Sign in to follow this  
GODSMACK

Usmc gaia island

could someone please post a pic of the Hummer with M2?? and the new soldiers?? i dont wanna download it for something ive never seen..

This island is AMAZING!!!!!!!!

I have never seen so much detail!

If you like Trinity island, you will LOVE this one.

Great work!

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Regarding missions- the pack was released with out missions because the new WGL season begins very soon and we (AngusHeaf and I, et al) wanted to get it out and available to those teams in battle as soon as possible.

I have nearly 50 missions that I have to tweak - but they will be released very soon. There is no way I spent 18 months making this island and then have it fade to obscurity because I was too lazy/stupid to make missions for it (you should know better Avon Lady - I've been around since the beginning).

You won't be disappointed.

Does anyone have a mirror for the addon pack? I have tried three times and I keep getting a corrupt zip file. mad_o.gif

I have a mirror for the island up on @war.

Gaia island.

Bug Report: Backpacks of disassembled heavy weapons turn white when put in the ground,anyone else getting this?

also, im getting a missing M2mag message when i try to rearm the tripod M2

@ Dec. 10 2003,03:24)]hehe, I found some of the names quite ammusing... such as FARP John, FARP Recon Ranger, camp butland, NH DOC, and my personal frav for the funniest... Camp BumpNGrynd biggrin_o.gif

most of the names are members of our squad, USMC-Warriors. Bump happens to be one of our members in good standing, thank you so much smile_o.gif

PS: look around for MCAS Tex biggrin_o.gif

Is it just my PC (personal calculator tounge_o.gif ) or using thousands of trees instead of forest objects is causing quite big lag? That would be strange for specially MP meant island...

Besides object placement here and there could be better. Texture work is quite impressive, but Tonal will remain my favourite island.

As far as remade units are concerned, I like deploying static weapons from vehicles, really cool idea. smile_o.gif

PS. This TOW Launcher - I've seen it somewhere before, just can't remember where.

Is it just my PC (personal calculator  tounge_o.gif ) or using thousands of trees instead of forest objects is causing quite big lag? That would be strange for specially MP meant island...

Besides object placement here and there could be better. Texture work is quite impressive, but Tonal will remain my favourite island.

As far as remade units are concerned, I like deploying static weapons from vehicles, really cool idea.  smile_o.gif

PS. This TOW Launcher - I've seen it somewhere before, just can't remember where.

works fine on my PC, and in all the MP sessions I've participated in. I know it's a bit harsh, but you can't expect every single addon to cater to the lowest common demoninator. Those of us who have upgraded since OFP came out would like to actually reap the fruits of BIS's future-proofing.

Plus handplaced forests look better than those blocky things that the normal OFP islands have.

Edit: many things in the addon pack are culled from the collective fruit of the OFP community. Rest assured that Angus and co. have made sure that anything that has been borrowed has been done so with permission and due credit given.

There are over 500,000 objects - as such - yes it does require something more than a TRS-80 to run it. That being said, I have spent a great deal of time testing, adjusting, modifying, improving, removing, expanding, collapsing, tweaking, verifying, etc in order to find the best balance between gameplay and graphics. There are certain areas on the island that will require you to turn down your viewdistance if you are running a "slower" computer, but it will still run. I have had a wide range of BETA testers and computer speeds looking at this island during development. I am not implying that those with slower computers can simple walk away, on the contrary, I have worked very hard to make this island as playable to as many people as possible. However, as Tex said, I did not focus my attention on people with 500Mhz computers using unmodified original OFP games. The key to the high object count is appropriate spacing. I have played islands/missions that had few objects but were packed very close together and my island had less lag/latency. The best thing I can tell you is to just play it. Adjust your settings and find what works best for you.

My goal with this island was to create an island that would allow for realistic infantry and armor battles. I have also spent a great deal of time viewing the island from the air - thus there are a lot of things you can see only from the air (look at the airport textures for example). I never intended for this map to be used extensively by fixed-wing aircraft. They require a fairly large viewdistance, something I never really liked in OFP anyway.

If you can play Nogova, then you can play Gaia. You may have to adjust some of your settings, but it WILL work. I spent a great amount of time testing in MP. When in areas that have high object count/distance, it generally works best with a higher fog count. This only adds to the ambiance of the missions. I have never seen, nor heard complaints about not being able to see 3000 meters when you can only see 50 meters due to buildings anyway.

Please, download the island and look for yourself. You will NOT be disappointed.

I intentionally removed/left off ALL lights on the island. I did this for two reason: 1.) Lights cause lag, 2.) As a mission maker, it is easier to add lights than remove them.

I spent weeks trying to figure out how to making working runway and city lights - without success. As a result, I had just left them off. I will be releasing a "default" mission that includes these, and other, objects.

phaeden

The pack is fantastic and I noticed in the post it is optimized for MP. Will there be any scripts to deploy crew served weapons like mortars heavy machine guns etc in the manual.

Great job and thanks for the info. Now just add CoC's UA and you have the complete set.

Phaeden handles all the island goodness in the pack while I and a few other anonymous (well they're not that anonymous since they're usually mentioned in the readme) contributors work on the soldiers and vehicles and whatnot.

