Sign in to follow this  
AngusHeaf

Wargames addpak

Using Earl & Suchey's USMC Pack when I get killed it displays the infamous "TactHeart Beat sound" error. This time I was using USMC pack vs. WGL VDV units. Is there anything I could do to remedy this error, the pack is great but this same damn error just as in the versions before.

make sure you get rig off tactevents.pbo out of your WGL folder it might be conflicting as i had the same problem...

or reinstall the pack from scratch

or are you usin WGL vs MTCO in a mission ? i think that it may cause conflicks......

When I removed the tactevents.pbo from the WGL folder it gave me this message before running OFP: Addon 'SUCHruss' requires addon 'TACTEvents'. I'm guessing the SUCHruss is from the Marine pack, so does that mean I can't use Earl and Suchey's USMC pack with WGL?

When I removed the tactevents.pbo from the WGL folder it gave me this message before running OFP: Addon 'SUCHruss' requires addon 'TACTEvents'.  I'm guessing the SUCHruss is from the Marine pack, so does that mean I can't use Earl and Suchey's USMC pack with WGL?

ya it could conflict as both sets of soldiers use different CFG's are you usin MOD folders ?

I haven't extensively tested, but... it seems that there are actually 3 different tacevents files. The one from WGL does not work with the marines. There is a marine pack that was modified by the ecp team (look for their thread for the website). This version of the tac events file has not produced any errors for me for either the Marines Pack or the WGL pack. But like I said, I have only used them both in a couple missions. So far so good though.

Okay, so this isn't a problem with WGL stuff.

BTW, as mentioned before, you can fix the tactheartbeat bug by opening up the offending config.cpp and deleting the sounds[] entries.

Hi Folks

Was playing with the WGL mortar system last night and I have to say it is really awesome. The WP is amazing to watch as troops choke and gasp in the fumes. Im having a little problem lining up the mortar. I have read the instructions and tried the demo mission. For some reason when I enter data into the azimuth and elevation cells and hit target the mortar doesnt always adjust. During the gun and target alignment process how long should I hold the mouse button down to get an accurate read.

One thing I tried is I packed up the mortar into the Humvee and drove to a new position to try to shell the enemy position. I had one hell of a time getting the mortar to even point in the right direction. I did the routine correctly from the instructions. Obviously it is very important to click on the map in the right spot when designating the new mortar position.

Also I was trying to get an AI soldier to load the mortar using the action menu. There is an option to tell the AI soldier to load the round but he would go do it. Any ideas? Thanks for the feedback.

The moving mortar is just a dowatch trick. At high elevations (NATO 1500 + ) and in MP it may not look right. Wait five seconds after hitting "target" then fire 'em off.

Also, the map-targeting system is just a cheap targeting computer. It doesn't need you to hold down for longer or shorter periods. All it does is measure the distance and bearing from point a to point b, and the difference in height ASL, then bring up the indexed part of the firing table.

dinger thanks for the reply. The mortar system is working awesome. How does this differ from the CoC system. No obelisk needed for this. Also can the AI soldiers reload the mortar. I cant seem to get them to function even though it is an option on action menu 6.

The difference between this and UA:

UA gives the user the sorts of command and control available at a level somewhere between FDC (Fire Direction Control) and the Forward Observer. UA is ideally used when you want artillery supporting an operation, and plan on having very few humans running the artillery. One person can wield a huge stick.

the WGL_Mortar system gives the user the sorts of control s/he would have standing in front of the tube itself. Basically, you dial in a setting and fire. There's also a targeting computer.

The WGL system is designed for pure pvp adversarial games, where the AI is nonexistent or practically so. Thus ideally each mortar has two people: one to load, and one to press "fire". It will work pretty well with just one person manning it.

so the difference in terms of gameplay is that, with UA, if you want a mortar section of 4 tubes, you place a group of 4 ai mortars on the map, the obelisk and go. With WGL_mortars, if you want a mortar section of 4 tubes, you place four mortars on the map, give htem four human gunners, some crates of shells and go.

