Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Deus ex 2 sp-demo out

Totally agree, Red.

IMO skill-points was the main part that really gave Deus Ex some character if you know what I mean. To "feel" that you are getting better throughout the game.

The higher the multisampling the more strain on your videocard which I don't think we need with this demo tounge_o.gif

I set it to 1.

Only issue from the demo that might have been changed afterwards (without delaying the game) might be the ammo-system, but I doubt it. This game smell too much console and arcade with light-effects and physics being their main focus.

But I sure hope Warren Spector will prove me wrong.

I was thinking of maybe preordering the game, but this definitely made me change my mind sad_o.gif

I only hope Harvey Smith doesn't have anything to do with DX3 if this is the best he can do.

So what do you guys think of it? Worse than the origonal is the vibe im getting. Im not even going to try it on my PC - it struggles with flashpoint.

If you ask me the only way they could make deus ex better is if they took the origonal engine, ideas, EVERYTHING, but tweaked it and made it better, and had a new storyline. (eg stuff like new skills, etc.)

One of the things I like about deus ex 1 is the fact that it runs smoothly on my PC smile_o.gif

If you ask me the only way they could make deus ex better is if they took the origonal engine, ideas, EVERYTHING, but tweaked it and made it better, and had a new storyline. (eg stuff like new skills, etc.)

DX2 is a step backwards if you ask me.

I still have hope. the thing that I loved the most of deus ex was the storyline and as in the demo we cant judge that I am gonna hold back my critical eye. I wasnt expecting dxiw to be a masterpiece anyways (halflife2 has that task), just a great game to play

TWEAKS:

How to save keyboard setup:

C:\My Documents\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\user.ini (not the one in the installation-dir)

right-click and choose properties, remove "READ-ONLY" and click apply.

Improving sound-quality:

\installation dir\system\Default.ini

Open in notepad. Search for "outputbitrate" (without the quotes)

Change to

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">OutputRate=44100Hz

Improving graphics:

\installation dir\system\Default.ini

Open in notepad. Change the following:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">VolumetricLighting=True

UseTrilinear=True

DetailTextures=True

Use32BitTextures=True

this is the unreal engine isnt it, so why have they made it not support gf4mx and down, these cards are used by alot of budget gamers, and like me see no worthwhile card to upgade to yet. Imight just get a ti4200 performs well in the games i play.

Pixel shaders i dont like em, sure u can make sum good looking stuff but unless you have a top o the line computer it kills performance for a small bit of eye candy, look at halo.

With the graphics-tweaks I posted I can finally play at 1024x768, 4x multisampling, blooming(if I want), max shadows, max lightning and max characters detail with a nice playable framerate.

I ran at 1280x1024, maxed settings, great rate. (P4 2.53, Radeon 9800)

I think the hud is a bit akward, and sort of intrusive. (Should be along the screen edge, like DX1, and most other FP games. Visible, but out of the way) I think the demo mission was nothing great. Also agree about the inventory.. liked having the old "bricK" system, where you hade x number of spaces, each item took up a set number. Made you have to limit what you carry, rather than 1 of each weapon class.

Overall, I am still optimistic. Part of what made Deus Ex great, IMO, was the stroy. The demo does not present this to the player, well, because it is a demo. You have no idea what led up to this mission. I think if the game has a good story, it will be great, as the last was. My only problems were cosmetic at most (The HUD, inventory, etc.) Imagine you will still get "mods" for the gizmos you stick in yourself . REALLY hope that EXP and skill is also a part. Appears not, but will know for sure when I hold the release in my hands.

At the least, I thought it looked great. Graphics were top notch, IMO.

DX2 demo requires Pixel Shader 1.1 mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

So my Geforce4 MX 440 won't run it...and Edios lose my money, and a lot of other people's. Well....now I'm just going to look forward to STALKER.

I don't see why. It runs absolutely everything just fine...except this one demo.

GF 4 MX got the capability of a GF 2 MX if you see what I mean, have no idea why they have release such a crappy card...

and new games are going to require that you buy a more recent video card, GF 4 is not the best choice since it only support Direct X 8.1 and not 9 (unless you really want an Nvidia and don't want to spend a lot of money)

other wise, if your low on budget, go for a Radeon 9200 PRO

or if you have some more money, I would recomend you go with Radeon 9600 PRO (I can get one for 250$ CDN) or XT (if you have some extra cash)

or if you have money to waste, go for the Radeon 9800 PRO or XT

forget about the Nvidia FX series, they all suck really bad and are a waste of money, Radeon beat them all, which I found sad since the nvidia drivers are better....but since the hardware is not worth much, I guess the good driver are useless sad_o.gif

