Sign in to follow this  
killagee

Xm-8 is a go!

So with these contracts, are the weapons manufactured by HK and shiped to the country buying them? Or does the country buy rights to manufacture a certain number of them and produce it themselves?

hmm plastic?

Well heat it up and it will melt so there goes your high tec weapon. Like what Gollum1 said: upgrade te curently weapons and what are wrong with the weapons we have now?

A gun is a gun it is made to kill and nothing more.

And upgrading is cheaper because:

you dont need to spent the most off the time on the firing range to learn how to use it so thats less money.

smile_o.gif

LOL...

I'm sure the designers of this weapon did something to prevent it from melting...Afterall it is a firearm wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

My understanding is that the new push for the XM-8 has resulted from an urgent need to modernize the footsoldier, after problems found during the invasion of iraq. However the defence department wants this to happen as soon as possible, so this must be done with existing technologies. THe M-29 OICW had become a nightmare, only the HK GX-36 (now the XM-8) portion of the OICW had proven itself. They realised that they can bring this weapon into effect now, and with its modular design, add the 20mm Multi-mode portion when it is perfected later, along with the land warrior elictronics which are also having teething problems. Remember,, that this also spreads the cost across a longer period, making it easier to sell to congress....

And yes, as part of the deal, HK must set up a NEW maunufacturing plant, Hire NEW Americans and source all the parts from within the US sad_o.gif For a "Free Market Economy" you yanks sure love your double standards!...

Quote[/b] ]along with the land warrior elictronics which are also having teething problems

The land warrior is just too big and too complicated.

Quote[/b] ]THe M-29 OICW had become a nightmare

It is and forever will remain a nightmare, unless they can make it much smaller and actually give a reason why its better than the current M203 40mm grenade launchers other than range.

Quote[/b] ]It is and forever will remain a nightmare, unless they can make it much smaller and actually give a reason why its better than the current M203 40mm grenade launchers other than range.

What's wrong with the M203 rock.gif ?

Exactly! They may flag the whole 20mm thing, in favour of a 40mm using the same multi-mode and firecontrol system that is already planned for the XM-8 with 40mm, and in current use with the FN F2000!

umm... the OICW is so much better than the M203 in many ways. it has remote detonation of the grenade so you can detonate it over the target etc...

umm... the OICW is so much better than the M203 in many ways. it has remote detonation of the grenade so you can detonate it over the target etc...

until you run out of batteries...

In a lab setting, yes, yes it is. But labs have the advantage of being relatively free of things like rain, mud, and Murphy's Laws.

I would belive the cocking handle is better on the M16 there you don't have to flip it out first to get it in position.

Plastic get worent out before metal (I think) and what if I bang the gun down in some concret and the fron grib broke then I would think I would have a problem on a M16A2 i could just replace the lower part of the front grib whit the upper. and on the M16A4 I would hopfuly not have that problem.

And why is the carryhandle so big I think it uses a lot of unnesary place.

And what if my optic brakes does it have a emergency sight or do I have get hold of a new sight??

I think they should upgrade the M16/M4 to A5 or somthing and they shoul maby look a Dimaco's C7's and C8's which I think it more relible than the M16/M4.

STGN

Like I said, They are thinking of adding the Mulltimode capability to the munition and firecontrol system of the next generation 40mm grenade launcher. Possibly using the system already developed for the FN Herstal F2000. In the end, they are owned by the same controling company, Along with many of their competitors...:(

Hate to start a reply with such text but there's something I just have to say: This thread has some of the most retarded replys ever seen. The only thing that I can accept such moronic replys has to be that some of you have never actually used assault rifles in action.

First of all, a gun that works is the most precious thing. Accuracy and other attributes come second. The M16 family is quite prone to problems, you should read some reports from Iraq. Even some casualties were directly because of several m16s jamming due to lack of intensive maintenance. This and other defects such as wrong size for modern war most of the companies getting th most action hace replaced M16s with M4s.

Anyway, one could keep talking about the M16 vs the competition but all I have to contribute to this issue is: US soldiers will be really impressed with the performance of G36.. uh I mean XM-8 wink_o.gif

Do we know whether the sniper configuration xm-8 will be 5.56mm or is that when they think people are going to start changing calibres? If so, do we know what the options are? And is the xm-8 going to be, wotchacallit, federally restricted? i.e. like the FN P50, not available to the public. And has there been any talk about a 9mm version for law enforcement? There's that much speculation about this gun on the `Net it's hard to find anything reliable.

Hate to start a reply with such text but there's something I just have to say: This thread has some of the most retarded replys ever seen. The only thing that I can accept such moronic replys has to be that some of you have never actually used assault rifles in action.

If you're referring to the remarks about the appearance, don't take it too seriously! wink_o.gif We're just bored.

And the existing M4s/m16s can be upgraded to be VERY reliable(I've heard... wink_o.gif ).

until you run out of batteries...

rig it up with solar panels so it will work on sun light wink_o.gif

and better idea:

Use weapons from the AK serie: they are the best weapons if you look back in history and they dont jam that much.

so make a deal with Rusia and get thos AK's to the States.

I know the soldiers wont accept it but still you got a good weapon in your hands then.

( not that the weapons from the states arent that good wink_o.gif )

Wouldn't those weigh a ton, not to mention give your position away pretty easily? tounge_o.gif

If you're referring to the remarks about the appearance, don't take it too seriously! wink_o.gif  We're just bored.

And the existing M4s/m16s can be upgraded to be VERY reliable(I've heard... wink_o.gif ).

lol

how come from what i've heard that the M16s are being designed so perfect that it could hardly being better then now?rock.gif

Hey guys, guess what-

None of you are calling the shots. If the "Higher Ups" decide that this will be the weapon to replace the Colt M-series. Then guess what? You can't do jack shit about it. It may be a cheap ass piece of shit. It may be a revolutionary piece in military small arms. Either way, you have no voice in the matter, so don't loose any sleep over it. Also, I would be willing to bet my left nut that very few of you had or will have military experiance, so it isn't something you need to worry about.

Merc

Yeah, let's stop discussing politics since we can't really do shit about it anyway. Why are you even a member of this forum if you feel that way?

rock.gif  rock.gif  rock.gif

yes we can do some thing about this weapon:

( opens up a black briefcas with the txt: There is no secret world dominations plans in here so you dont need to look in here )

erm: part1: Blow up evry thing from the XM-8 wink_o.gif

If you're referring to the remarks about the appearance, don't take it too seriously! wink_o.gif  We're just bored.

lol

how come from what i've heard that the M16s are being designed so perfect that it could hardly being better then now?rock.gif

Maybe you've been watching too much tv and movies tounge_o.gif

And about weapons and military experience, some of us do actually have both wink_o.gif

Also, I would be willing to bet my left nut that very few of you had or will have military experiance, so it isn't something you need to worry about.

Merc

Conscription is a wonderful thing. tounge_o.gif

Hey guys, guess what-

None of you are calling the shots. If the "Higher Ups" decide that this will be the weapon to replace the Colt M-series. Then guess what? You can't do jack shit about it. It may be a cheap ass piece of shit. It may be a revolutionary piece in military small arms. Either way, you have no voice in the matter, so don't loose any sleep over it. Also, I would be willing to bet my left nut that very few of you had or will have military experiance, so it isn't something you need to worry about.

Merc

On the contary, we have quite a few people in uniform on these forums, many who have served in theatre.

Don't forget that some european countires still have conscription.