Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

Lovely shots as usuall killagee, I wish I knew how to do landscape shots properly, even the disposable gave you a great shot! smile_o.gif

Too bad about the camera by the way, I feel the pain of seeing it drop into the water... I hope you get a replacement real soon, maybe a D200 eh? wink_o.gif

Awesome shots as usual Killagee, really impressive stuff. Shame about the camera tho, lucky you had insurance eh.

Seeing as everyone else is Macro'ing small creatures...

This guy flew in the window last night, and has been resting all day, only when he started flying round did I notice he'd done the moth thing and burnt a big chunk out of one of his wings confused_o.gif

normal_Img_1608.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1614.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1615.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1616.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1619.jpg

Bigger

And yeah, my uni house needs a clean, but what do I care nener.gif

Deadmeat, you're telling me that you got

Quote[/b] ]Canon EOS 300D

Canon EF-S 18-55 USM

2 x Canon Batteries

Canon BG-E1 Battery Grip

Hoya UV filter

Hoya Circular Polarising Filter

SanDisk 128Mb CF

All the usual cables, booklets, CD's boxes etc

Unbranded Gadget Bag

(All 2nd hand)

Sigma 70-300 DG Macro APO

Tamrac 6 Camera Bag

2x SanDisk Ultra II 1Gb CF

Tripod and Monopod

Cleaning Kit

All for less than 1000€?? Sorry but I'm having difficulty here lowering this eyebrow, it just won't seem to go down!

For a start, a SanDisk 1gig CF card (btw is it Ultra 2?) will cost you (here at least) around 50€

A Sigma 70-300 DG macro APO will definitely not cost less than 300€

Hoya circular polarising filter here costs about 40€

UV filter around 20€

Canon EF-S 18-55 USM( !! ) definitely no less than 400€

Do the maths, it doesn't add up. And if you got ALL that kit, for less than 1000€, then you're DAMN lucky, but you shouldn't go around telling people to buy an EOS300D just because you got an almost unreal deal on one. If you want to get into DSLR photography, it's no use getting below-average equipment, any self-respecting photographer will tell you that you should TRY and start with at least the current low-end available equipment, nothing less.

A Sigma 70-300 DG macro APO will definitely not cost less than 300€

A Sigma 70-300 DG macro APO will definitely not cost more than €250

I got mine for €215. €230 is the normal price for the 70-300 APO DG icon_rolleyes.gif

Canon EF-S 18-55 USM( !! ) definitely no less than 400€

Sure you don't mean €40? icon_rolleyes.gif the EF-S 18-55 USM was the kitlens for the 300D. The MKII of the EF-S 18-55 USM goes for about €90 brand new. Funnily detail: the silver 350D gets supplied with the 18-55 USM II, while the black 350D gets supplied with the 18-55 non-USM II.

Anyways, something to contribute to the thread:

normal_IMG_0402.jpg

Larger version

normal_IMG_0459.jpg

Larger version

normal_IMG_0536.jpg

Larger version

normal_IMG_0555.jpg

Larger version

it's no use getting below-average equipment

The 300D is by NO means below-average equipment. Its only one step below the 350D in terms of resolution ability, and infact has a less noisy sensor due to the fact it has 2 million less photo detectors squished onto its sensor. The 300D is MORE than adequate for people STARTING dSLR photography. Buying new equipment by no means makes you a professional, especially when its not even the professional level equipment wink_o.gif

Ok, yeah I appreciate I bagged an awesome deal on my 300D, BUT having been watching ebay sales of 300D's for a month or two before buying mine, I can say that you are MUCH better off buying a 300D as a starter. You can get one from ebay with one or two lenses (ok, you probably wont be lucky enough to get USM lenses, but still) and a bunch of accessories (tripods, camera bags, battery grips etc) for around Å400/€600/$750 which is what you'd pay for the 350D BODY alone.