Yes...I know all that. Those Radeons cards weren't around when I bought my card. Ultimately though, why bring out a game that requires such a top-end card...as opposed to a game which makes use of DX 8.1+ FX if you have the capability? Why limit your market so dramatically?

the FX cards are not that bad, they beat ATI cards in Open gl games, and do very well in q3 engined games which just love nvidia cards, at 800x600 some benchmarks put a ti4200 ahead of a 9800xt :P. The fx cards just fall behind in pixel shaders, but run older games better and have less issues with most games and are about 100$ cheaper(in my currency). It all comes down to what games you play, open gl dx8 dx9, my games are open gl and dx8 so ild go nvidia, plus i run linux and nvidia linux drivers r top notch.

I think I'm gonna try putting in my first video card back in... Diamond S220 or something like that... PCI, 4mb memory, oohhhh what a beast. IMO, ATI cards have more longevity at the moment. (will double check Nvidia's FX 5700 & 5950s, they may have beefed em up to be at least competitive to ATI in the newest engines coming out. If so, then the 5700 is likely the best route to take if you want to stay in the Nvidia camp. Though I have an ATI 9800, I do like the Digital Vibrance my brother gets on his FX card... wish ATI would do something similar. smile_o.gif When he is over and we hook up on LAN, IMO, it really makes OFP look great!) Doesn't seem like it does much when you first turn it on, but I was on his PC, turned it on mid, then max, thought that it didn't do much, but then I turned it back off, and WOW!

Doesn't seem like it does much when you first turn it on, but I was on his PC, turned it on mid, then max, thought that  it didn't do much, but then I turned it back off, and WOW!

The mind works funny that way. It's always easier to see negativity wink_o.gif

If Radeon does not have Digital Vibrance I'm so not buying a Radeon. I must confess that I have been looking at a few Radeons to possibly replace my Ti4600, but I'm not looking anymore from now.

Thanks for the headsup, Leone smile_o.gif

As for the topic of DX2:

I highly doubt experience and skill-points will be implemented.

One reason: look at the crosshair. Its static. mad_o.gif

I remember reading an interview with Warren Spector. He said something like this: we removed the typical first-person-shooter elements we did'nt need from the unreal-engine for DX2.

I think he meant the other way around, that they removed the RPG-elements.

This game is closer to Unreal2 than Deus Ex 1. crazy_o.gif

But even Unreal2 has separate ammo for each weapon.

I think we can blame the X-box part of the game for that. Console-games are more simplefied than PC-games when it comes to 1st person shooters.

My "proof" for this statement: look in default.ini and you'll see that they have'nt even bothered to remove the X-box-section of parameters for this game. This game smells more and more like a port from the x-box. crazy_o.gif

In the past, Warren Spector has been known to be very good at taking self-critic, so I won't throw too much shit his way. I'll wait and see if he has done any drastic changes for the european pc-version (us-release: dec'03, euro-release: feb'04). I think this is just to get a "allmost finnished game" out before x-mas in the us-market (big market), then finnish the project and release for the rest of the world along with a patch for the US in february.

I think I'm gonna try putting in my first video card back in... Diamond S220 or something like that... PCI, 4mb memory, oohhhh what a beast. IMO, ATI cards have more longevity at the moment. (will double check Nvidia's FX 5700 & 5950s, they may have beefed em up to be at least competitive to ATI in the newest engines coming out. If so, then the 5700 is likely the best route to take if you want to stay in the Nvidia camp. Though I have an ATI 9800, I do like the Digital Vibrance my brother gets on his FX card... wish ATI would do something similar. smile_o.gif When he is over and we hook up on LAN, IMO, it really makes OFP look great!) Doesn't seem like it does much when you first turn it on, but I was on his PC, turned it on mid, then max, thought that  it didn't do much, but then I turned it back off, and WOW!

ya, I might look into the FX5700 ultra who is a bit better in benchmark test over the Radeon 9600 PRO, depend on the prize

At Best Buy.com they have FX 5700 ultras for $219.99, and there's a FX 5900 (non ultra) for $249, Plus a $50 rebate off that. Not sure how those 2 stack up, will check out what the 5700/5950 added (if extra pipelines and/or shaders, or just higher clocked)

Also, on Gamespy, there is an article on a preview "play" on the "99% complete" version they had at the time. Unfortunately, it doen't go into much detail on game mechanics (Exp, upgrades, etc). (Ah, that was one I forgot too, the WEAPON upgrades you could get.. Rate of fire, ammo capacity, silencers, scopes, etc. I loved being able to dress up your favorite gun(s).

the 9700, 5950, 9600 XT and 9800 XT are just the standard cards with a better fan and higher clock speed.