Sign in to follow this  
Rudedog

Bradley pack by rudedog

Another was my personal favorite, the XM-8 Buford Armored Gun System. The system never went into production (the Bosnia deployments for the US Army took away all it's funding, but the 82nd Airborne took a couple of the prototypes to Iraq this year). It would make me VERY, VERY happy to see this tank in OFP and I'd really like to see it come from you guys (who, it seems, aim towards outstanding quality). I think it would be a perfect fit with your Bradley pack and I would consider it a personal favor if you made it. smile_o.gif

You know, that XM-8 looks like a cross between an Abrams and a WW2 Wolverine... it woulnd't stand against an RPG attack unless it's the heaviest-armored version...  crazy_o.gif

Edit: Plus someone would have to make a C-130 to carry that thing for it to be some real fun...  wink_o.gif

Edit v2: Better yet, someone should make a better C-17 with BAS-like cargo-haulin' capability... at least then one could field 3 of these XM-8s... biggrin_o.gif

yeah the Xm8 is also known as the cclv got canceled awhile ago, anyone know what happend to the stingray light tank looked like a mini abrams with a 105mm main gun like the cclv

The Stingray AFAIK was a tank just built for export... gotta check on who bought it, but I think it was ether the Thai or Singapore Army, but dunno for sure...

Actually, yes, I have thought about doing the XM8.  It was slated as a replacement for the Sheridan, but was dropped due to budget cuts.  It based on the Bradley Chassis, and according to my book, was not meant for close encounters with MBT's.  It was to be used as the Bradleys are when encountering enemy MBTs, hull down and from afar since they had no real armor protection.  

I'll continue to think about this.  West could always use more tanks! smile_o.gif

True... but please don't stick this with the Bradley packs or that would cause a much longer delay. We're going nuts waiting for your Bradleys!!!!

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

True... but please don't stick this with the Bradley packs or that would cause a much longer delay.  We're going nuts waiting for your Bradleys!!!!  

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

No worry, I won't.

You can make the M-8 a glorious follow up to your successful Bradley pack. smile_o.gif

The XM-8 is/was a direct fire support vehicle, i.e. is gives light infantry a very mobile, powerful punch. Say for example that your infantry company is assaulting an objective but one old stone building houses a couple of machineguns that are holding you up. Normally, you'd end up firing your AT weapons at the building to neutralize the threat. Sure it may be effective, but HEAT rockets simply don't pack the punch of a 105mm HE, HE-FRAG or beehive round. Plus, if you fire your AT4s or Javelins at the building, you won't have as many AT weapons to deal with any armor you encounter.

That's the kind of scenario the XM-8 was designed for, though rapid fire and maneuver and some tank-killing capability also exist. It's an infantry support vehicle, not a main battle tank. United Defense just developed a version with the same 120mm gun and fire control system as the M-1A2, though, in an attempt to create something like a tank destroyer. Also, the LOSAT AT system was going to be deployed from the XM-8 chassis. Now I think the plan is to deploy it on the HMMWV.

Thus, there are three really cool variants of this vehicle to make. And if you make these, I promise that I will make you a demo mission where they are air-dropped from a C-130. smile_o.gif

LOSAT without a turret to aim is a kind of stupid idea... better arm the Humvees with a decent ATGM like the ground-to-ground version of the Hellfire, as implemented on the M113, or a light ADATS system altogether...

Yeah, an M-8 would definitely be cool - a lot of people are screaming about the fact that we don't have a good light tank, and that leads to having to use the Abrams in less-than-ideal situations (supporting infantry).

It looked like a very useful addition to the arsenal - hopefully it performs well in combat and they reconsider cancelling it.

I'd download it wink_o.gif

Maybe it had a turret.. I've never seen an M-8 LOSAT pic.  crazy_o.gif

I meant the LOSAT-armed HMMVV... ever seen one of those? It's a stretched HMMVV with some box-like LOSAT launchers stacked on top like excess luggage... looks absolutely puking!! crazy_o.gif

Yeah, an M-8 would definitely be cool - a lot of people are screaming about the fact that we don't have a good light tank, and that leads to having to use the Abrams in less-than-ideal situations (supporting infantry).

Well, what do you have the M60 for?  tounge_o.gif

Its gun is also 105mm...  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I meant the LOSAT-armed HMMVV

97losat.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Well, what do you have the M60 for?

Target practice.

BUZZARD @ May 03 2004,15:07)]

Well, what do you have the M60 for?  tounge_o.gif

Its gun is also 105mm...  biggrin_o.gif

AFAIK, we don't anymore...

Last time I heard of the Patton seeing combat was Desert Storm with the Marines. I'm pretty sure that when everyone got the Abrams, the Patton went the way of the Dodo as far as combat deployment goes.

Not even the National Guard has M-60s anymore. I think most of them are museum pieces, scrapped or donated (to Bosnia, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, etc.). Besides, the M-60 is a HUGE tank, presenting a HUGE profile. Not good for urban combat. Besides that, it's not very deployable. It's a main battle tank - the whole point of the AGS was to have a highly deployable gun system. By ressurecting the M-60A3, you're not going to provide any capability that the M-1A2 doesn't already fulfill. We don't need more tanks, necessarily, but we do need more armor.

One of the big problems about using the M-1A2 in an infantry support role is that is has a jet engine, so you can't stand behind it if you want to take cover and you can't follow it down the street. The M-8 would have come with telephones on the rear so that nearby infantry could just call the tank commander over an intercom when they needed to communicate. It's small things like that that can really make a difference.

saw some new screenshots at ofp.info and must say: RESPECT. those little details are very nice.

but one small thing is disturbing me:

the wheels are still the old 8-side-polygon-objects.

wheel.jpg

i think the bradleys can get a lot of quality if only the visible wheels were made of 16-side-polygon-objects.

saw some new screenshots at ofp.info and must say: RESPECT. those little details are very nice.

but one small thing is disturbing me:

the wheels are still the old 8-side-polygon-objects.

i think the bradleys can get a lot of quality if only the visible wheels were made of 16-side-polygon-objects.

Thank you.  Just trying to save polys whereever possible.  The wheels are concave though and have depth.  Maybe in a later update I'll make them more detailed, as long as they don't cause any problems.  Remember, this is my first addon and will only be the first version of the Bradleys.  They will only get better as I get better at O2.  crazy_o.gif

actual wasn't the Stryker MGS suppost to fill the roll of the XM8?

lol

No, everthing I read said it was an export only vehicle.