Sign in to follow this  
Impavido

Flying without an aircraft?

One thing the first OFP had that I liked was how light weight vehicles and dead bodies would get some air-time when hit with explosions.

What I would like to propose for OFP2 is tat this feature be expanded to include soldiers who survived the explosion. In OFP you just stood there and maybe fell down if your character was lucky enough to survive and explosion. It would be great if you were flung up into the air and you watched in first person as the disorientating flight sends you 10-20 feet from where you last stood...maybe even a slow motion feature for this during single-player would be great!

if you survived a blast your going to be in bad shape, and a fall from as you say 10-20ft would most likely finish you off

besides, you do sometimes fly abit while still alive... its rare but does happen

A good idea, although I hope the physics are right. At the moment, depending on the size and angle of a nearby explosion, soldiers (corpses) can get flung ridiculous distances. If, say, a mortar shell flung a nearby soldier 2-5m or something, it would seem pretty realistic. Combine that with a ragdoll-like animation system (rather than the premature rigor mortis OFP corpses seem to be inflicted with), and you'd be on a winner smile_o.gif

That's mainly about getting killed I suppose, but it would work well for survivors also. I'm not sure whether a ragdoll system would work for characters that weren't dead, only 'flying', but it would be great if you were blown a couple of metres away, lying face down, disorientated for a few seconds (maybe concussed, temporarily shell-shocked) and maybe injured in some way.

I can think of those moments now when you'd be advancing with your squad only for a mortar shell to land smack-bang in the middle of you, throwing you 3 metres away, disorientated but unharmed while the rest of your squad is dead/wounded. It sounds macabre, but I love those moments when you can't believe you've actually survived. smile_o.gif

One thing the first OFP had that I liked was how light weight vehicles and dead bodies would get some air-time when hit with explosions.

Something like this??? hell no!

splash.jpg

I think it's a flying ural truck blasted in the air by a laser-guided bomb from a thunderbolt. I don't think truck is a light weight vehicle and that one being "some" air-time (I hope you guys see the pic)

Occasionally I see the bouncing jeeps go by in OFP. Some strange quirk of physics that makes you laugh your tail off.

However, there's a pic on rotten.com that I saw recently of an 8 wheeled bmp type APC full of Afghanistani's that got hit by a HE projectile or Missile and you can see the bodies get flung for miles. It does happen like that. It just looks weird getting half stuck in the dirt and then floating back to the surface or getting suspended in a tree or off the edge of a ledge like in OFP.

HKMW

ghostface.gif I make dead people

However, there's a pic on rotten.com that I saw recently of an 8 wheeled bmp type APC full of Afghanistani's that got hit by a HE projectile or Missile and you can see the bodies get flung for miles. It does happen like that. It just looks weird getting half stuck in the dirt and then floating back to the surface or getting suspended in a tree or off the edge of a ledge like in OFP.

I think you're talking about the BTR-60 (variously referred to as Chechen, Russian or Afghani - no-one can seem come to any agreement) with soldiers sitting on the roof that rolls over an AT mine or improvised explosive set on the road. The bodies do indeed go flying everywhere, but the BTR stays on the ground, albeit with considerable damage. Nasty stuff...

I agree, that's how the explosion system should be modelled, but its doubtful that soldiers would 'take off' to the extent that did on the BTR if they were in a position other than directly over an explosion of that size.

Hopefully if the system BIS devises considers the variable size/power of explosions, its angle relative to soldiers or vehicles & implements a proper physics system (ie. the influence the explosion will exert on an object of a certain mass), we should get something pretty accurate & spectacular smile_o.gif