Sign in to follow this  
Wilco

The unsung sky pack released

Howdy boys,

Well, me and Drow have talked, and decided to give you guys a taste of the new sky pack so we can get some constructive criticism and make it better.

THIS IS A BETA!

http://www.ofpnam.com/unsungfiles/skywater.rar

Installation is like Kegety's, I may make a zip with just the replacement files for you guys that can't get it to work.

UnsungSky5L.jpg

UnsungSky4L.jpg

UnsungSky3L.jpg

OK, without having d/l the pack yet, is it possible to have this pack AND Keg's hisky installed, so you can choose between them, maybe with a mod folder or something? If possible, I'd really like to be able to swirch between both... wink_o.gif

BIG THANKS to OFPNAM for hosting!

yea sure it is, its set up as a mod folder.

use,   -mod=namsky (for our sky), OR -mod=hisky (for kegetys), in the target field for your two shortcuts (one for keg's, one for ours)

but that would need 600mb !!!! of space on your drive... kinda a waste if you ask me, but try it out, then delete out the folder you dont like afterwards. wink_o.gif

Any comments?

I will tommorow just ZIP the sky pac's up so that people can just copy their dta.pbo and then overwrite the old ones with these and try it. smile_o.gif

Looks great but does this have the blue tint effect that Keg's has when it rains??

That is a great effect imo, u should implement it if u have not already done so smile_o.gif

Yep....which files are you replacing? Just the three skies, or the four clouds and the rain as well? smile_o.gif

I have a couple comments.

1: There are four very noticable seams in the sky texture when it's clear. They aren't terribly noticiable when it's cloudy. It does kind of ruin the effect of the really nice clouds, though.

2: IMO, the sky is way too blue when it rains. I've never seen clouds take on that tinge before.

Other than that, it's very nice. The clouds look more convincing than kegetys', but those seams are distracting for me. It'll be a tough call deciding which to use.

BTW, are there any plans for a version with bluer water? The brown water fits Vietnam and jungle islands really well, but it looks a bit odd on Malden.

Looks good, can't wait to try it. Stupid 56k, download faster consarn-it!!

EDIT: Woohoo! biggrin_o.gif

Hey...good job: Wilco & Drow.....

But I have got some negative comments on this modified Sky & Sea....

1.  The sky is too blue during dark raining day. (screen 1)

2.  not very comfortable with Yellow Sea. (screen 2)

3.  Most terrible one is the Sky suture. (screen 3, 4). It is more prominent than Kegety's HiSky, which make sky being patched.

4.  The background sky is still showing to be rough or many dots in biocculars' view or even in shooting mode view. (screen 5) (is there anyway make it silky and smooth ? )

5.  the last bit, the weather seems to change too fast or abruptly. e.g raining suddenly become sunny or vice verse...

Keep working on this potential addon...more players would like it......

Screen 1:

SNAG-0065.jpg

Screen 2:

SNAG-0066.jpg

Screen 3:

SNAG-0067.jpg

Screen 4:

SNAG-0070.jpg

Screen 5:

SNAG-0068.jpg

Definitely, it is unfair just to give -ve feedback...

Personlly, I like it more than Kegety's hisky in some areas:

e.g.

1. more realistic cloud and texture

2. more sky colour appearing for some instance e.g. green ?(even it is not very realistic, but I like this.......hehe.....)

biggrin_o.gif

drbd.gif

This is why one of the reasons this is beta. We will get all of these bugs fixed and then send out another one. smile_o.gif

This is why one of the reasons this is beta.

I had no idea it was beta based on the thread's title, the first post and it's location in the ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE forum.

I think all beta release have to be posted here in th A&M C forum its in the rules smile_o.gif

Btw thanks for posting those pics now i know i can wait till the next release wink_o.gif

I say, excellent work! To be quite frank I find these skies better than Kegetys' ones... Except, indeed, for those fairly blatant seams sad_o.gif The remark about the cloudy skies being very blue is indeed true, but I can't say I find it too disturbing: they have this nice 'heavy', oppressive feeling that storm cloud have:)

Nice work, can't wait for the final release!

regards,

Xawery

I will talk to Drow tonight about the seams and spots. We WILL have this fixed to be one of the best sky packs released, and I promise you that.

Yes! This is, in my opinion, a better skytexture than Kegetys hisky. Fix the things xPeter mentioned and I will use it.

Are you using the same method as Kegetys when it rains so there is more blue color?

this was a saturday project everyone.

if and when i put my time and effort back into it i will fix all these things that i already knew were wrong with it.

but i dont think i will release a beta ever again.

thanks Avon mad_o.gif

@drow  Was it bad to release it? Theres mostly positive feedback and constructive feedback in this thread.

It doesnt surprise me that you already new of the issues but (atleast for me) it gives something to look forward to. This is something I´d like to see finished! I hope you give it the time it needs!

This is why one of the reasons this is beta.

I had no idea it was beta based on the thread's title, the first post and it's location in the ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE forum.

Could you please then direct me to the ADDONS & MODS: BETA thread?  Perhaps?

I'm pretty sure this doesn't belong in the Discussions thread, mainly because we aren't not discussing an addon, we're releasing one.

Also Avon:  Usage of this Forum please read the first post of this topic  smile_o.gif   Thank you

Here is where is supose to be.

Anyway. I just downloaded and installed and play with it, biggrin_o.gif niiiiiiiice, I like it, and maybe the blue is a bit too much, and not too reall, but I like it aswell.

I been playing with the Nam pack 2, and I got to be onest, I can't wayt to see some new stuff released.

I never been a fan of Nam missions, and the Nampack2 is been in my hard drive for a long time, may be I just gived my OFP copy a bit more flavour with this sky and water and I fancie a bit more Nam stille stuff... hummm.