Its an excellent camera, as can be seen here. And provides larger image resolutions than the "casual" or amateur user is ever going to need, and as you can see from that comparison the 350D only offers a few advantages over the 300D. And no offense, but I really cant see any difference in the "quality" between your 350D shots and my 300D shots, so whats to justify the extra money?

All I'm saying, is that in terms of value for money for the starter, the 300D is unbeatable from ebay at the moment.

Oh, and here's my price breakdown of that kit:

Canon EOS 300D

Canon EF-S 18-55 USM

2 x Canon Batteries

Canon BG-E1 Battery Grip

Hoya UV filter

Hoya Circular Polarising Filter

SanDisk 128Mb CF

All the usual cables, booklets, CD's boxes etc

Unbranded Gadget Bag

Å365 from ebay

Sigma 70-300 DG Macro APO

Å155 new, standard price

Tamrac 6 Camera Bag

Å35 new, standard price

2x SanDisk Ultra II 1Gb CF

@Å22 each new, Å44 total

Tripod and Monopod

Å56 for the pair, new, standard price

Cleaning Kit

Å10

Which, as I'm sure you'll agree, comes to Å665, and at current exchange rates thats €985 smile_o.gif

[Edit] Yup, and thats the beauty of not buying brand spanking new, "top of the range" prosumer equipment, you can get some excellent deals [/Edit]

Well I'll be damned sad_o.gif

Nice job on finding that deal wow_o.gif

I don't understand how you paid 22 quid for your Ultra2 CFs though huh.gif

I paid 65€ for mine, brand new, from a huge electronics chain of shops which is known for it's below-average pricing huh.gifhuh.gif

And this was what... Just under 2 months ago? sad_o.gif

I'll admit that my eyes turned to $s when I read USM. I didnt know you could get them for that price, I haven't seen any in the USM range going for less than 300. But watch out for the EF-S range. That -S bit is bad news. It's the cheaper version of the EF series, and the connecting ring is made of plastic, as opposed to metal, so it's best suited for people who don't really change lenses very often.

I don't understand how you paid 22 quid for your Ultra2 CFs though

The wonders of Internet Shopping

Although it has gone up to Å24 now, but what can you do thumbs-up.gif

artsyssu2.jpg

Chinon CE4 with Fuji Provia 100F, which was expired IIRC.

PS mumbojumbo; curves, resize and the little white frame-thing.

I didnt know you could get them for that price, I haven't seen any in the USM range going for less than 300. But watch out for the EF-S range. That -S bit is bad news. It's the cheaper version of the EF series, and the connecting ring is made of plastic, as opposed to metal, so it's best suited for people who don't really change lenses very often.

EF-S lenses are the lenses specificly made for APS-C format Canon dSLR's (with a 1.6 cropfactor, like the 350D and 30D) and has nothing to do with the (build) quality. The S stands for Short back focus. The only drawback of EF-S is that they are not compatible with full frame cameras (like the 5D and those top of the line 1D's)

[edit] intresting shot goob, is that your face multi exposed on that wall?

the connecting ring is made of plastic, as opposed to metal, so it's best suited for people who don't really change lenses very often.

Seriously, that's a pretty big load of BS. I have owned EF-S lenses and none of them had a back ring made out of plastic. It might have a coating but trust me that is metal there. Also like sole siad the S doesnt mean their cheap knock off's. Their just not compatible with full frame camera's.

I hope you get a replacement real soon, maybe a D200 eh? wink_o.gif

Um... Yes... hehe. It should be arriving today...

Some really nice shots Ranger Bob though the picture of the cat statue feels a bit out of place, it's so horribly Kitsch compared to your beautifull landscape shots.

Some pictures taken at a festival with the mobile phone, the first two in drunkenness and the wilderness just by the stage, so the quality isn't great.