In terms of difference "under the hood", the WGL mortars are much simpler. The system for pointing the mortars in the same direction is the same, as is most of the fired EH system (And setvelocity stunts -- although without Bias Error, of course); of course the ol' "LGB hack" is in there too. Instead of a neural network for targeting, however, you get a firing table.

AI reloading? well, they may see your action. In fact, I think the reloading system is done with human players in mind.

You can fake it with some scripting by tapping into the MP reload transport.

ok....I cant find the description.ext file.....were can I find this demo mission for the mortars?

OMG ! It will take my ca. 35min to download this exe.

Why not use zip. ?

Dinger

As always thanks for the great feedback. This is one of the best mods Ive seen so far. Simple yet very well thought out. I love the fact that live people can haul around a deadly weapon like the Mortar. Im going to start converting missions as we speak.

ok....I cant find the description.ext file.....were can I find this demo mission for the mortars?

i know red tempest has Mortars that work

Server rn1.roughnecks.org  biggrin_o.gif

Here is an interesting phenomenon(sp?). Created a mission utilizing the 60mm mortar. Successfully set up the mortar on the tripod. I was starting the targeting phase when all of a sudden a hind flew over my position. As the helo flew over the mortar turned and started to track the helo on its own. The helo came back and the unmanned mortar continued to track the helo. Ever seen this before?

hehe. sounds like someone should have turned off all targeting on the mortar. there's a little gremlin in the mortar that moves the mortar to the azimuth and elevation you set it to on the dialog.

The mortar needs the control dialog

There should be a demo mission somewhere that has that.

and I'm sure red tempest's mortars work great.

Yes, it includes new units.  They are not as flashy and well skinned as Suchey's Marines, rather they are tweaked for WarGames specific use.  The damage value of the soldiers has been modified to take slightly more of a beating, and they have a removeable rucksack that can store extra bundles of mags, satchels, or other equipment.  Items can be removed from the ruck, or the ruck and be dropped completely...pretty ingenious actually.

If you're looking to play WarGames specific missions (c&h, a&d, objective, co-op) stop by The Citadel (the-citadel.us).   smile_o.gif

If you're looking to play WarGames specific missions (c&h, a&d, objective, co-op) stop by The Citadel (the-citadel.us).   smile_o.gif

I have been checking All-Seeing Eye semi-regularly to see if anyone is on the Citadel server as I'd like to play online with the Wargames Pack, but it always seems to be empty. I usually check on evenings here in the UK, so depending on whereabouts in the US the server is the time difference would be anywhere between five and eight hours behind. Do you guys only play on evenings over there? rock.gifunclesam.gif

Hey Rock

I stopped by the Citadel looking for WG missions and I couldnt seem to get them or locate them. I would love to see what you folks design with this brilliant pack. also do you folks haul around the mortars in the backpacks. Those tubes are killing machines.

Yes, it includes new units.  They are not as flashy and well skinned as Suchey's Marines, rather they are tweaked for WarGames specific use.  The damage value of the soldiers has been modified to take slightly more of a beating, and they have a removeable rucksack that can store extra bundles of mags, satchels, or other equipment.  Items can be removed from the ruck, or the ruck and be dropped completely...pretty ingenious actually.

I'm d/ling this pack now......thanks man! smile_o.gif

Munger: Busy times on the Citadel are usually 2200-0100 EST. 13 guys there right now. Maybe a little late for you in the UK. sad_o.gif Its not busy every night of the week, OFP not being as popular as it used to be and all, but we get a decent crowd a few nights a week. The problem we have with this pack is that it really pushes OFP in the tactical direction and not so much in the Hexenkessel direction which is sadly what most folks are looking for. sad_o.gif

gunterland: If you login to the Citadel looking for maps, they all start with "@wg"

COOP nights on the Citadel are Mondays, starting at around

8 PM EST.  smile_o.gif I know alot of people prefer COOP over adverserial stuff, everyone is welcome to stop by.