Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

Does anyone of you know what "depth of field" is, and what it is used for though?

"Skärpedjup" possibly?

Does anyone of you know what "depth of field" is, and what it is used for though?

"Skärpedjup" possibly?

Aye, but the question really is what it does. And it's practical uses, the translation is good to have though, thanks. I'll go Google it smile_o.gif

A few photos from yesterday, taken with a mobile phone:

NK.jpg

Nordiska Kompaniet in Stockholm - A department store founded in 1902.

tree.JPG

A tree.

XII_s.jpg

A statue, depicting Karl XII. One of Swedens most prominent kings. Click here for the full version.

sergel.jpg

Nice view...

Aye, but the question really is what it does. And it's practical uses

Well if you take a landscape picture you want it deep, cause you want focus all over. If you take a picture of something more specific you may want the background to be more out of focus. Then you use a shorter depth of field. This picture has a short depth of field. It's only focused on a short depth. Kinda. Hope this explaination makes any sense smile_o.gif

Practical use: if that key picture was in total focus, how nice would it be?

Well if you take a landscape picture you want it deep, cause you want focus all over. If you take a picture of something more specific you may want the background to be more out of focus.

Ah, so if I was to take the picture of that key. With my camera, and hold the depth of field button. I wouldn't get the blur? Or the other way around? In any case, thanks smile_o.gif

Goob: Is it an SLR Camera? if so then A "Depth of Field" button on the actual camera will be: (if its a one-way switch you hold down) a DOF Preview buttin that temporarly shows what the current depth of field looks like through the viewfinder. Otherwise if its a multi slector switch it will select which "f-stop" the camera uses. The f-stop controls the APERTURE. The aperture is like an iris in the lens, that lets more or less light in the camera. ie:at a high F-stop ( up to F22 usually) the iris closed to allow a much smaller amount of light in, but offers greater depth of field,ie far and near subjects will be in focus. But since there is less light going into the camera, the shutter will need to stay open for longer... (You need a good tripod to do F22 landscapes!)...

At a low F-stop ( if you have a nice camera it may go down to F2...) the iris opens right up, lets in lots of light, but only a small distance around your subject will be in focus... Great for portraits...

Does this help?

Anyway enough babbling. Heres some more photo's:

These are all from our recent Family reunion! We traced our family back to a guy called James Reed who was a french kid, but his olds sent him away during the French Revolution so he wouldnt be beheaded...The he stowed away on one of Lord Nelsons ships, and over 20 years worked his way up to running his own boat. He sailed out to NZ, discovered Raoul Island (The Kermadecs) which he settled when he married a Maori princess and got lots of war slaves as a present... But Roaul blew up in a volcanic eruption so he had to come settle in Auckland, where I live today... Wow.

Go-AwayLO.jpg

LoFlyinglo.jpg

Eutopia-Cafelo.jpg

Island-Wakelo.jpg

Alien-Beachscapelo.jpg

Goob: Is it an SLR Camera? if so then A "Depth of Field" button on the actual camera will be: (if its a one-way switch you hold down) a DOF Preview buttin that temporarly shows what the current depth of field looks like through the viewfinder. Otherwise if its a multi slector switch it will select which "f-stop" the camera uses. The f-stop controls the APERTURE. The aperture is like an iris in the lens, that lets more or less light in the camera. ie:at a high F-stop ( up to F22 usually) the iris closed to allow a much smaller amount of light in, but offers greater depth of field,ie far and near subjects will be in focus. But since there is less light going into the camera, the shutter will need to stay open for longer... (You need a good tripod to do F22 landscapes!)...

At a low F-stop ( if you have a nice camera it may go down to F2...) the iris opens right up, lets in lots of light, but only a small distance around your subject will be in focus... Great for portraits...

Does this help?

It's a button I have to hold down, and the viewfinder darkens when I do so.

Most, if not all of that confuses me. But I'll just go out with a few rolls of film and experiment with this camera. I hear that's the only way to learn how to really shoot with analogue cameras in any case biggrin_o.gif

Thanks all for the help smile_o.gif

Oh, and the island wake photo is simply amazing!

Yeah its a jetranger (1987 model...Vibrated like it too). The geezer who flies the chopper for my uncles deer farm took us for some mean rides... Helicopters are my favourite smile_o.gif

Must.. have.. prints..

I need stuff for my walls, guys! You really should think about selling prints on ebay or something.

Must.. have.. prints..

I need stuff for my walls, guys! You really should think about selling prints on ebay or something.

Yeah I've been thinking about printing some stuff as well. I've actually already printed some classic pictures of Disney characters and put them in frames. It looks really neat. Now I'm thinking about city and / or Landscape pictures.

smile_o.gif

Wow I love the last 3 Black Knight. Cool.

Thanks guys,

Olympus E-10 4.0 Megapixel smile_o.gif

whitefishlake100.jpg

loneduck100.jpg

toronto100.jpg

misko100.jpg

Toronto2.th.jpg

I can show some pictures of Prague, that I took from the plane on the way back if you guys want.

Just another leet picture by me....

dsadada.jpg

Location: University of Maryland, College Park on a rainy day.

I would posted the Kerry for Douche Bag writing(s) on the ground but the rain wished it away....  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Couple of crappy pictures from last August cottage and boating trip in Saimaa area.

first picture somehow makes me want to listen some Sibelius...

saimaa.jpg

saimaa2.jpg

saimaa3.jpg

saimaa4.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Location: University of Maryland, College Park on a rainy day.

Looks tempting for a nice refreshing jogging.

Some pictures from Athens that I took last weekend.

The original Olympic stadium:

athens1.jpg

Parthenon on Acropolis:

athens2.jpg

athens3.jpg

View of the Dionysus theater from Acropolis:

athens4.jpg

The Heraion near the Agora:

athens5.jpg

The head of a statue at the Agora museum:

athens6.jpg

The Agora museum:

athens7.jpg

Columns at the Zeus temple:

athens8.jpg

View of Acropolis from the Philopappos hill:

athens9.jpg

athens10.jpg

A picture from the huge national park in the center of Athens. As you can see, even modern day greeks have a soft spot for phallic symbols tounge_o.gif :

athens11.jpg

And finally Athena herself, statuette from the museum of archeology:

athens12.jpg

Blake, your pictures made me want to listen to some Sibelius aswell. Not a fan of music like that, usually. But the weather outside seems fitting... I like the one of the little bridge, very nice.

Here are a couple of random ones from a trip to the beach yesterday...

TheLastGameLo.jpg

TheLastGame2Lo.jpg

And a one of my meows, who have become best friends lately...

MonstaLickKaosLo.jpg