Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Deus ex 2 sp-demo out

133479fil.jpg

Just saw that Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is out.

I know its not very similar to OFP, but taken Deus Ex popularity into consideration I'm guessing I'm not the only Deus Ex-fan on this board. wink_o.gif

224MB sp-demo (Fileplanet)

Its a fileplanet exclusive thing, I beleive. Meaning you have to subscribe.

Nope to both smile_o.gif

but it took me only 15 minutes in line untill it was my turn.

I heard that the fileplanet exclusive thing will stay for one day , then you should be able to find this demo everywhere.

As i liked the first game , i hope this sequel will be as good , and that the graphic upgrade of this no2 will not mean a sacrifice of all that was interesting in the first opus.

I'm not a fileplanet-subscriber and I'm downloading from the UK fileplanet-mirror smile_o.gif

oh and the demo was released 3-4 hours ago.

downloading now smile_o.gif

I just hope that my GF2 T400 64MB will be able to support it sad_o.gif

EDIT : NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! my GF2 cannot launch the game!!! arg! crazy_o.gif

d/l now. W/ Warren Spector, I feel I cannot go wrong. smile_o.gif Haven't played all the games he was involved in (most though), but haven't played one I did not love. Ultimas, Wing Commanders, Thief, and Deus Ex all were, IMO, excellent games. Can't wait to get my grubby little mits on the full release!

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo downloading this! biggrin_o.gif

been waiting for this moment a long time!!! edit o boy I love u, there is like no waiting time on fileplanet right now hurry. thx for letting us know 2nit and not tmr! edit

Is it just me or did this demo seem a little.. dead? I still remember the first (which I so joyfully smashed my CD of), and I find this pitiful compared to it...

Another odd thing, I get a helluva lot of artifacts onscreen, is this caused by Anti Alias'ing and Anisotropic filtering? Or is it just the Catalyst drivers?

Great! I have been waiting for this for ages now biggrin_o.gif I can't wait to give this a run.

P.S. Australia is going down!

RED

Great! I have been waiting for this for ages now  biggrin_o.gif I can't wait to give this a run.

P.S. Australia is going down!

RED

PS....shut up shut up shut up mad_o.gif

wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Another odd thing, I get a helluva lot of artifacts onscreen, is this caused by Anti Alias'ing and Anisotropic filtering? Or is it just the Catalyst drivers?

It says in the readme that they don't support catalyst3.8

It also say that you will get graphical artifacts and that the demo will eventually crash.

I get piss-poor framerate and a very sluggish mouse.

I got the same behaviour in COD with the same drivers (det45.23) so I'm downgrading to 43.25 now (which worked fine in COD). Strangely though COD (and possibly DX2) is the only game that have that effect with 45.23

I'm not sure what I think of DX2. Like pong2cs say: it's a little dead. The weapons look a little futuristic. Gone is the cool inventory where you have to think a little about where to put the items (only slots now). The item- and biomod-hud is annoying.

And the demo forgets my key-setup when loading a map... sad_o.gif

I seem to have a fine framerate on my 1Ghz PC, I don't like the HUD all that much to be honest sad_o.gif

@Leone: All I have to say is  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  

RED

DEUS EX 2! Yesssss. I haven't finished the first one though. I got to the chinese ship, but then my friend wanted the game back. sad_o.gif  It's an awesome game. Hope DX2 is as good. Will it work with my Riva TNT2? (I really need a new graphics card crazy_o.gif )

I seem to have a fine framerate on my 1Ghz PC, I don't like the HUD all that much to be honest sad_o.gif

RED

What graphics card you got?

My Ti4600 seems to be struggling. Helps quite a bit if I disable blooming though, but then the lightning does'nt look as good.

I've made up my mind about the hud. I simply don't like it or the inventory for that matter. But the physics are very cool.

Hopefully it's just a bug or lack of optimisation in the demo.

I'm running 1024x768, medial characters, low on shadow and environment and 1xmultisampling.

Quote[/b] ]Will it work with my Riva TNT2?

