When the water level in the pounds (the stretch of water between the locks) is high, the bottom gates tend to wier like so:

normal_Img_2558.jpg

Bigger

And some gate gear

normal_Img_2565.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_2572.jpg

Bigger

As to the afore mentioned tunnel, rather than routing the canal around the hills, it was often easier (sounds odd, I know) to tunnel through. So in 1793 they started digging. Read more about it here.

Anyho, it was refurbished in the late 70's/early 80's and is now open to boat traffic.

The middle 1/3 of the tunnel had to be re-lined, and an example of the liner sits on the bank at the southern tunnel entrance

normal_Img_2610.jpg

Bigger

(Dont be fooled, that ring is 12 feet/3.6m in diameter)

And the commemorative plaques at the tunnel mouth

normal_Img_2615.jpg

Bigger

I havent taken any pictures inside the tunnel as the roof "leaks" (rainwater percolates through the ground and drips into the tunnel) and I dont want to risk damaging my camera, that and its hella dark inside...