Sign in to follow this  
KJAM

British army

is there any british army guys in these forums, if so can you tell me what its like, because i may be joining in a year or two (to give myself time to build up my physical and mental strength). Particularly in the field of IT/Comms. because thats what i want to do.

Reason why im doing this?

idunno my granddad was a Desert Rat in WWII (he survived the whole thing but sadly died defore i was born) and for some reason that makes me wanna join up

Thanks, KJAM

My brothers in the field of Combat. I think my brother likes it and is quite rewarding. KJAM talk to some of the soldiers on the British Army carrers site on the chat.

I think its a good choice to make.

I am thinking of joining the Armed Forces (99.9% i will), but not sure where to go.

I am thinking of joining the Armed Forces (99.9% i will), but not sure where to go.

combat engineers

in my opinion the most rewarding since you learn interesting stuff for post-military life and it offers good reconversion occasions and by today's world climate , you get to do quite a lot of field trips and do some interesting things

lucky for me the Careers HQ in my area is about 10 mins away from where i catch my bus to college, and ill check out the careers chat thing, i wonder if there is any IT/Comms on the Front line, i wouldnt mind that. or i might just go in for a plain infantry role

my major concern is the Basic training and being fit enough, i know they build you up there but i dont want to dissapoint their first opinion of me and i want to be ready for them, im reading all the stuff you have to do now for a Combat post (Infantryman)

Quote[/b] ]Latest Nottingham Forest Match: Nottingham Forest 2 - 2 Wigan

Hey you played against my homies (Wigan) biggrin_o.gif lol

Yer, a good thing is to be fit when you go in as the training will be alot easier and you will already be use to do press ups and running etc.

http://www.army.mod.uk/careers/it_comms/index.html

try to get alot of information from the careers office, and if you go think of questions to ask (i forgot to ask and now i want to ask loads). i might phone them tomorrow.

I was thinking of doing either

1: RAF pilot

2: RAF Regiment Gunner

3: Navy pilot

4: Army Air Corps

basic rule of thumb for going for any of the UKs armed forces, you will need to be able to run 3 miles in no more than 24 minutes and im not sure for all trades, but being able to swim is also required

dont make the mistake i did though of not being totally ready when applying, you only get 2 chances... i screwed my first one up, dont follow my example

thats why im giving myself 2 years to get training lol.

just tried that officer test thing and got 68/80, which they said was excellent, on my only try too. though im not gonna use that as a benchmarks as to how well my real skills would compare

Speak to the careers guys. If you are at university join an OTC. Take what the career guys say with a pinch of salt, if possible speak to someone not on the careers team.

Scaleys and such have slightly easier CFTs than infantry, although you will definitely need to be fit.

Toughen up your feet + shoulders (by walking long distances carrying a fair bit of weight in a good rucksack)

Start drinking heavily; you'll need the practice

I would definately reccommend joining one of the University Units (UAS,OTC,URNU) as they can help you a lot to decide whether this is what you want as a career.

For any information on the british army just check here   tounge_o.gif

The British Army

Keep the jokes out please though i may have a look later.