It does'nt even support GF4-MX cards so I doubt it will start with a TNT-card  wink_o.gif

I just browsed the Deus Ex 2 forum and I think everyone has framerate and mous-lag issues. Even people with P-IV 3.2 and Radeon 9800pro and 1+GB of RAM.

One thing you might want to test out is changing mouselagthreshold in user.ini from 75 to 0.

Some people have tried it and it decrease mouse-lag a bit they say.

update: I can verify that setting mouselagthreshold to 0 eliminates mouse-lag but frame-rate still sucks though.

DEUS EX 2! Yesssss. I haven't finished the first one though. I got to the chinese ship, but then my friend wanted the game back. sad_o.gif  It's an awesome game. Hope DX2 is as good. Will it work with my Riva TNT2? (I really need a new graphics card crazy_o.gif )

TNT2??!! I just said earlier that my GF2 could not run the game! so you can forget it with your TNT2 sad_o.gif

i'm gonna buy myshelf a Radeon 9600 (need to decide between PRO and XT) once I get the money, otherwise I won't be able to play those nice games coming

RED

What graphics card you got?

My Ti4600 seems to be struggling. Helps quite a bit if I disable blooming though, but then the lightning does'nt look as good.

I've made up my mind about the hud. I simply don't like it or the inventory for that matter. But the physics are very cool.

Hopefully it's just a bug or lack of optimisation in the demo.

I'm running 1024x768, medial characters, low on shadow and environment and 1xmultisampling.

Quote[/b] ]Will it work with my Riva TNT2?

It does'nt even support GF4-MX cards so I doubt it will start with a TNT-card  wink_o.gif

I just browsed the Deus Ex 2 forum and I think everyone has framerate and mous-lag issues. Even people with P-IV 3.2 and Radeon 9800pro and 1+GB of RAM.

One thing you might want to test out is changing mouselagthreshold in user.ini from 75 to 0.

Some people have tried it and it decrease mouse-lag a bit they say.

update: I can verify that setting mouselagthreshold to 0 eliminates mouse-lag but frame-rate still sucks though.

I have a GF4Ti4600, I am running at 800 * 600 with no problems. I have high character, low shadows and 2 * multisampling.

RED

Great News, i never played the first game but i am eagerly awaiting this one biggrin_o.gif

now if only a HL2 demo would get released mad_o.gif

The reason GF2 and GF4-MX does'nt work is because they don't support pixel-shaders.

@RED: I'm running 800x600, characters: high, shadows and light: low, 1x multisampling which results in terrible image uality and good framerate.

I'm not impressed by this demo. Both technically and gameplay. It simply is'nt Deus Ex. They've ripped out what made Deus Ex stand out and compiled a generic 3d-shooter for the xbox  mad_o.gif

no skillpoints, generic ammo, too futuristic weapons (matter of taste), no stealth, the inventory-handling.

Like everyone say on the official forum: Ion Storm screwed the Deus Ex-fans and made a 3d-shooter for a console.  crazy_o.gif

There is simply no RPG-element in this one.

@Shadow: I read that turning the multisampling up to *6 helps framerate (I haven't tried this yet)

I agree with some of your comments, I have no idea why they chose to get rid of skill points, used generic ammo, changed the hacking and inventory system. This kinda messed up the demo, along with the chunky engine.

The good side is that it is only a demo, do you remember the DX1 demo? I had bad framerate problems with that demo. Some good points of DX:IW are: The convocations seem to work very well still (apart from the pauses between speech lines being a bit long) There are quite a few ways to complete the level, stealth still works too some extent.

If they bring back the skill system, add more augmentations, change the inventory system (drag and drop at least) and fix the framerate, I am sure they will have a winner smile_o.gif Though I think they would have to delay the game by a couple of months if they do this.

RED

Damn the world!

I've yet to play the demo, but it seems that my hopes for an even better version have been dashed. I bought two copies to Deus Ex because I liked it so much. Hopefully my cynicism will be proved wrong.