The island runs great on my 1Ghz Athlon w/GF4 Ti4200. Like was said before, sometimes you have to turn your view distance down a bit. The forest that blankets most of the southern portion of the island is fantastic at 500-700m view distance. No matter how high the view is down there you're not going to see the enemy until they're within spitting distance anyways. Plus with the lower distance you can turn up terrain detail! biggrin_o.gif

Currently the scripts to deploy and assemble crew weapons works with AI. You can command a soldier to deploy a tripod or mount a weapon onto an already deployed tripod. The one exception is that I haven't figured out a way to correctly script AI to add ammo to the guns (automatically or even manually) and mortars. However, if you want to place the guns in static locations and have AI gun them you can use the init line of a gun to add ammo to them. Later this week or next I will be releasing a detailed SDK type thing with all weapon and vehicle/ammo names.

P.S. I have a list of bugs I'm fixing. The white textuers on the backpacks of the M2 and NSV are in there and fixed. There will be a patch soon for that and a few other minor bugs.

And yes, everything used in the pack was done with someone's permission, and in the case of a few addons, additional help. Laser and Edge did a lot to let me remove the backpacks off of their soldiers so that I could use the WG backpack system instead and I appreciate that greatly.

Absolutely incredible! PLEASE say this will work inconguntion with FDF mod! The amount of hours that must have gone into this is stunning! I am well impressed!

Any addon conflicts known with this so far?

Now I know why it lagged to me - I had two copies of game running at the same time. No comments biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Many of the units give me a CDT when I transfer weapons around, and there a few (very few) texture lod things. The Island is by far the best island for OFP yet! FDF East Border 2nd and Tonal 3rd.

I am so glad to have 1.5gig of ram, AMD 2500 and 128mb FX5600! This map does not lag for me one bit!

I think you need to have a look at some of the east crew served weapon units, as some give me a ctd when I preview.

The complex startup procedures are incredible! just tryed the hind. Is it like this for all of them?

Also, which Airfield is it that is AI capable? I had 1 out of 3 Aircraft take off from The international airport successfullt, but no ai could land. The FDF Pier cheiftan landed real nice then spontaneously exploded.

The weapons range is fantastic. Playing around with it now...

It is gonna take me hours to pick a spot for my next mission... The port is nice, or manybe the city, or one of the three airports... or the resort, or one of the many ambush spots...

Anyway, have to go to work for three days, so I am sure when I return there will be pages and pages in this thread...

If you are wearing a hat, take it off to the people who made this Mod.!

Known conflicts at this time?

smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gifghostface.gif

Great work Phaeden, the island has improved much since the beta! I am very impressed with all the work you have put into it smile_o.gif

RED

Killagee.... CTD issues with a few soldier classes have been remedied a few hours ago and will be in a patch. They were simply a case of 1 too many magazines in inventory. D'oh!

Yes all of the choppers have the start-up checklist. I'm working with some more people to get even more accurate startup checklists and sounds (I'd love more accurate sounds). Also, I don't know if you actually flew the choppers but each chopper has an accurate top speed limit. Start with the OH-58D Kiowa on the ground, get in, warm it up, and then fly it at 250kph and see what happens.

I like very much this island smile_o.gif

Take off procedure is great, but i had some problems with AH-1 and AH-64. It has applied speed limits even when AI controlled. I made a test missin to just fly aroud island to check lagg, and with both choppers i couldnt finish it, because AI was countinuosly breaking speed limits what was causing chopers dammages and in the end - destroying it sad_o.gif

Even on my PIII600 island is not laggy very much, only from time to framerate is going down.

Testing more smile_o.gif

As I have stated in numerous other forums, Gaia is simply breathtaking. I would say more, but I ran out of superlatives in the previous posts. The towns and cities are *finally* more than wee hamlets with two houses and a dog (with a slight limp). The fields are stunning, and the forests finally look like forests! BIS had a good idea with turning the forest in a square with a single texture around it when viewed from a long distance, but it looked thoroughly silly when viewed from a higher vantage point (say, a mountain). But this... this is a forest! And one you can drive through with a tank, too:)

Still, AI has some major trouble with pathfinding. At one point, my troops were unable to get out of a garden:/

But the port... wow, really very very nice. Especially the derelict town S of the port. It really has the feel of 1900 labourer housing in London:)

The units are very, very nice. It's nice to see that this pack has really been created with MP in mind (the distinction between Team Leader and Squad Leader, for example). I recall someone complaining that the East troops were rather poor compared to Res and West, but I would have to disagree: the VDV troops for example are great. So are all the weapons: a level of detail that has left me speechless. There are indeed a few blank textures, but it's good to hear that it has been fixed.

The wounding script is what I really like best about OFP. Now if only it would also have consequences for the AI (it doesn't does it??) I would be a happy man:)

In sum, this pack makes the maxim "OFP the way it was meant to be" ring a great deal more believable. I am really looking forward running up a hill with my ammo bearer, while the bullets whizz by and a BMP explodes behind us, setting up the tripod and machine gun, and having it belt fed by the ammo bearer while the 12.7 rounds rip the enemy to shreds... Mmmm... Can't wait to get my hands on those mission.

Excellent work gentlemen!