Thyrfing, Swedish viking metal band

060807-1.jpg

060807-2.jpg

Lumsk, Norwegian viking/folk metal band (Note the violin)

060807-3.jpg

060807-4.jpg

Hello

060730baland.jpg

Poked around Uni with the camera again today. Weather wasnt great had a few sunny patches, but too dark for the Polarising Filter really...

normal_Img_1624.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1638.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1660.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1672.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1674.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1677.jpg

Bigger

I have to climb that lot every day during term time, on the plus side it is pretty much the only exercise I get at the mo tounge2.gif

cont...

This is our lab, the "Games Lab" which is exclusively for students on my course, has a nice little swipe card entry system to keep the riff raff out tounge2.gif

normal_Img_1683.jpg

Bigger

Its a bit of a mess at the mo, its in the process of being tidied up and having all the PC's re-imaged. Theres 64 PC's in there, and they are all spec'd as follows

normal_Img_1686.jpg

All the PC's have (err, HAD) little rubber feet on them, being the nerds that we are, a little "grafiti" was in order:

normal_Img_1687.jpg

normal_Img_1688.jpg

Bigger

tounge2.gif

Nice view of the Cathedral from the bridge that joins the two halves of our Campus together

normal_Img_1700.jpg

Bigger

And the Castle

normal_Img_1709.jpg

Bigger

cont...

And the bridge

normal_Img_1721.jpg

Bigger

We're having a new SU built at the mo, so theres a LOT of construction work going on

normal_Img_1724.jpg

Bigger

Now, does the Science Building REALLY need that sign pointing to it crazy_o.gif

normal_Img_1739.jpg

Bigger

Bridge that joins the old SU and Halls of Residence

normal_Img_1746.jpg

Bigger

And thats aboot it for now biggrin_o.gif

Some pics from my flying lesson yesterday, flying from Hoogeveen to Ameland (island of the coast) and back.

PH-VES.jpg

The plane I was flying smile_o.gif A 1982 Cessna C-172 Skyhawk with a TDI Diesel engine.

ph-too.jpg

Mildly funny aircraft reg I came across at Ameland

the_freedom_and_individuality_of_camping.jpg

Ah yes camping! The Freedom! The open air! O wait scratch that!

boot.jpg

A sailing boat making its way back to harlingen, lots of these start of the century vessels do charters with german schookids etc. to the islands smile_o.gif

droogvallen.jpg

Sometimes people intentionally beach their boats on the tidal flats and camp out. I had another shot that was way better but it had some unintentional nudity.

oerolart.jpg

Concentric circlesin the sands of the beach of terschelling made for a performing arts festival named Oerol. Apparently it was visible from space smile_o.gif I went there too, met a really cool australian sheila from Perth. Crazy as a bat though!

sandbars.jpg

Some sandbars typical of the waddensea in the north of the netherlands.

sexbierum.jpg

And offcourse no typicall small frisian village would be complete without a big ass glass pyramid!

Also recently I've found a new hobby, trainspotting! But none of the other trainspotters wants to be my friend! mad_o.gif They all say I am not taking it seriously enough!

trainspotting.jpg

Awesome pics Supah! I wish i could learn to fly but I am not allowed (colour blind confused_o.gif ).

Some good architectural angles there Deadmeat smile_o.gif

My D200 is supposed to be turning up today... Cant wait. I am heading off for a tour of Japan with a band (Blindspott) tomorrow, so if it doesnt turn up today I am screwed... I have had to hire a speedlight and travel lens to replace the 18-70mm and SB600 that went into the water with my camera... good cheap deal thanks to www.nikonhire.com smile_o.gif

Hopefully I will have some cool new pics from my new camera when I get back on the 19th of August. Till then... Behave yourselves you hear!

So there you are Supah, learning to fly... And you're taking photos... Is that in the final exam? tounge2.gif

Thanks Killagee, hope you have a nice stay in japan and I am looking forward to seeing the pictures smile_o.gif

I love Japan. I think its maybe my favourite place to tour...

Anyway, here are a few photos...

UenoParkOneManBand.jpg

UenoPark.jpg

ShibuyaNightBuskers.jpg

ShibuyaNight2.jpg

ShibuyaNight3.jpg